Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #46

Shutter Lag?

My first big outing with the K10D on Saturday past was for a christening, 100 guests and two brothers the subjects of attention... 4 months and 18 months.

Busy day? You bet it was, I shot 550 plus images, and threw away less junk that I have done with any other camera.

Not saying they were all printable shots, but discards because of poor focus, late or delayed capture due to any form of error other than the nut behind the viewfinder were rare.

Shutter lag? never noticed it...the camera felt like a projection of my mind.. but then my mind is slower than it used to be.. maybe that is what this is all about.

In my mind, there are very few issues with the camera body and I have owned many from all makes over the years, the major problem is in the lenses we are using, you purchase a premium camera body and hang a mediocre quality lens on it, you will get mediocre quality shots.

Having reviewed all of the shots taken on the weekend, I could easily grade them by lens used, average, good, and excellent. In no way could I fairly blame the camera body.

Summary? A poor tradesman blames his tools!

04-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #47
Pentaxian

If you want to shoot without shutter lag there is always MF as already stated, however there seems to be no lag in AF.Continues either. It will fire directly even if out of focus, with the benefit of auto focus if you half press before shooting. Best of both worlds, pretty nice actually.
04-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Forgetting the frame rate... if you pick up a canon 30D (for eg) and a K10D, focus and click once... and you had to pick your favourite.. blindfolded... you'd pick the canon DEFINITELY... and you could be forgiven for thinking that the pentax had some kind of lag by the sound and feel of it. The canon sounds great ... one solid reassuring click.. the K10 sounded as though it was taking exposures longer than the setting!(in comparison) .. I almost bought one just based on that. Trust me... I've tried tested these two cameras together for a good hour or so. Try it yourselves rather than guessing I say! You get kind of an idea from the links below...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK10D/Samples/Audio/k10djpegfine.mp3

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS30D/Samples/Audio/eos30d-raw.mp3

I guess as soon as you get used to it and feel sure you're not getting any lag this no longer becomes an issue..
04-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I second your observation regarding the shutter lag. At least it feels very "sticky" with an strong irresponsive feel. Other Pentax DSLRs or even SLRs don't have such feeling.
Always 'Mr Negative'........

04-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #50
Veteran Member

That's IT!!!! This Canucks Fuse has Blown...

QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
I did post my statement as a uncertainty, did I not? I feel Gimbal's post was in trollish form, but if he shows that he has actually read the forums while he lurks, and refrains from 'hogwash' exclamations in future postings, I am willing to accept the fact that he isn't a troll.

Further, I was merely pointing out (to Stu, thanks for reminding me of his name) that the number of lame-duck cameras is likely far lower than perverse internet sensationalism has made it out to be.

As always, your opinion is yours, David, but being patronizing only raises the ire of my 'quick tongue.'
Your pompous arrogance is only surpassed by your crass and utterly despicable and repugnant behavior. All I have ever witnessed from you on this forum is verbal aggression mixed with authoritarian almost fascist like behavior.

You really are a piece of work...

Last edited by benjikan; 04-15-2007 at 03:18 PM.
04-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
Forgetting the frame rate... if you pick up a canon 30D (for eg) and a K10D, focus and click once... and you had to pick your favourite.. blindfolded... you'd pick the canon DEFINITELY... and you could be forgiven for thinking that the pentax had some kind of lag by the sound and feel of it. The canon sounds great ... one solid reassuring click.. the K10 sounded as though it was taking exposures longer than the setting!(in comparison) ..
I read somewhere that the shutter sound of the K10D is muffled because the camera body is so well sealed. This sounds entirely plausible to me. Personally, I am happy to have a quieter camera, indeed, one of my big complaints about digital SLRs as compared to the excellent compact/fixed-lens, non-SLR cameras is that the compact cameras can shoot silently (no mirror slap) while the SLRs simply can't.

Will
04-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

04-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Where?

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Nice one Mr. Slipchuck...Where did you get that from? And Will, I'll just say this...You are a true diplomat, I take my hat off to you...

