Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Metering mode should have nothing/zilch/zero to do with autofocusing

QuoteOriginally posted by quenched Quote
it was hunting forever from memory, very low light. Maybe need to play with the metering, havent had it for long.

05-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could be a dirty AF sensor possibly. The only time mine has hunted _ever_ is when I've been shooting birds against a clear sky with the Bigma and miss focus. (And oh boy, the Bigma is NOT fast when it has to rack focus in/out.. ugh. That's why I got the 400/5.6 -- gotta love that 8 meter focus limiter!)

Last edited by pingflood; 05-01-2009 at 12:13 PM.
05-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Some cameras can do AF better in low light because they provide an AF assist lamp. Pentax cameras don't - unless you pup op the flash to serve as an AF assist, then close it again after focus is achieved. Which works but is clumsy, slow, and more distracting than the more focused AF assist lamps employed by other cameras. Such is life.

However, I'd challenge the notion that focusing manually won't work. It takes practce, and you might find installing a split prism screen will help, but in the end, it generally yields better results, for several reasons. One is that with the very shallow DOF you deal with when using large apertures, even the slightest focus error on the camera can make your subject out of focus, and most cameras are not as accurate under strongly colored but weak artificial lighting (eg, virtually all club lighting) as they are in daylight. but more important, the AF sensors are pretyt big, and even though you might be pointing directly at the subject's face and seeing the little red square light up right on their nose, the AF system is still likely to notice the microphone, stand, cord, guitar neck, trumpet bell, cymbal, or other object somewhere kind of near the face and choose to focu on that instead, because it's still within range of that same AF sensor. So you end up with lots of sharp pictures of microphones and cymbals with blurry faces behind them. MF oftens ends up being the only way to guarantee focus is where you want it.

Like I said, though, it does take practice, and for many people, a split prism focus screen like the Katz Eye helps.

I second that. There are people who think that photography is a simple act of pointing the camera in the general direction of the subject and pressing the shutter. And if it does not take picture, upgrade the camera not the skill
05-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Every now and again I like to roam around the house in dim light to see if the k200 can focus in less than ideal lighting conditions. Not antisocial mind you, just testing. :-) I have noticed that on the DA 50-200 at least, the focus is pretty quick albeit noisy.

I'm mostly convinced that the speed and accuracy of the AF is connected to the level of battery power. I have the cam and the grip loaded with fully charged Enerloops and it hardly hunts in dim light. Compare it to last Saturday when I was forced to MF because the same lens just kept giving up. Only to find out the next day that both my flash and body batteries were going.

A couple of weeks before that I was in DC for the cherry blossoms and both that and the kit lens pretty much locked on quick. Granted it was a bright day, but still! :-)