Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #16
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
well full discharges will wreck those types of battery should never let it get flat... and best not to let them get under 20% charge or the cells die.
they also dont like heat.
They get heat when you charge them.

04-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
well full discharges will wreck those types of battery should never let it get flat... and best not to let them get under 20% charge or the cells die.
they also dont like heat.
yes, but since the battery have a device that makes it impossible to fully discharge its not a problem...
04-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Hi kthung

This problem is happening more and more , Breethagh is correct as he and i also have the problem and a few others.
Most have returned the cameras under waranty which is what i suggest
you do.
The images you refer to are normaly white with purple stripes and come after a freeze.
I just wish Pentax would own up to a manufacturing fault on some of its k20d's.
Most who have had them fixed say Pentax replaced a circuit board so its not
the users fault.

QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote

One of the first things I tried out was Live View. It was working, refresh rates were a little disappointing compared to the D300, but thats ok. I turned off Live View and next time I tried it again, my camera became unresponsive! I couldn't do anything, I tried turning it off and on, but nothing worked except removing the battery and replacing it. Then a little later I tried taking a picture with the burst mode, but halfway through it was unresponsive. The burst mode worked once before, but this time, again it was unresponsive and i had to replace the battery. When I reviewed the pictures that were taken there were three of them that just looked weird (multicolored horizontal stripes). Anyone else encounter this problem?

Thanks
04-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
debbie is right, li-ion batteries don't suffer from memory effects, and do not need "formatting". they do dislike heat, and tend to like the cold (to some extent).

they do get heat when charged, actually they are producing it . the li-ion batteries have the charging circuitry inside the pack (for safety reasons, li-ion can be dangerous if treated unkind), that circuitry also contains a full discharge protection, as mentioned, and a thermic sensor: in the final phases of the charging at least, a li-ion is charged in pulses (the charging circuit in the pack cuts the current to avoid overheating, and possible fire). the circuitry also usually refuses to pass current if a cell is fully depleted (bellow a certain voltage), to avoid permanent damage or even worse (mainly "even worse", such a battery is effectively dead anyway to the user). funny enough, this also means that in most cases li-ion chargers are extremely dumb (they only need to provide a certain voltage and be capable of a certain current, the circuit in the pack handles the rest -- this is not always the case though, so don't try this at home! )

04-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If it is under warranty will they replace it free of charge? Also do they need an original sales receipt?

QuoteOriginally posted by steve147 Quote
Hi kthung

This problem is happening more and more , Breethagh is correct as he and i also have the problem and a few others.
Most have returned the cameras under waranty which is what i suggest
you do.
The images you refer to are normaly white with purple stripes and come after a freeze.
I just wish Pentax would own up to a manufacturing fault on some of its k20d's.
Most who have had them fixed say Pentax replaced a circuit board so its not
the users fault.
04-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
If it is under warranty will they replace it free of charge? Also do they need an original sales receipt?
For claiming warranty a sales receipt is usually required. Perhaps the correctly filled-in warranty card with dealer's stamp on it may prove enough, though.

Ben
04-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok so I confirmed that it wasn't a memory card problem (I've used these cards for over 10000 shots flawlessly on my K100D) and since the battery is fully charged its not a batter problem either. This is a little dissappointing, but if I can get a perfectly functioning K20D I would be incredibly happy as it is really an amazing camera.
04-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
debbie is right, li-ion batteries don't suffer from memory effects, and do not need "formatting". they do dislike heat, and tend to like the cold (to some extent).

they do get heat when charged, actually they are producing it . the li-ion batteries have the charging circuitry inside the pack (for safety reasons, li-ion can be dangerous if treated unkind), that circuitry also contains a full discharge protection, as mentioned, and a thermic sensor: in the final phases of the charging at least, a li-ion is charged in pulses (the charging circuit in the pack cuts the current to avoid overheating, and possible fire). the circuitry also usually refuses to pass current if a cell is fully depleted (bellow a certain voltage), to avoid permanent damage or even worse (mainly "even worse", such a battery is effectively dead anyway to the user). funny enough, this also means that in most cases li-ion chargers are extremely dumb (they only need to provide a certain voltage and be capable of a certain current, the circuit in the pack handles the rest -- this is not always the case though, so don't try this at home! )
This may be a dumb question , but, should a battery should be fully charged before use even after it has been fully charged from day one? Sometimes I want to take the battery out and use it after an hour or so to get back into the action, but I have not done this yet........

Also, my camera came with a spare. This battery has more AH then the Pentax (it is not a Pentax battery) but only lasts about 15-30 minutes after a full charge.

I bought the camera used and I thought this would be an added bonus.

I was dissapointed to say the least!

The Pentax battery performs as it should and YES, I know I will need to get another to keep the action going longer.

04-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
This may be a dumb question , but, should a battery should be fully charged before use even after it has been fully charged from day one? Sometimes I want to take the battery out and use it after an hour or so to get back into the action, but I have not done this yet........

Also, my camera came with a spare. This battery has more AH then the Pentax (it is not a Pentax battery) but only lasts about 15-30 minutes after a full charge.

I bought the camera used and I thought this would be an added bonus.

I was dissapointed to say the least!

The Pentax battery performs as it should and YES, I know I will need to get another to keep the action going longer.
I do not keep my camera batteries fully charged, but use them, until the camera indicates low battery level. Then I change batteries and charge the depleted one. So far it worked nicely for me with the Pentax batteries and some cheap clones, too. I still use the first one, I got with my K10 three years ago and it is healthy.

The problem with your second battery is probably quality-related. I mistrust all advertising with really high capacities, because in reality the capacity is determined by the battery technologie and the size (and that must be the same, whether it is a Pentax battery or a third-party product) and you will only find slight variations. So any excessively high number (I have seen Pentax-compatible batteries with more than 3000mAh advertised on ebay) is a fraud. If the battery only gives you max. 30 minutes of shooting, it is dead. New good ones (simply buy the NP-400 variety for Minolta, they are the same as the Pentax ones) should be advertised with capacities between 1500 and 1800mAh, because that shows, that the seller is honest. I have made good experiences with the CTA clones, by the way.

Ben
04-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #25
Inactive Account

I have to agree with Ben on this, if you are tempted with high mAh batteries (clones) then the seller is lying or does not know what he is talking about.
The batteries for the Pentax be it their own make or clones should be close to the same mAh and should last a lot longer than what you have experienced, they are either past it or it could be your charger failing to charge it properly.
This could be because of a cheap charger but if its a Pentax make it should be fine, i would buy a cheap multi meter and test to see what the batteries are after a full charge at least then you will know.
If the batteries are new then it could be that they need a few charges before they settle down,i know that Li-ion batteries for laptops normally state charging three or four times before they hold a good charge.
I have two clones with my camera and they seem to charge and last quite a while, lets face it
most of the batteries you buy whether clones or not are probably from the same manufacturers even if some cost a lot more than others.
04-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks Ben. Thanks Steave. I had a feeling but was not quite sure. I would like to get a bargain clone to save money, but I need to be very careful of what is out there especially online.