Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #1

SD Card will not stay in

After several months of use my K200 is giving me grief. The SD card will not insert and stay. I insert it and then instead of staying in, it pops back out. Is the only solution a visit to the repair shop?

04-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Forum Member

Well if you already realize this I apologize, but you may not realize that the SD slot has a built in ejector. The way you make the card eject is to push it further into the slot, and then it pops out.

It works like a mechanical pencil.

So if that got pushed to the eject position, and you then just put the card in, put not enough to switch it out of the eject position, it could pop right back out.

So try pushing it far in and see if it clicks into place.
04-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your write light will blink a couple of times when the card is in the correct position.
04-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes I realize the issue about eject position and I know that the light blinks. However, the catch that holds the SD in must be malfunctioning because no matter how many times I push it in, and hold it, it pops back out. The "catch" that holds it in must be mallfunctioning.
I haven't found any place that suggests this is a common problem with the camera so it must just be mine.
It is still under warranty and so I'll go back to the place I purchased it and see what they can do.

04-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
jeffkpotter

I had this happen to me on my K10d. I believe it was caused, at least on mine, by a very small shaving of plastic coming off the SD card and jamming in the locking mechanism. Other very small pieces of foreign matter will do this too. If the card seats properly when the door closes then I would just leave it alone and try to live with it. Of course you have to open the door slowly and carefully during card removal! Check your cards very closely. SD cards are very fragile and often flawed. You are not alone!
04-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Is it possible to use the door to hold the card in place as suggested by jeffkpotter?

Iowa Dave
04-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had this very same issue on my K20, it is now at Pentax for repair of the SD card slot. I will see how long it takes for them to get the camera back to me.
08-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #8

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I wanted to add my solution to this problem in case anyone else stumbles here (as I did).

I had the same problem with my K100D Super after an unfortunate incident where it fell in a river!

Amazingly, after fully drying it for about 4 hours in front of a warm fan heater and then leaving in a bowl of rice for two days, I tried turning it on and everything worked. Except for the SD card 'catch'.

I checked for foreign particles in the slot using a torch, and of course there was a rice fragment, that I was able to remove with a small blade.