Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon 5D Banding Problems..Well There You Go, Not Just PENTAX

Just Copied this from e Photozine. It seems that the apparent problem with the K10D is not exclusive to PENTAX:

Hi, I have had terrible problems with chronic lining/banding appearing on images across all isos.

I sent my camera back to Canon U.K. 3 tmes each time coming back with same problem. Tried different lenes, flash cards etc but no improvement.

As a result I borrowed a camera from my local canon agent in Ireland, tested it, straight away same problem. Only constant between my camera and this one was flash. So rented a 580ex, to go shoot wedding, same problem in the church, I was fit to scream!

I would rate 5d as an unusable camera for the professional. Also Canon U.K. and Canon U.S.A did not appear to know about this problem. I like others had to find out about it on internet. This is a terrible camera and atrocious customer support from canon.

In short I have noticed this problem across various isos starting at 100, with different lenses, memory cards and flashes but indoor shots in mixed light very susceptible to this banding.

The shop I bought it from, B&H Photovideo, would not entertain replacement or refund even though camera was sold in this state and I have repair record to show this. In fact customer service agents very unhelpful there, to the point of rudeness.

What are we poor saps who shelled out a fair whack of cash on these rubbish cameras to do?

see this link for other people who had same issue
www.dslrphoto.com/2006/02/23/chuck-westfall-comments-on-5d-camera-banding-issues/

04-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

LOL, thought Canon was bulletproof like plastic...
04-14-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Forum Member

My friend wants to buy a 5D, I told him that he should be careful because of what I have read. (there is also a problem in humid climates with shorting because it isn't sealed well.) I also told him that he shouldn't buy something because it is a marketing masterpiece, buy something that IS a masterpiece.
04-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Inactive Account

To my understanding this guy gets severe banding with the 5D, starting from ISO100 and up. Furthermore he gets it with any 5D anyone puts in his hands.

I got that as well, just see here:

Above: Taken with a 5D, now sold, boy am I happy I found a buyer before the world discovered how bad the camera really is.

It is also well known all over the Net as well in real life that the 5D is a useless camera and that no real photographers use it. It's not like the K10D that we know at least a handful of real pros who use it, and it is also known for vertical pattern noise and banding from a few fora only. Am I happy I use Pentax? You bet.

or worded differently...:

What a lame post. I don't think we need that kind of exaggerated stupidity helping us to justify our purchases. I mean, we aren't Canonians, eh? We are smart from the start. I promise.

And as we are smart we also suspect that brand loyalty is a character flaw.

04-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jonas

I also own 4 Canon bodies and 7 lenses as well as a couple of medium format bodies being the Fuji 680 & Bronica ETRSi and a Canon G5 as well as a Fuji Finepix F30 and of course my K10D's...

So brand loyalty is not the reason I posted this. I did so to highlight the fact that Pentax are not unique in this apparent problem, which I am sorry to say, I have NOT experienced.

Ben
04-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The D200 is also known for this problem. I agree with Ben, it just shows that this is a cross platform problem. It means that instead of boosting megapixels in the next generations of DSLRs, the designers should focus on noise, banding, DR, and other aspects of image quality.
04-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Ben

The brand loyality thing was aimed to all of us, more in general. I understand if it looks like I said you are suffering from this character flaw and I am sorry for that. It still was a pretty lame post though imo.

I see in the link you provided that Canon acknowledge the problem with the lens/camera interference. I wish Pentax did the same about VPN.

04-14-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Ben

The brand loyality thing was aimed to all of us, more in general. I understand if it looks like I said you are suffering from this character flaw and I am sorry for that. It still was a pretty lame post though imo.

I see in the link you provided that Canon acknowledge the problem with the lens/camera interference. I wish Pentax did the same about VPN.
There too busy shoo-ing Hoya-flies of the boardroom table
Anyways, banding I could probably adjust to. M lens thing I couldn't......
04-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I know a girl that should be pro in my opinion, but selling art is hard these days. I envy her, and she shoots with a 5D. But it isn't the camera that I want, it's her talent. She can make amazing photographs with whatever you put in her hands.

That's how I want to be.
04-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Haha I was relishing this moment. When Canon's all too big preception of invincibility comes crashing down..But it affects all of us. The banding is more apparent if you shoot a gray or darker gray wall. I really only notice it at ISO 3200..Haven't tried 1600...but anyhow...the two are..kinda unusable anyways

I guess its just intrinsic thing because we all use Bayer sensor layouts. The pixels are all in a grid formation.
04-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

My response from another Pentax Forum - it's not just the 5D.

I was looking at some images from a photo club at work (East Coast - while I am on the West Coast). One of the users had a C*non 20D shooting still life's (Chinese Checkers) close ups. The Black part of the back ground had both Vertical and Horizontal banding that would make users here go nuts.

ISO 200, 1 second at around f 8 - mounted on a tripod. The guy is a pretty competent photographer - but the banding - whoa - it was hideous. The stuff I have seen from the K10D (I can reproduce it myself but I really have to push hard) is nothing - chump noise.

PDL
04-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #12
Inactive Account

What a great thread. I think I am in heaven. I am happy the K10D doesn't show hideous banding at ISO200.

Poor Canon people... Do they have to use ISO100 all the time?
04-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
There too busy shoo-ing Hoya-flies of the boardroom table
Anyways, banding I could probably adjust to. M lens thing I couldn't......
Lol.

Hmm, there you reminded me about the other thing. That will be interesting to deal. Maybe I'll have to try one of my DS viewfinder screens.
04-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My question: are the problems with the 5D mostly associated with the lens that have USM?
One poster made a good point that it could be interference from the USM electronics... hopefully if it is, that the Pentax USM lenses won't suffer the same fate

the only time I have had any problems with banding is when the shot is underexposed and high ISO, and even then you have to look hard to see it.
boy do I feel lucky

cheers

randy
04-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Lol.

Hmm, there you reminded me about the other thing. That will be interesting to deal. Maybe I'll have to try one of my DS viewfinder screens.
You haven't yet??? Blende8 has posted that there is more positive and supportive evidence that the DS is a pretty good solution.
Do you mean this?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Anyways, since Herb and et. al. have been beating me up over my joy (for the time being) that Pentax will walk alone. and not be chewed up and the pieces spit out like soooo many companies, just for the sake of more profit,(Always thought the concept was a bit obscene and greedy...) I'm trying to be a less opinionated person (Hmmm..not working). Not to mention my complete lack of business skills. The world is full of 2 legged vultures (Homo vultureous)
Oh, and BTW: Fairly obscure (by hit count) article brought to you by RH.. credit where credit is due:
Manual Focus with AF DSLRs

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-14-2007 at 03:20 PM.