Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
You haven't yet??? Blende8 has posted that there is more positive and supportive evidence that the DS is a pretty good solution.
Do you mean this?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Anyways, since Herb and et. al. have been beating me up over my joy (for the time being) that Pentax will walk alone. and not be chewed up and the pieces spit out like soooo many companies, just for the sake of more profit,(Always thought the concept was a bit obscene and greedy...) I'm trying to be a less opinionated person (Hmmm..not working). Not to mention my complete lack of business skills. The world is full of 2 legged vultures (Homo vultureous)
Oh, and BTW: Fairly obscure (by hit count) article brought to you by RH.. credit where credit is due:
Manual Focus with AF DSLRs
Things in order... calmly:

No I don't have the K10D as of yet. If, or rather when, it gets here I'll check for exposure with my manual lenses. Then I'll switch the screen.

What fun would it be without opinions? Just check this very thread.

Manual focusing isn't that scary. The problem is that the modern AF viewfinder screens gives us an impression that everything will be sharp, within the DOF. With the 5D I used the darker but better (for MF) Ee-S screen. Easier to focus and a much better idea about the DOF.

Digital preview, a la Olympus, is what we really need for critical work.

I think you already know all this.

regards,

04-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Oh, and BTW: Fairly obscure (by hit count) article brought to you by RH.. credit where credit is due:
Guys, pls note that the article is not written by me. I only quote it in my latest blog article: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When the Focusing Screen Lies (for Focusing and Metering)

Anyway, I think the author has got very interesting findings and his article is presented very clearly and concisely. So, I quote it. Ditto for the german post I quote which IMHO is also excellent for its content.
04-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Guys, pls note that the article is not written by me. I only quote it in my latest blog article: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When the Focusing Screen Lies (for Focusing and Metering)

Anyway, I think the author has got very interesting findings and his article is presented very clearly and concisely. So, I quote it. Ditto for the german post I quote which IMHO is also excellent for its content.
Sorry, Didn't mean to imply you wrote the "focus screen" article, just that is where I got the link to it from...
04-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Any sample photos for the reported problem?

BTW, CMOS has the problems of random noise because of the hardware per pixel (photo transistors, amplifers, etc.) can never be made to be identical, whereas CCD has the problem of inconsistency line output and fading along the line (chain of a series of waveform) and thus more susceptible to bandings.

All in all, each of them has the inherit problem of its own. So, it all depends how proper measure(s) plus accurate calibration are made to the camera for its design and in the factory, respectively.

For the 5D, it is just an entry level FF DSLR from Canon, just like the 400D of the 1.6X APS-C lineup. So, it will be of not big surprise if it cannot meet the performance and reliability of the EOS 1 series cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just Copied this from e Photozine. It seems that the apparent problem with the K10D is not exclusive to PENTAX:

Hi, I have had terrible problems with chronic lining/banding appearing on images across all isos.

I sent my camera back to Canon U.K. 3 tmes each time coming back with same problem. Tried different lenes, flash cards etc but no improvement.

As a result I borrowed a camera from my local canon agent in Ireland, tested it, straight away same problem. Only constant between my camera and this one was flash. So rented a 580ex, to go shoot wedding, same problem in the church, I was fit to scream!

I would rate 5d as an unusable camera for the professional. Also Canon U.K. and Canon U.S.A did not appear to know about this problem. I like others had to find out about it on internet. This is a terrible camera and atrocious customer support from canon.

In short I have noticed this problem across various isos starting at 100, with different lenses, memory cards and flashes but indoor shots in mixed light very susceptible to this banding.

The shop I bought it from, B&H Photovideo, would not entertain replacement or refund even though camera was sold in this state and I have repair record to show this. In fact customer service agents very unhelpful there, to the point of rudeness.

What are we poor saps who shelled out a fair whack of cash on these rubbish cameras to do?

see this link for other people who had same issue
DSLR Photography » Chuck Westfall comments on 5D camera banding issues

04-15-2007, 04:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now this is an interesting and constructive article.

I tried the same lens as used in that article with both my DS and K10. From what my eyes could detect, there is a discernible difference starting at f/2 (from/to f/2.4) with the DS and f/2.4 (from/to f/2.8) with the K10. So it would support the thesis of the article, although it doesn't appear quite as ominous as the f/4 stated in the article.

I suppose the reason I have so few focusing problems is that I generally rock back and forth and don't rely on focus going one way only.
04-15-2007, 05:30 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Darn it all...

OH, hell! Darn it all anyway; I'm crushed. I just found out my Holga has banding problems!!!

Seems if I don't keep a steady pressure on all the duct tape with a couple of big 'banker bands' rubber bands, the poor little thing leaks light like crazy.

Oh well, at least the office supply carries rubber bands for cheap.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just Copied this from e Photozine. It seems that the apparent problem with the K10D is not exclusive to PENTAX:

Hi, I have had terrible problems with chronic lining/banding appearing on images across all isos.

I sent my camera back to Canon U.K. 3 tmes each time coming back with same problem. Tried different lenes, flash cards etc but no improvement.

As a result I borrowed a camera from my local canon agent in Ireland, tested it, straight away same problem. Only constant between my camera and this one was flash. So rented a 580ex, to go shoot wedding, same problem in the church, I was fit to scream!

I would rate 5d as an unusable camera for the professional. Also Canon U.K. and Canon U.S.A did not appear to know about this problem. I like others had to find out about it on internet. This is a terrible camera and atrocious customer support from canon.

In short I have noticed this problem across various isos starting at 100, with different lenses, memory cards and flashes but indoor shots in mixed light very susceptible to this banding.

The shop I bought it from, B&H Photovideo, would not entertain replacement or refund even though camera was sold in this state and I have repair record to show this. In fact customer service agents very unhelpful there, to the point of rudeness.

What are we poor saps who shelled out a fair whack of cash on these rubbish cameras to do?

see this link for other people who had same issue
DSLR Photography » Chuck Westfall comments on 5D camera banding issues
04-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Holga...

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
OH, hell! Darn it all anyway; I'm crushed. I just found out my Holga has banding problems!!!

Seems if I don't keep a steady pressure on all the duct tape with a couple of big 'banker bands' rubber bands, the poor little thing leaks light like crazy.

Oh well, at least the office supply carries rubber bands for cheap.
I LOVE HOLGA'S...They are soooo "S--TY" Good. What could be better for worse?

04-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #23

I tried a few test shots and can see some banding in the 5D images when I boost brightness, but it's nowhere near the magnitude of the the banding in the K10D. It could just be sample variation or a different scene is required to make it appear in the 5D.

I did notice some banding on the following Canon image at photodo though.
http://www.ephotozine.com/images/35mm@f1.4SM.jpg