Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2007, 04:46 AM   #1

Well a little underwhelmed by the K10D

Managed to find one to play with in a remote part of Thailand.

Whilst I appreciate that it's impossible to evaluate this camera whilst in the store I will just say that for me the shutter lag was apparent and I wasn't completely won over by the ergonomics. Things felt a little and I do mean a little cramped for me. The camera had the 18-55 kit lens. It was remarkable to even find one in this part of Thailand so I consider myself fortunate to have had a chance to look it over.

04-15-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There is NO shutter lag at all. The camera has to focus - after that, it's instant.
04-15-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Steffi,

I'm not known for my tact or for being polite. You have made three posts in two days. All could be labeled as borderline 'trolling'. This is the worst and most clearly a blatant attempt at 'Pentax Bashing'.

This is a Pentax forum: users mutually supporting each other and Pentax cameras.

Why are you here?
04-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
Like everybody else making a purchasing decision I came here looking for information about the K10D and I'm pleased to have found it. That said I'm a little surprised at the sensitivity people have to my underwhelmed post. This is my opinion and only that. I'm not here to bash anything or anybody I'm simply posting my limited experience after having a K10D in my hands today. I was excited by all the positive views of the camera people had and then somebody pointed me to HighRices blog and I skim read some of that and his experiences in forums posting entries that could be considered of a negative viewpoint.

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Steffi,

I'm not known for my tact or for being polite. You have made three posts in two days. All could be labeled as borderline 'trolling'. This is the worst and most clearly a blatant attempt at 'Pentax Bashing'.

This is a Pentax forum: users mutually supporting each other and Pentax cameras.

Why are you here?

04-15-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Why dont u buy a dispsable camera and find a forum site for them.Your not a Pentax person so why not move on. Ive got a K10D and its a bloody great camera.Very fast shutter response and feels good to me.Image quality is great.
04-15-2007, 05:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steffi Quote
Like everybody else making a purchasing decision I came here looking for information about the K10D and I'm pleased to have found it. That said I'm a little surprised at the sensitivity people have to my underwhelmed post. This is my opinion and only that. I'm not here to bash anything or anybody I'm simply posting my limited experience after having a K10D in my hands today. I was excited by all the positive views of the camera people had and then somebody pointed me to HighRices blog and I skim read some of that and his experiences in forums posting entries that could be considered of a negative viewpoint.

Nobody who is established here is being overly sensitive about your opinions or questions. Your questions and the manner of your grammar is potentially quite inflammatory. This is not helped by your defensive, non-responsive reply here; and helped even less by your reference to RiceHigh.

The K10d is an excellent camera. The proof of that is in the consumer demand it has created. But it's not for everybody. Some are simply not going to like it's ergonomics; others simply cannot appreciate it's feature set due to their own limited experience.

You started this with a wildly incorrect statement: "the K10d has noticeable shutter lag". You made a wild proposition that Pentax doesn't or cannot make lens's. No proof, nothing to support your position, just volatile quips dropped in the midst of Pentax users and supporters---that's trolling.

You're getting the response you provoke---that's another of my flaws: I call things as I see them, brutally honest, in your face fashion.

So I repeat: "Why are you here?"
04-15-2007, 05:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I can appreciate that you're trying to make a purchasing decision, and I think it is wise to search out others' opinions. And I think it is entirely appropriate that you should come here and post questions and/or concerns regarding the K10D. It is, after all, a substantial purchase and not one to be taken lightly.

I think the issue is that coming here and simply stating a) how "underwhelmed" you were with the K10D and b) that Pentax would be better off using Canikon lenses, gives the appearance that you are just trying to get a rise out of people. My suggestion is to do a little more research, because your stated opinions strike me as somewhat uninformed. That's not bad (everyone's opinions are, at some point, uninformed), I just think you would be better off searching through old threads here and elsewhere first.

Good luck choosing a camera. There are quite a few good ones out there, and it's important to remember that it's what's behind the camera that makes a good photograph, not the camera itself.

04-15-2007, 05:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Whilst I appreciate that it's impossible to evaluate this camera whilst in the store I will just say that for me the shutter lag was apparent and I wasn't completely won over by the ergonomics. Things felt a little and I do mean a little cramped for me. . .
Well, I guess this is why they make Canon's, Nikon's, and Sony's
If Pentax doesn't suite someone, then off to the next
Not every camera is perfect, hell no, not even Pentax. take a good long look at all the cameras out there and one will fit you just perfectly.
BTW, it would be hard to find an unbias opinion on a pentax forum about a pentax camera.

cheers and good luck

randy
04-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Ummmmm.....Shuttttttttter...Laaaaagggggggg

Whilst I appreciate that it's impossible to evaluate this camera whilst in the store I will just say that for me the shutter lag was apparent and I wasn't completely won over by the ergonomics. Things felt a little and I do mean a little cramped for me. The camera had the 18-55 kit lens. It was remarkable to even find one in this part of Thailand so I consider myself fortunate to have had a chance to look it over.
Ummmmmm...Did you say shutter lag? Did I hear that correctly? Interesting. When I am doing a photo-shoot and I mean a Fashion Shoot, I MUST capture the model in the pose that she is giving me or I loose the shot. Every camera has shutter lag, but being a Canon user as well I see no difference between my Canon's and the Pentax. If it is cramped try the Canon XTi or the D80 without a grip..Now that IS cramped. I use my K10D's all with grips.

