Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #31

Actually, many minor players use the K mount (Vivitar, Ricoh, etc) because the lenses are superior and Pentax was willing to license the mount.

They refused to license the A mount, leading to a vast confusion of lenses and bodies in the third-party world. Seems with Sigma, they've learned their lesson and are licensing the full mount (well, not the real full mount, but the "crippled" KAF2 mount).

A lot of Pentax lenses were converted to Canon by Marty Forscher in New York many years ago. Pentax is known for the best lenses you can get.

04-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Well in my own humble opinion, I can only send my congratulations to Canon EOS users as they are able to use almost all other brands lenses with an adapter. Like the awesome SMC A* 300/4 and the ultra cool SMC 15/3.5 for example.

As for Pentax, the backwards compability is uniqe and changing that would be a drawback in sales figures and goodwill.

But hey steffy, I think you started a good thread here, as all the benefits of the K-mount came to insight in one single thread!

// Mats
04-16-2007, 09:10 PM   #33

Original Poster
Just thinking in other terms for a second. Given that pentax lenses are so rare I'm surprised people build businesses around a solution that cannot easily be replaced. Specifically imagine one day your camera gear is stolen how are you going to replace those lenses again given how hard they are to come by today? Would that be the case with another brand? I'm sure you guys who use Pentax professionally have insurance but nonetheless you're probably going to have to go looking for those FA lens again if the worst happens.
04-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Pentax lenses are not rare. Why this B.S.-ing? I don´t know where you live steffy, but here in Sweden you just walk in through the door att the camera store and get one....

I´d suggest that you get some ground under your feet before you post stuff here. Otherwise, it might be misleading to others who would like to read facts on this forum.

Jeez...

04-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Ojojoj.

And what camera store is that Mats?
04-17-2007, 12:22 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Jonas.

I bought my DA 50-200 at Scandinavian Photo here in Stockholm a week ago, so that wasn´t too hard.

// Mats
04-17-2007, 12:43 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Some of the older lenses would be considered rare. But for the most part you can easily find Pentax glass in many places on the web. Yes there are some lenses that would be very hard to replace, but in the long run so would the older glass from Cannon and Nikon.
I know if this were to happen to me my insurance would cover the loss and I would start the search all over again and be just as happy with what I have found.
04-17-2007, 03:52 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steffi Quote
Just thinking in other terms for a second. Given that pentax lenses are so rare I'm surprised people build businesses around a solution that cannot easily be replaced. Specifically imagine one day your camera gear is stolen how are you going to replace those lenses again given how hard they are to come by today? Would that be the case with another brand? I'm sure you guys who use Pentax professionally have insurance but nonetheless you're probably going to have to go looking for those FA lens again if the worst happens.
It's not like it's impossible to find lenses, which is what you make it sound like. Sure, discontinued lenses can be hard to track down, but how is that different from any other brand? Certain lenses in production are often out of stock due to high demand, but it's really not hard to simply place an order for one and wait a couple of months for it to arrive. And there are plenty of lenses (like the DA 50-200 mentioned above) that you can find by walking into any camera store. Just go to Amazon, and you'll find a dozen lenses you could order and have on your doorstep tomorrow: Amazon.com: Lenses - Film Cameras

04-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steffi Quote
It seems Pentax have a very good reputation for their current line of DSLRs but the availability of lenses considered by some to be a weakness. So why don't they simply give up the lens business and make a body that uses either Canon or Nikon lenses? Are the licensing costs too high to make this a worthwhile exercise?
Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet. Anybody remember "Asahi Kogaku Goshi Kaisha", later to be renamed, "Asahi Optical Company"? The original names for what is now called the "Pentax Corporation". The company had it genesis in the manufacture of eyeglass lenses in 1919, branching out a few years later in the manufacture of cinematic projector lenses.

Still photograph cameras came much later, and Asahi was one of the early inovators in the SLR design. The 'folklore' says that Asahi got into the photographic camera business to act as an outlet for their lenses. Perhaps true, possibly not. One thing we can all believe in is that cameras would be much different today if it were not for the development and innovations of Asahi to modern camera design. Today, lens manufacture is still a very large part of the Pentax portfolio.

For those interested, more historical information can be found at "A brief history of the Asahi Optical Corporation", hosted by the Asahi Optical Historical Club.
04-17-2007, 10:51 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
Jonas.

I bought my DA 50-200 at Scandinavian Photo here in Stockholm a week ago, so that wasn´t too hard.

// Mats
Now that wasn't hard, I agree. But now they have none. Seems as you got the last one in Stockholm.

For the moment Scandinavian Photo has exactly one lens in stock in Stockholm, the DA10-17. Then they have three or four in Bankeryd if you want to order them, along with two Sigma zooms. That's all.

Scandinavian Photo is probably the largest photo store in Sweden and Stockholm is our largest city. One single Pentax lens.
04-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I have a better question, steffi.

Why don't you stop trolling and just settle with a Canon or a Nikon DSLR and let us Pentaxians enjoy our lack of lenses?

Just an honest question, same as your's.

Cheers,
-Asad
04-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede:
Why don't you stop trolling and just settle with a Canon or a Nikon DSLR and let us Pentaxians enjoy our lack of lenses?
Aye Asad. Steffi is just doing what he is best at. I tried to have some patience but now when I see what replies he get and he even doesn't bother with a "Thank you" I give him no hope. A sad case. - regards,
04-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #43
Forum Member

Why doesn't?

I think a better and more logical (as there 20 million Pentax mount lenses that would fit their cameras) question would be, 'Why doesn't Nikon and Canon make a camera that uses Pentax lenses?'
04-18-2007, 08:14 AM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede Quote

Cheers,
-Asad
personally i think steffis jealous
04-18-2007, 08:14 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
Actually, many minor players use the K mount (Vivitar, Ricoh, etc) because the lenses are superior and Pentax was willing to license the mount.

They refused to license the A mount, leading to a vast confusion of lenses and bodies in the third-party world. Seems with Sigma, they've learned their lesson and are licensing the full mount (well, not the real full mount, but the "crippled" KAF2 mount).

A lot of Pentax lenses were converted to Canon by Marty Forscher in New York many years ago. Pentax is known for the best lenses you can get.
So that's what happened!

Ugh Whyyy! Well at least they still let third party make "A" type lenses. Its too bad they restricted the KA Mount did because it seemed to initiate Ricoh's downfall and now Pentax, doesn't really have a dSLR partner. (Samsung doesn't really count..lol)

I would think Ricoh and Pentax's successes in the early days where kinda hand in hand because of the exchangeability between the brands. I could only imagine what the camera world would look like had Ricoh stuck with the Pentax "A" instead of having to develop their "P" lenses and then fading from the SLR scene altogether.