Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #1

Looking for a GX10 owner & linux user

Hi,

I'm looking for a linux user & GX10 owner who wants to test pkremote with his camera:
SourceForge.net: PK-Remote

Pkremote is a linux tool that works like Pentax Remote Assistant (+ a command line tool, as a bonus). It should work with a GX10 too, but nobody has confirmed it yet.
Any volunteers?

Thanks,
Ramiro

04-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
as posted on the other thread, the short answer is "yes". so if you have a gx10 and want tethered shooting, maybe it's time for linux . (i have been making treaths that i will make a "live-usb-stick" photographers image, so that anybody can put it on a stick -- hehe, linux on a stick -- and have all the tools needed at any time, to run on any computer without installing. perhaps i should make that a reality, include pkremote, so that more people can test it).

i think there is also potential for gx20, and perhaps even for the samsung equivalents of the ist series which already work with pkremote, but here ramiro is in a better position to tell how likely that is, how hard it would be, what would be required, and so on.

btw: ramiro, is there a list of confirmed models? poking my nose in libpslr.a, i got the impression that some of the ist series would be supported, am i right? maybe some help would be wellcome for building a "definitive" list of models which currently work (but this is a bit offtopic in the samsung forum)
05-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd be happy to give this a try. I'll have to check it out late tonight though. I have the gx-1s and am currently running ubuntu 8.04
05-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

hopefully ramiro can help us advising what to change in the source code in order to be able to try (i think as things are now, the software would just not "recognize" the camera, and give up, but i am not sure).
edit: at the very least, when you try, if you get no useful result, tell us how the usb subsystem/scsi subsystem identifies your camera when you connect it, this should help the developers include a few lines in the code to at least try with your camera.

08-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #5

Seems to work with some issues

Hi there,

Fresh Linux Mint Gloria install, added libglade2 and libglade2-dev, installed PKremote using make-make install.

It gives me some error messages, but I can make pictures and change the settings as described in the other pkremote thread.

I am relatively new to linux so I don't really understand where the messages come from. Could someone with more knowledge point me in the right direction please? Google didn't seem to offer much help

On starting PKRemote I get this

QuoteQuote:
(<unknown>:4073): libglade-WARNING **: Error loading image: Openen van bestand ‘/usr/local/share/pkremote/gimp.xpm’ mislukt: Bestand of map bestaat niet

(<unknown>:4073): libglade-WARNING **: could not convert string to type `GdkPixbuf' for property `pixbuf'

(<unknown>:4073): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
After every picture I take using the GUI I get this error
QuoteQuote:
(<unknown>:4073): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_invalidate_rect: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
Any help appreciated, I'll keep looking myself too.

Regards,
Wouter
08-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i think you don't need to worry about them, those are mostly from the gui (the first one says it can't find some icon it expects to find, etc), it could be interesting for ramiro, but for you, as long as it's working, just have fun

welcome to the club
08-04-2009, 04:06 AM   #7

I am not able to get my Samsung GX-10 to show up on Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope).
I'm running 32 bit, with a newer kernel, to workaround an Intel graphics bug:
Code:
2.6.30-02063003-generic
$ cat /sys/class/scsi_generic/*/device/model
shows:
Code:
HTS721010G9AT00 
DVD RW AD-7530A
DIGITAL_CAMERA
$ sudo modprobe sg
shows:
Code:
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.local, it will be ignored in a future release.
FATAL: Module sg not found.
I installed pkremote from the i386 deb.

Unable to get any further, though this might be related: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/365791

08-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #8

QuoteQuote:
i think you don't need to worry about them, those are mostly from the gui (the first one says it can't find some icon it expects to find, etc), it could be interesting for ramiro, but for you, as long as it's working, just have fun

welcome to the club
I thought they weren't that big a deal, but was wondering if I had missed a step or done something wrong...

Edit: almost missed that: Thanks for the welcome !!

Ketil,

I had first tried using the deb package on Jaunty, didn't get it to work either (couldn't find out if it's the deb or something in Jaunty causing it).

The install from source did work on Gloria (which is based on Jaunty), maybe try that.

I installed the libglade2 and libglade2-dev through synaptic and followed mostly the method described here (adapted from gentoo to debian-alikes though)

Good luck!

Last edited by wouter; 08-04-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: forgot to thank for the welcome ;-)
08-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by wouter Quote
I had first tried using the deb package on Jaunty, didn't get it to work either (couldn't find out if it's the deb or something in Jaunty causing it).

The install from source did work on Gloria (which is based on Jaunty), maybe try that.

I installed the libglade2 and libglade2-dev through synaptic and followed mostly the method described here (adapted from gentoo to debian-alikes though)

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your reply!

Yeah, install from source seems to work wonders for me too, but as someone noted elsewhere, pkremote needs to be run as root in order to connect to the camera on Jaunty.

Also, noting that when I tried an "impossible setting" (resolution: 14M) pkremote shuts down. It also crashes instantly when restarting it. This was known to me, but to my surprise, I couldn't change the setting from the camera menu (also some weirdness in the menu screen, right on the line where you choose resolution. I finally had to reset the camera to get the menu back to normal.
10-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Forum Member

Anything for 64bit Ubuntu?

64 bit possible? This looks great
10-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

i don't see why not. just compile it for (on) your system. i am not going to even begin arguing if there's a point bothering with 64b in the first place..