I think you may have had difficulties understanding the difference between shutter lag and auto focus confirmation.

Here is a sample of MY shutter lag and the consequence. Captured just where I wanted it as the shoe was thrown...

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.
04-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't normally respond to these type of threads but it is raining and I have not had full cup off coffee so why not.

Most people would if they had questions about buying a camera post questions or "has anyone notice this" type things. You said it you had a few minutes in the store to evaluate. HMMM I guess the 10 or so reviews around the web of people that spend hours evaluating must be way off. I have not checked your other posts but but sounds like Jeff has and he does no doubt call them as he see's them good, bad, or ugly.

Maybe we simply have a language isssue here. So let me ask this, do you even own any camera? If so what do you like about that one?

Working on the rest of my coffee so gotta go
04-15-2007, 06:14 AM   #11
Inactive Account

All though everyone has their opinions to the K10D And there may be a language barrier with you being from Ti land (I know English is hard to interpret at times) I don't feel as though you have given this camera or Pentax the credit it is due. did you compare the camera with other brands? Did they feel more ergonomically better to you, and if so then why didn't you buy one of those other brands? Have you ever used Pentax cameras and lenses before? I have to agree with (and I hate to say this) John. I think you are very ill informed, and your remark about reading Rice Highs blog only leads to further speculation as to why you are here.
We here on the forum have known rices posts and are fully aware he is a constant bash er of Pentax. and we ignore him. so if you want to be put into that category it will be very easy for us to do the same to you. So for your future posts I would read first (if you have any thing to input fine then do so as your own opinion) but become a little more familiar with the product before you inflame statements and enrage the rest of the members here.
04-15-2007, 06:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Not Cool

QuoteOriginally posted by trumpyman Quote
Why dont u buy a dispsable camera and find a forum site for them.Your not a Pentax person so why not move on. Ive got a K10D and its a bloody great camera.Very fast shutter response and feels good to me.Image quality is great.
Uncalled for....This is NOT that other site!
04-15-2007, 06:19 AM   #13

steffi,

You're gonna get little agreement on your kind of observations on a Pentax forum, so why even post them? Especially after so few days of experiencing the camera under limited conditions. This is not a point and shoot but an advanced serious amatuer camera.

What comes to mind after reviewing your posts is a novice with questionable skills (shutter lag on a 3 fps camera?). This is fine and most on this board will oblige and help a newbie out. However, will not tolerate one who probably doesn't know how to handle the camera yet and somewhat disparages the camera because of dissapointing results due to their lack of said skill.

With all do respect, even if you have decades of experience using cameras, there is a learning curve with this camera, especially if you're new to Pentax. Play with it some more and try to understand its advanced features and you'll see its true potential and value.

Good luck in your search for the camera that fits your needs.

Bori
04-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I second your observation regarding the shutter lag. At least it feels very "sticky" with an strong irresponsive feel. Other Pentax DSLRs or even SLRs don't have such feeling.
04-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What Are YOU talking about?

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I second your observation regarding the shutter lag. At least it feels very "sticky" with an strong irresponsive feel. Other Pentax DSLRs or even SLRs don't have such feeling.
What are you talking about? I have the Canon 1D Mkll's as well as the 20D and the 350D. The shutter lag on the K10D is non-discernible. I have shot subjects jumping in the air, throwing objects and moving towards the camera and the only "Shutter Lag" I have experienced is NOT shutter lag! It is focus confirmation. In fact I have turned off auto focus and haven't experienced this so called anomaly.

Have you actually used your camera in real life shooting situations and experienced this "malady"? Because I use this camera PROFESSIONALLY and when I say "I have" what I mean is this. When I do a shoot, I am generally capturing over 600 images per day. Now that is being conservative. The demands made on my "Tool" are such that, if it doesn't perform as required, I will be in that very deep and proverbial "S--T without a paddle". I can assure you that if this problem was apparent, my affiliation with PENTAX would cease rather abruptly. It is a none issue that is only becoming an issue with what I would classify as "DIS-INFORMATION"

Sir..I beg to differ.

Last edited by benjikan; 04-15-2007 at 04:37 PM.