Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

New K20D impressions and PROBLEM (OHNO!)

Ok so I just received a brand new K20D in the mail (yayyyyy!!) First things first, coming from a K100DS, that viewfinder is just drool worthy. Also, the AF is MOST DEFINITELY faster. It is definitely more confident. I put on my F50 1.7 and pictures would just snap into focus. its incredible. For my K100ds, no matter what I did, regardless of the lens, regardless of the subject, the camera would ALWAYS focus past the subject a little, the focus in front a little, and then lock. Even if I lock focus, if I release the shutter and press half way again, it would go back a little, front a little then lock. It was so annoying.

ANYWAYS, here comes the problem: I started charging the battery and was about halfway charged when I couldn't stand it anymore and just had to pop it in and start taking pictures. Everything was fine and dandy. One of the first things I tried out was Live View. It was working, refresh rates were a little disappointing compared to the D300, but thats ok. I turned off Live View and next time I tried it again, my camera became unresponsive! I couldn't do anything, I tried turning it off and on, but nothing worked except removing the battery and replacing it. Then a little later I tried taking a picture with the burst mode, but halfway through it was unresponsive. The burst mode worked once before, but this time, again it was unresponsive and i had to replace the battery. When I reviewed the pictures that were taken there were three of them that just looked weird (multicolored horizontal stripes). Anyone else encounter this problem?

Thanks

04-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I never had that problem. If I was in your shoes, I would return the camera and ask for another one. There is definitely something wrong with yours. Good luck.
04-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Before you have the camera replaced, try a different card, preferably a fast class 6 card. I sometimes get weird behaviours with slow cards.
If the problem persists with another card, just get a replacement camera.
04-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never had such a problem. The memory card might be a problem. But also, it would perhaps be a good idea, to give the battery a full charge, before trying out the most energy consuming tasks. These batteries need several use/charge cycles, before they will get their full capacity, so if a brand new battery has been charged only for a short time, it will very fast be depleted. SO, before returning the camera, I would try another memory card and give the battery some more time on the charger.

Ben

04-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I never had such a problem. The memory card might be a problem. But also, it would perhaps be a good idea, to give the battery a full charge, before trying out the most energy consuming tasks. These batteries need several use/charge cycles, before they will get their full capacity, so if a brand new battery has been charged only for a short time, it will very fast be depleted. SO, before returning the camera, I would try another memory card and give the battery some more time on the charger.

Ben
Yeah, charge the battery and try again. One negative is that the battery meter is really bad and when you see a half charge it is more like empty. I bet the live view was enough to kill the charge on your battery.

John
04-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have to wonder if not fully chargeing the battery has something to do with this behaviour.

As already suggested, fully charge the battery first and then try again.....if the problem re-appears then return it.

Cheers.
Grant
04-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Hello kthung.

When your k20d freeze do you have any icons on top lcd like battery or picture counter when power on?

Check this thread : k20d freezeups

If you have same problem just send / exchange your camera for new one.

Its not baterry/memory r glass problem its your k20d.

cheers

04-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the suggestions. Ben, I have similar suspicions since live view and burst mode probably consume lots of power, the camera probably shut off before the memory card finished recording. I'll try it out later to see if i still have any problems. Whew... that was a little scary
04-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

quick note..it does take a while for it to write on the card if you do a full burst...so it may have been writing ...(did u see the access light blinking?)
not sure bout the live view problem..I've only used it a few times and it was no longer than a few seconds
04-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

wow you must really be impatient to want to wreck your battery from day one! Not doing a full first charge wouldn't cause your problem though only leave you with half battery life forever.
04-21-2009, 05:09 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
wow you must really be impatient to want to wreck your battery from day one! Not doing a full first charge wouldn't cause your problem though only leave you with half battery life forever.
No, Li- batteries does not work that way. You can charge them how you like and the first charge can be as short as you like.
04-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hell, my battery, and probably most, came with a half charge.
04-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What can I say, boys with toys . I just couldnt wait.
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Update: so far no problems
04-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

well full discharges will wreck those types of battery should never let it get flat... and best not to let them get under 20% charge or the cells die.
they also dont like heat.
04-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
What can I say, boys with toys . I just couldnt wait.
I symphathize....

Ben