Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #1

Digital Concepts 952AF/NIK on a Pentax K20D?

so.....my manager (dear soul that he is) said, here, take this and play with it on your new camera. It's the Digital Concepts 952AF for a Nikon.

Will it blow up my K20D?
Where can I find a user manual?

Will it cause cancer?
Prevent or accelerate world peace?
If I hook it up to the camera and send in $29.99 with three box tops will I be able to play the piano?

04-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pardes Quote
so.....my manager (dear soul that he is) said, here, take this and play with it on your new camera. It's the Digital Concepts 952AF for a Nikon.
Is it a flash or a ray gun?
QuoteQuote:

Will it blow up my K20D?
No, but it could fry the electronics if the trigger voltage is too high
QuoteQuote:
I would just type "Digital Concepts 952AF manual" into a Google tool bar. There has to be a PDF out there somewhere.
QuoteQuote:

Will it cause cancer?
Everything causes cancer!
QuoteQuote:
Prevent or accelerate world peace?
It depends entirely on whether you are in a Zen state when you took the image, and whether your mantra is compatible with both Pentax and Digital Concepts.
QuoteQuote:
If I hook it up to the camera and send in $29.99 with three box tops will I be able to play the piano?
No, sorry, but if you send in $1,999.99 with 10,000 box tops, you can get a digital piano from Roland that will play itself.

Functionally, the pins do not match up with Pentax pins, other than the central flash signal pin, so only the trigger voltage is of concern. However, it is completely incompatible with Pentax except for the trigger signal. If the flash has auto exposure modes (uses a sensor in the flash) you can set an aperture on the lens, 1/180 or less on the shutter speed and take pictures. If not, have a look at instructions at strobist.com to work with manual flash.
04-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

He thinks you're bored at work

Will it blow up my K20D?
Probably not.

Who cares? You don't need a user's manual to find out how to throw it away.

The Digital Concepts 952AF is TTL only. Assuming its trigger voltage is safe and thus it does not blow up your K20D, it will fire only at full power.

I know, in the old days all flashes fired at full power and the photographer had to adjust the aperture based on the distance. But with so many choices these days, why?
04-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually the 952AF PEN does support P-TTL on the K10D/K20D. I used to own one (sold it to another member here last summer) and it pre-flashed (red beam) in low light situations.

I highly doubt the NIK version will operate as desired in any other mode than manual on a Pentax DSLR however.

04-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Is it a flash or a ray gun? No, but it could fry the electronics if the trigger voltage is too highI would just type "Digital Concepts 952AF manual" into a Google tool bar. There has to be a PDF out there somewhere. Everything causes cancer! It depends entirely on whether you are in a Zen state when you took the image, and whether your mantra is compatible with both Pentax and Digital Concepts.No, sorry, but if you send in $1,999.99 with 10,000 box tops, you can get a digital piano from Roland that will play itself.

Functionally, the pins do not match up with Pentax pins, other than the central flash signal pin, so only the trigger voltage is of concern. However, it is completely incompatible with Pentax except for the trigger signal. If the flash has auto exposure modes (uses a sensor in the flash) you can set an aperture on the lens, 1/180 or less on the shutter speed and take pictures. If not, have a look at instructions at strobist.com to work with manual flash.
I'll work on my mantra.

The pins appear to match the K20D but I bow to your expertise and obviously advanced mantra that matches the music of the spheres. They are such rodeo guys at work (the death investigators) that I had to wrestle my camera away before the flash was manhandled onto it. I shall not try it now based on your comments and instead use the Nikon SB 80 (if I can find it in this house of too many storage boxes).

THANKS, so much for your speedy (and funny) answer.
04-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks to you all. That seals it. Dump the thing (of course with a polite thank you to the Manager)....and as one of you said, with so many choices....why?

You guys are the best!