Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
Haven't been here in while (other than lurking).
I just got my K20 and must say that I am a bit disappointed.
It seems that all my pictures are generally very soft. I am using the new DA 18-55 lens, a Tamron 18-250, and the DA 50-200 when compared to my venerable K100d, which yields tack sharp pictures 100% of the time.
I use either User or p mode. I have also set what I think are the correct settings to improve the image. Is there a basic setting that will help to improve sharpness of the image? Exposures are generally ok with a severely underexposed shot thrown in once in awhile for good measure.
This past weekend I shot a RC glider contest (ESL on LI) and was not thrilled. I did use the 10mp setting to reduce the image size (still ridiculously large).
Oh, most important I shot in JPEG.
Was my judgement clouded in getting the K20? Or did I get a lemon? Or do I have brain freeze in setting this camera up?
Rudi

07-01-2009, 02:53 AM   #62
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a few doubts about your K20D - but perhaps you should consider focus accuracy (both user-determined and camera calibration), before the sensor.

Most people here have only positive things to say about the K20D, bearing in mind obvious limitations (you can't expect no noise at ISO 3200, despite all the high ISO hype) and photographic technique (the biggest determinant of results).

Look into the AF adjustment of your lenses with the K20D and test it in different conditions to see where the problem lies.
07-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Posting pictures would help - preferably the identical shot from both cameras with the same lens, sized identically. My guess is that you are not comparing apples to apples. In particular, don't expect viewing an image from the K20D at "100%" to look as good as it does on the K100D, because "100%" is a lot bigger for the K20D than it is for the K100D.
07-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #64

Ash and Marc,
Thanks for the replies,
I haven't done a one on one test, but still genral pictures at either 10mp or 14mp are consedrably softer than with K100 (looks almost like a cheap PnS camera). Next week I should have the time to do a more complete comparison and post some pictures. I will also do a lens focusing adjustment when I find the instructions again.
Thanks again for the help.
Rudi

07-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rouds39 Quote
Ash and Marc,
Thanks for the replies,
I haven't done a one on one test, but still genral pictures at either 10mp or 14mp are consedrably softer than with K100 (looks almost like a cheap PnS camera). Next week I should have the time to do a more complete comparison and post some pictures. I will also do a lens focusing adjustment when I find the instructions again.
Thanks again for the help.
Rudi
I recieved my K20 a few weeks ago and could not be happier!

I just looked at some ISO 800 images that I snapped and they look beautiful.
Try using the center weighted AF setting, it made a big difference for me.

Ray
07-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #66
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Images from any dSLR should come out sharp if taken correctly and AF calibrated.
I can certainly vouch that my K20D images come out just as sharp at 100% as with my K10D, K100D and *ist D.
07-05-2009, 03:43 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Maybe the fact that you are shooting Jpegs is the problem. Have you tired adjusting the in camera settings or alternatively shooting raw?
07-05-2009, 04:05 AM   #68

I picked up my K20D this afternoon and am very impressed so far.
Functionally, it's light years ahead. I've just been having a poke around and there's some functions I wish the K200D had.

Can't comment on pic quality yet as it's only early days and I haven't actually looked at the pics on the PC yet.

However, I had taken some pics on the K200D earlier today, then transferred the card into the K20D... the file names have progressed, so my first pic on the K20D (which has ~3600 shots) is about 9050 (I'd taken that number minus one).

Is there a way to change this or at least find the actual number of actuations?

edit: Found the shutter actuations through exiftool, but not sure how to change the file name...

Last edited by timace; 07-05-2009 at 04:23 AM.
07-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #69

Thanks again for all the advice.
I have now a new (?) issue that is even odder in my opinion.
When I took my first shot it was IMGP0001 as expected (hoped?) since the camera was new etc... (Abe's of Maine swore it would be.) At some point the counter went to IMGP5000!!!
Any idea what would cause that?
On my K100 the count went straight from 0001 to over 13,000 without such a jump.
To add an FYI re my soft pictures. Yes I shoot JPEG on both cameras, IS on, focus on continuous. I am using my Tamron 18-250 on both, the K100 yields better (sharper) results when viewed full size, and no, I have no tested or adjusted the focus. Seemed to me the DA 18-55 II shows similar softness I will post some shots within the next day or two.
I have used 14MP but mostly 10MP (some pictures are on shutterfly (lisf.shutterfly.org (Rudi O))) to reduce size.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Rudi
07-06-2009, 05:48 AM   #70

Hi,
Just noticed that the counter on the K20 went from the high 0890 to 2659!??!? Then to 5200.
I find that very odd.
Rudi
07-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timace Quote
I picked up my K20D this afternoon and am very impressed so far.
Functionally, it's light years ahead. I've just been having a poke around and there's some functions I wish the K200D had.

Can't comment on pic quality yet as it's only early days and I haven't actually looked at the pics on the PC yet.

However, I had taken some pics on the K200D earlier today, then transferred the card into the K20D... the file names have progressed, so my first pic on the K20D (which has ~3600 shots) is about 9050 (I'd taken that number minus one).

Is there a way to change this or at least find the actual number of actuations?

edit: Found the shutter actuations through exiftool, but not sure how to change the file name...
You need to turn off (uncheck) Menu > Rec. Mode > Memory > File No. and then put in a card that has one image with a filename indicating the last number picture you took or want it to think it's on. Snap one picture, it should now have a file name that is incremented by 1 from the last one on your card. You can then reenable Menu > Rec. Mode > Memory > File No.