Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 04:12 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zubati Kit Quote
shock horror,

the time has come when people should buy lenses in UK!?!

It's for the first time ever in 10+ years that UK is indeed the cheapest...
Indeed I bought my 16-50/2.8 and a complete Interfit 3-head strobe kit from warehouseexpress recently, when the Pound came down against the Euro. It saved me a lot of money...

Ben

04-21-2009, 04:18 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it's quite simple, really: i am afraid your initial setups, for your stated intended uses (mainly landscape, wildlife, portrait, street) spell "no contest". the pentax lineup wins, for the simple reason that you pumped the diference in body price into very good lens choices on the pentax (which is a very smart choice, and i think makes, in a way, for a very fair comparison). the d300 is said to be a great camera, and i have no doubts about that, be warned, though, that the d300 might be better for wildlife (af, tracking, and so on), but it did not seem as that is a priority for you.

i rarely make such blunt statements (which is also, wisely, true of most members of this forum, who mostly sound like unbiased advisors, rather than pentaxians -- i think that's amazing), but in this case, i dare to say: the pentax system you described will take better pictures than the nikon system you described, for your stated purpose, all else being equal (again, that's not to say pentax is better than nikon, it's just those two particular systems you described). seeing as you like primes, it will also likely give you more pleisure in use than the nikon system.

i am also a prime junkie, for the same reasons as you: that's what i always used. keep in mind you can always use old primes, of very good quality, with pentax, they will be slow to operate, but this will not matter much for landscape (i am at the point i have no af lens that i still use for landscape, as my "ultrawide" is now a zenitar, so the kit lens i was using for wide previously gets little use).

btw, if going for the pentax, i recommend getting the bundled kit lens if it costs nearly nothing (usually does), it is actually a very usable lens, it has been my only wide for a longtime, and while i felt limited, it did deliver (also, it is decently built, it has a hood -- essential for me, it has SMC coating -- it actualy matters, it has a non-rotating front, so polarizers are no problem, hell, it feels as though they intended this lens to actualy be _used_ ).

however, this is just objective considerations, i completely agree with ben: get the system you feel better about, at the end of the day, your pleisure in using it, your confidence, lack of doubts and so on will help bring home better pictures, a one stop difference on your lens rarely will. you can hardly go wrong, with either system.

Last edited by nanok; 04-21-2009 at 04:21 AM. Reason: of all the spelling errors, spelling spell wrong...
04-21-2009, 04:24 AM   #48
James S

Problem buying from SRS is they only ship to UK addresses.

But, it could be worth sending it to a relative and getting them to onforward here.

The DA* 60-250 is $2650 here in Australia, with the exchange it's $1600 Save $1000

DA* 200 is $2400 here, $1400 from UK!

DA* 55 is $1600 here, from UK it's $850... some good deals!

BIG savings!
04-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Which image is better? Is it significantly better? Is it 4x the price better?
Ill tell you what cameras they are from a little later...

04-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Left one is better.
04-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Okay well no one seems to care but the left image is k20d and the right is nikons flagship the d3.
04-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Actually, I was curious, but wanted to ask a few questions about the comparison that are still relevant - are these resized or 100% crops? what lens? what ISO?

But I also realized the answers aren't *that* relevant - the point may be that for a large number of applications, none of that matters.
04-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #53

I recognized where they were from and that the left one was created by a Pentax, so I didn't comment.

I think the D3 has less noise and does a better job of getting sharp fine detail for most of the patterns, but the K20D's rendering of the second-from-top red cloth is better. Unfortunately the colors are wrecked by Bright mode.

And no, I wouldn't pay 4x the price going either way, especially since I know the images are showing the cameras' JPEG engines without tweaking.

04-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #54
Pentaxian

pentax is downsized to match 12mp - dunno about lenses but they are from 200iso.
04-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think for the OP, who's apparently in the enviable situation of having thousands to drop in one fell swoop on a whole system... (Well, what are you using *now,* anyway? ) Wants the Pentax glass, is unsure about the body... Well, it looks like Pentax's new body is going to be either a slight cut above or at least a sideways-step-with- expected-improvement on the K20, and looks like it'll be out soon enough.

It just doesn't seem like a situation where you want to over-commit, but you seem to want the Pentax lenses... you say you loved primes as a film shooter, but have all these zooms on your shopping list... Sure you want to go *there?*

(I came from Canon FD film, shot almost exclusively primes, thought that with digital, maybe I'd thought I'd want to be doing more zoom work... Didn't happen: the zooms on my list are going to be the grudging practicalities for certain jobs, as they've always been. )

Anyway, it makes me wonder what you need all that stuff for so immediately, ...especially if you haven't done digital before: I think that at this particular point in time, you might find that by the time you get adapted to *any* digital, the 'K-7' may be out. Could possibly dispel all worries.

I think, too, with all that expensive glass, you might want a backup body, anyway, why not get something used, or just take the plunge on a K20d, and the bare essentials... Especially if you get something used in a lens or two, the value of those isn't going anywhere, and you won't take too bad a hit if you change your mind.

If I had that much to put in one place, I'd be inclined to just plunk down on a nice Zeiss lens or two, (Or maybe a small stack of Limiteds,) choose what film and digital bodies to put behind them, and fill in the rest with whatever. (I'm kind of set in my ways: give me a fast 85 or equivalent FOV, and something nice that's a bit wider, and we're mostly set. )