Ben
04-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #54
Inactive Account

I like it Randy great ice breaker.
04-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
Forgetting the frame rate... if you pick up a canon 30D (for eg) and a K10D, focus and click once... and you had to pick your favourite.. blindfolded... you'd pick the canon DEFINITELY... and you could be forgiven for thinking that the pentax had some kind of lag by the sound and feel of it. The canon sounds great ... one solid reassuring click.. the K10 sounded as though it was taking exposures longer than the setting!(in comparison) .. I almost bought one just based on that. Trust me... I've tried tested these two cameras together for a good hour or so. Try it yourselves rather than guessing I say! You get kind of an idea from the links below...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK10D/Samples/Audio/k10djpegfine.mp3

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS30D/Samples/Audio/eos30d-raw.mp3

I guess as soon as you get used to it and feel sure you're not getting any lag this no longer becomes an issue..
Its worth keeping in mind that some of the sound you hear from a DSLR is likely to be cosmetic. Some digital compacts can be set to make a variety of sounds as the picture is taken (varying in some cases from a traditional shutter sound to a beep to no sound at all). Prior to the K10D I used the *istD. It made a sound that wasn't a million miles from what I was used to with an LX with a motor drive. I suspect there was no real need for it to make that sound given that it wasn't winding film on after each shot. Interestingly it was, on a subliminal level at least, quite pleasing and reassuring to hear. Camera styling isn't just about the way it feels.

It wouldn't surprise me if we are being thrown off the scent a little by a cosmetic sound that actually bears no relation (in timing or function) to the mechanical process of tripping the shutter.

Ben has enormous experience using the K10D and if anyone would be aware of lag it is him. Frankly, that is good enough for me.
04-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #56
Inactive Account

SpoongeBob Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Any fan of SpongeBob is a friend of mine. Great graphic, very appropriate.
04-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steffi Quote
I can assure you I'm not RiceHigh in disguise. It was another poster here in this forum who posted a link to RiceHigh's blog and cited it as a balanced viewpoint. I can assure you that I'm not RiceHigh nor am I heavily experienced with DSLRs. Why do you guys bash RiceHigh so much? He claims to own quite a lot of Pentax gear and I've never heard him advocating a competitor so why give him such a hard time. He seems to be a lot more informed about DSLRs than I for sure and I welcome his skepticism. But enough with the conspiracy theories he and I are not the same person nor do I have any affiliation with him. Actually to be honest I'm simply somebody who desparately doesn't want to buy Nikon as I don't like the customer support and Canon right now doesn't have any offering that interests me given that the 30D is an 8.2 megapixel camera nor does it have weather seals.
Why do you assume that RiceHigh's blog is balanced?
04-15-2007, 06:56 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Get a puppy,

that'l cheer you up.
04-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I have lurked the forum for a while and this is a little bit worrying, is this the kind of forum where you have to be a blind fanboy and praise Pentax no matter what? If so, please let me know and I will leave. Blind fanaticism is not what I’m looking for in a forum.

So let me get this straight. Anybody who defends Pentax because they do not see the problem that the original poster sees is a fanboy? Are you serious? So, I guess the only way to not be labelled a fanboy is to blindly agree with every criticsim?
The respondants have indicated that they do not experience shutter lag and at least one of the respondants is a pro!
04-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #60
Forum Member

You know, I always thought it was somewhat suspect in many Pentax users pointing out alleged "haters" going from forum to forum stirring up the pot of acrimony. What kind of loser visits websites to trash a camera they haven't used properly, or studied in detail? LOL. What a waste of energy. It's a camera and a good one at that. What manner of witchcraft or idiocy posesses a person to provide disinformation on a camera, of all things? Don't like Pentax? Fine! But going around and disturbing forums and spreading lies about a CAMERA...jeez. What a dull, simple and boring life these people must lead. The day I make it my mission to adopt a new internet identity and troll around the internet with the mission of misinforming the public about a picture-taking machine- you guys have permission to shoot me.