Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2007, 04:58 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Besides the fact that Pentax has always (though sadly not consistently) made superior lenses, and all the other points that everyone else has brought up, there is one reason this has not happened nor will it ever...

- Canon and Nikon would laugh their butts of before they ever licensed Pentax to use their lens mounts. This is a patent issue and they are not about to do anything to make a competitor more versatile.

As for Pentax glass on Canon or Nikon, the basic K-mount was licensed out to several relatively minor manufacturers, but Pentax would not license it to Canon or Nikon

04-15-2007, 05:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steffi Quote
It seems Pentax have a very good reputation for their current line of DSLRs but the availability of lenses considered by some to be a weakness. So why don't they simply give up the lens business and make a body that uses either Canon or Nikon lenses? Are the licensing costs too high to make this a worthwhile exercise?

Funny, before the k10 came and wiped out the available lenses, I wondered why pentax didn't make lenses in other mounts and sell them for other cameras. I could see a demand for fa77 etc across all mounts. (now we see they would never have kept up with demand)

Phil
04-15-2007, 05:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Now, how about Pentax go and produce a manual-focus-only M42 digital SLR? How awesome would that be?!
Dude...the SpotmaticD. Best. Idea. Ever.

But if S-M-C Takumars can go for somewhat north of $100 on freakbay now, what would happen then???
04-15-2007, 05:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It seems Pentax have a very good reputation for their current line of DSLRs but the availability of lenses considered by some to be a weakness. So why don't they simply give up the lens business and make a body that uses either Canon or Nikon lenses? Are the licensing costs too high to make this a worthwhile exercise?

Funny, before the k10 came and wiped out the available lenses, I wondered why pentax didn't make lenses in other mounts and sell them for other cameras. I could see a demand for fa77 etc across all mounts. (now we see they would never have kept up with demand)

Phil

04-15-2007, 06:21 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Now, how about Pentax go and produce a manual-focus-only M42 digital SLR? How awesome would that be?![/QUOTE]

If you can deal with the manual focus and allow aperture other than A limitations, you can fit an adapter that is available to mount the old world screw mount lenses on any K mount version even my new K10D! I intend to try it once I dig far enough down into my pile of camera stuff to find my adapter and screw mount lenses. That's what I call real backwards compatability!! I can't wait to see what my old preset aperture lenses will look like now.
Pentax Forever!,
Brian
04-15-2007, 06:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
If you can deal with the manual focus and allow aperture other than A limitations, you can fit an adapter that is available to mount the old world screw mount lenses on any K mount version even my new K10D! I intend to try it once I dig far enough down into my pile of camera stuff to find my adapter and screw mount lenses. That's what I call real backwards compatability!! I can't wait to see what my old preset aperture lenses will look like now.
Pentax Forever!,
Brian
LOL...check out my galleries:
(Probably too many) M42 and other lenses on my Pbase...
04-15-2007, 07:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Pentax Forever!,
Brian
Yeah, I had one but sold it, which I kind of regret. I found myself not using the M42 lenses because I had to attach the adapter first. Iguess I'm just a little lazy. Ah well, this way I get to pull out the old Spotmatic a little more often!
04-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Thats like saying Why doesnt Ferrari make an engine that you can put in a Saturn?

04-15-2007, 08:04 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Sigma and Fuji both have another mount, I believe Nikons,
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Sigma has their own mount but its unremarkably similar to the Canon EF Mount (probably to save costs).
Actually the Sigma Mount is an evolution of the K mount

just compare these two shots side by side

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/Images/dustprotector.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK10D/Images/lensmount01.jpg

and you will see what i am talking about, they look fairly similar to me, not to mention, that pentax and sigma mounts in sigma lenses share the same rear cap.
04-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Backward compatability: THE main reason I switched to Pentax stuff 8 years ago, when it was clear Contax/Yashica didn't have what I wanted. Long live the K-mount.
04-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #26
Forum Member

Still Waiting

I have had a Pentax DL for a little over a year. I just bought my first high quality lens, the Pentax 12-24mm zoom. It is a great lens and may be my favorite over time. Before I bought it, I considered switching to Nikon, but decided not to do so.

Still I and others like me have a problem within the P system-Bad eyes and a lust for AF lenses beyond 300mm for birds and other wildlife. My Tamron 78-300mm zoom is just not long enough and is slow in the AF. Right now my only choice in a longer range lens at a somewhat affordable price is the Sigma 50-500mm or 100-500mm and I may be forced to buy one some time this year, but I keep hoping that Tamron will bring out their 100-500mm in a K-mount or that Pentax will bring out a 500mm prime for less than $1,500.

Bottom line is that their is a weakness in the Pentax line for AF beyond 300mm except for the old 600 prime and I do not have $7,000 to spend on a lens.

So I am still waiting.

P.S. If my cataracts get ripe and my ophthalmologist can fix my eyes, look out. I will load up on manual focus lenses and be happy.
04-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I agree, where are the long zooms at?
04-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
Actually the Sigma Mount is an evolution of the K mount

just compare these two shots side by side

and you will see what i am talking about, they look fairly similar to me, not to mention, that pentax and sigma mounts in sigma lenses share the same rear cap.
That's interesting. Tapered lugs and location of lock tab are the same. Sigma did borrow an important aspect from Canon and that is the control pins are inside the cavity instead of in the interface surface. I think this might be why the Canon mount feels a little smoother when twisting lenses in and out.

If you ask me, they took the best from both.

Bart
04-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The question should be, "why don't Canon and Nikon make cameras that are able to use the Pentax lenses and therefore able to take advantage of the best glass made in Japan and arguably the world?"

The reason I purchased my Pentax DSLR was so I could use this great glass. The fact that the cameras are pretty bloody good is a bonus.
04-15-2007, 10:28 PM   #30
Inactive Account

One of the best kept sectrets in all of photography is the beauty of Pentax lenses. Years ago it was not a sectet at all. At one time they were held in the same league as Zeiss and Leica. The * series and limiteds are among the best lenses ever made by anybody, period. So why doesn't Pentax make a camera to use Nikon or Canon lenses?

Did you know that there are people who buy Canon DSLRs and put Pentax Super Takumar screw mount lenses on them, via a simple adapter?

Answer, Pentax is not really all that famous for their camera bodies. They are well made and feature rich for a good price. But the #1 reason to shoot Pentax is the lenses. The whole reason some of these great lenses are hard to find is because everyone wants one. Even a whole crop of Canon shooters.

FA* 85 f1.4 - None better.