Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #1

Resolution question

I am interested to know from those of you who have used either medium or large format cameras (or 20-40 MP digital cameras) the following: what kind of "real", that is, appreciable differences in resolution are there between such cameras and a 10MP cam such as the k10d. I ask, because I had taken a few shots of trees (with leaves) from a distance and noticed that the leaves are hard to see individually. I know that, for example, the magazine "Arizona Highways" (last I checked) won't even accept digital pics because of their "low resolution." I'm not picking on DSLRs (I love mine), and I'm not by nature a pixel peeper. I'm just curious what you folks have to say about this topic.

John

04-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Comparing prints from my K10d to prints from my Rollei 3.5e, there is no comparison. The 120 format has much more detail. You really can't compare the 2.
The size of the sensor vs. the size of the neg.....the sensor having relatively the same scene has to be up rezzed more to print even an 8x10.
I've stitched several images from my ist D together to form a scene similar
to what is captured on 120film. After stitching and printing the images had similar detail to a scan of 120 film, with out the noise that comes from scanning. If you want big prints with loads of detail, try that approach.
04-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Dana, that was just the sort of reply I was looking for. If I ever want a massive print with oodles of detail, I'll "learn to sew." What program do you use to stitch? Do you like the result as much as what you might get with your 120 (allowing for stitch distortion, etc)?
04-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use Panorama Factory, not free, not the most expensive. It's not supposed to work mosaics but I've done it. PTGui is better and I'll probably get it shortly.

I like the results, doing more of the same kind.

04-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by button Quote
I am interested to know from those of you who have used either medium or large format cameras (or 20-40 MP digital cameras) the following: what kind of "real", that is, appreciable differences in resolution are there between such cameras and a 10MP cam such as the k10d. I ask, because I had taken a few shots of trees (with leaves) from a distance and noticed that the leaves are hard to see individually. I know that, for example, the magazine "Arizona Highways" (last I checked) won't even accept digital pics because of their "low resolution." I'm not picking on DSLRs (I love mine), and I'm not by nature a pixel peeper. I'm just curious what you folks have to say about this topic.

John
I was just reading an article in PhotoPro about the same subject.
as far as digital medium format is conserned, it isn't just more megapixels that you get. just like comparing 35mm to medium format film, you get a lot better detail, dynamic range, and the image is way less noisy then DSLR. (bigger pixels gives a better signal to noise ratio then a lot of them packed into a tight spot like the 10MP sensor of the K10) and it will be sharper.

hope this helps

randy
04-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #6

Note that to double resolution you need four times the number of pixels. There's a point of diminishing returns.

On the other hand, the larger sensor does indeed mean more dynamic range and less noise.