Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The "rush" of a good snap

This may be in the wrong forum... but...

Does anyone else get that little thrill when you know you just took a great picture? I mean, like today, I spent a few minutes trying to capture a fast moving otter at a zoo. Kept changing settings, and focus and snapping pictures until the last one, I knew I got it. My pulse actually quickened just a hair. I knew as I looked at the lcd I could move on. I had the best shot from that location.

I've had similar moments before, but I was just keenly aware of it today.

Is it just me? Do I need therapy? Or better lenses?

slinky

04-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If we get no enjoyment from our expensive hobby, then why do it?
04-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If we get no enjoyment from our expensive hobby, then why do it?

AMEN BROTHA!
04-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

or when like today, at a vintage car show, on my knees crouching over straining while aiming up. moving ever so slightly, focus in, focus out, muttering to myself about strange lighting and obscure background objects, and I realize people are pointing, gathering and laughing at me!

I got the shot.

04-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

The rush

I have found that "the rush" is even greater - longer lasting - and more memorable when I hear other people react to one of my images. This came to me as quite a surprise during the first day of review at a Photography workshop. I had just been watching quite a few images being projected up on a screen (film and digital) and thinking that my images would never hold their own. One of my images hit the screen and several people reacted - gasped, said "Wow" or great shot. Nothing prepared me for this experience as I was usually the subject of ridicule and comments such as "who took that cr*p?" "you call that a picture?" etc. (Mostly by my family and a few of the guys I took photos with - I literally stopped taking images for many years)

Hearing and seeing other people react to my work is even better than knowing "I got it". Doing this stuff has become an addiction - and I do it feed my need for "the rush".

PDL
04-14-2007, 01:27 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Such a good feeling! It doesn't always happen in the very moment, because I'll often chimp a little later on as I don't have the LCD turn on after every snap. I'll review and go... now, how did THAT happen?!

I felt that way with this shot...

C'mon everybody... don't just talk about those thrilling, adrenaline pumping shots... let's see 'em!!
04-14-2007, 04:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
This may be in the wrong forum... but...

Does anyone else get that little thrill when you know you just took a great picture? I mean, like today, I spent a few minutes trying to capture a fast moving otter at a zoo. Kept changing settings, and focus and snapping pictures until the last one, I knew I got it. My pulse actually quickened just a hair. I knew as I looked at the lcd I could move on. I had the best shot from that location.

I've had similar moments before, but I was just keenly aware of it today.

Is it just me? Do I need therapy? Or better lenses?

slinky
No, it's a common condition. Of course, anything at all that we wish to use to justify our LBA is fair game.

The only difference in my case is that instead of having several minutes to try various ways to get that elusive shot, I typically have only a few seconds to snatch up my camera from it's perch on the center console and grab a shot. The thrill and satisfaction is just the same, I think.

Most scenes/situations that I either shoot or wish to shoot are fluid, one-time opportunities. But there are some static scenes/objects that I have had it in my head for quite a while to shoot. I can recall one that I wanted to shoot for probably about three years before I finally hit a traffic jam that facilitated the shot. There's another that I have had in my sights for at least a couple of years now....every time I drive by it I pray for traffic to be backed up at the light just beyond it, and it never is. But one of these days it will be.

04-14-2007, 04:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I must have taken 100 exposures before I finally jagged this one - more good luck than good management

04-14-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote

Hearing and seeing other people react to my work is even better than knowing "I got it". Doing this stuff has become an addiction - and I do it feed my need for "the rush".

PDL
Yesterday we took a few of my images to the local Target to see about printing some 4x6s. Abut half were of my kids. My wife, who has been somewhat reluctant to embrace my new hobby/passion...She still doesn't trust a digital over a film, an even though I have been very thrifty with my two lens purchases (Less than $60 for both) she thinks this is going to be very expensive... was looking at them, and she said that I might be able to take better, more artistic pictures for my daughter's 2 year picture than JCPenny.

Doesn't sound like much, but it meant something to me. She was seeing that we could get some very nice shots out of my new camera. Of course, we don't have a studio set up with lights, so I suggested we keep our picture portrait appointment. She said that I should take some anyway so we could send them to family.

But it was cool to see her come around... to the dark side.

slinky
04-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

As Mediasliky wrote:
"Of course, we don't have a studio set up with lights, so I suggested we keep our picture portrait appointment. She said that I should take some anyway so we could send them to family."

Be assured that you do not need a studio or extra light to take great images of family. The two I have BP (Before Pentax) were captured in B&W as candid - no flash - no studio lights. Getting images of family are a rush unto themselves - and it can be years before "the rush" strikes you. I took an image of my late father during a time when we were at odds - politically, philosophically and physically (I was living at home, going to college - a live in college student). I lost the negative but somehow an 8x10 B&W print survived (printed in the darkroom that he built for both of us). When I found it (by accident) 8 years after he died - that moment - that rush hit me like a ton of bricks. My son scanned the image for me so I have digital copies - and it still stops me in my tracks when I look at it.

Anyway - you do not have to expend large amounts of cash to get intimate portraits. Sometimes formal settings just don't work as well as the one off chance. Even better, sometimes the rush will find you - 30 years after you "get" the image. Oh - do send them to your family - I have several refrigerator's full of other peoples kids. (Friends and family)

PDL