Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2007, 04:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Getting started

I never ceased to be amazed at the prices of new lens from Pentax, but Tamron, Sigma, and other manufactures as well and, how many amateur photographers are shelling out the huge dollars for this equipment. With my limited budget, (and I know there are many, many more people in the same circumstance that I am in), it is out of the question for me to even consider any of the new lenses available!

One of the reasons I chose Pentax, is the amount of older lens, both Pentax, and other brands that are available that will work with my 1st DS. Being retired and living on a fixed income, I have to look for ‘bargains’ for any additional lens and other equipment for my photographic hobby.

Even with budgetary limitations, I have managed to acquire a fair amount of equipment at a reasonable cost. That while may not be what many would consider first-rate equipment, still works better than than my photographic skills can utilize!

My equipment is all used, and the prices paid in US Dollars are as follows:

The Pentax 1st DS, with 18 x 55 kit lens ($400.00), Promaster FTD7000M TTL flash ($40.00), Tamron 28 x 300 LD f3.5 – f5.6 zoom lens ($65.00), Tokina 28mm f2.8 ‘A’ lens ($17.00), Pentax 50mm f2.0 ‘A’ lens ($18.00), Sears 50mm f1.7 ‘M’ lens ($16.50), Vivitar 135mm f2.8 Macro lens ($17.00), and the Promaster 1.7x automatic teleconverter ($15.00).

If you are new to the digital photographic world, don’t be discouraged, it can be done with serious bargain hunting on eBay, used camera stores, pawn shops, and even neighborhood yard sales.

Good luck,
Bill

Pearlphotos on the web!

Last edited by wipearl; 04-14-2007 at 04:22 AM.
04-14-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice buys. I've found a couple of great bargains on ebay by searching through the most recently listed buy-it-now items, looking for lenses being sold by people who have no idea what they're selling.
04-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Nice buys. I've found a couple of great bargains on ebay by searching through the most recently listed buy-it-now items, looking for lenses being sold by people who have no idea what they're selling.
Hey Finn,

I've managed to get some of my lens off of ebay at real bargain prices, although since I got my camera in August of last year, the price of Pentax lens has gone through the roof.

Before I buy anything I now check the prices of a couple of used camera dealers on the web (KEH Camera & Kenmore Camera) before I even look on ebay. In many cases I can buy a used lens through them cheaper than it can be bought on ebay.

Being retired for the past 5+ years sure is great, however, it has turned me into a big-time bargain hunter.

Best Wishes,
Bill
04-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I was only able to get into this because I found a deal on ebay; ist DS with kit lens for $300. Then I got a Vivitar 70-150mm for $30, and then a Tokina 28mm A for $5.50. ebay has been very good to me. Patience and luck are key factors.

slinky