Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Objectivity, No More No Less...

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I have lurked the forum for a while and this is a little bit worrying, is this the kind of forum where you have to be a blind fanboy and praise Pentax no matter what? If so, please let me know and I will leave. Blind fanaticism is not what I’m looking for in a forum.
I am not even close to being a "Fanboy" what ever that implies...But, I believe that the word "Objectivity" might be the term I would use when discussing these issues. This kind of discernment was not voiced in the original posting. Again, if the Pentax K10D did not stand up to scrutiny, I would not be having this discussion, as I would be elsewhere. The K10D does the job it was intended for and that is all I ask of it.

Last edited by benjikan; 04-15-2007 at 04:41 PM.
04-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #32

Gimbal,

Sorry if I sound disrespectful but I don't think you understand that you are viewing a PENTAX forum. Of course you're gonna see fanboyism but I think most will say not the blind type. This is no different from other forums of other brands where you will read the same kind of posts and responses. This is not exclusive to this forum or any other if you choose to leave.

This is not blind loyalism although maybe loyalty on the part of consumer and company is part of the reason why Pentax has been around for many decades in such a competitive and shifting market.

Objectivity in a pure sense is hard to achieve as long as there is a human element involved. Good luck finding that somewhere else.

BTW, I own a Toshiba television, drive a Nissan, Panasonic superzoom, Sony P&S, Minolta SLR, XBOX 360, and I built my own computer with different brand parts. I say very nice things about them even though they act up now and them but then it's sometimes due to my own ignorance or error. Still speaking highly about them doesn't makes me a fanboy just an appreciative owner. But then if that's what it means then I am what I am!

Thanks.

Bori
04-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #33
Inactive Account

I have lurked the forum for a while and this is a little bit worrying, is this the kind of forum where you have to be a blind fanboy and praise Pentax no matter what? If so, please let me know and I will leave. Blind fanaticism is not what I’m looking for in a forum.
Gimbal,
You say you have lurked this forum for some time, and if that is true you would know your statement about blind fanboys and brand fanaticism is truly hog wash here. I think Beth's quick tongue in calling you another troll is uncalled for and very unfounded. (so far) And Beth, Stu has the right to ask the question about a lemon camera, it is a possibility and a reasonable thought while trying to defuse this thread. I will admit the OP was more than a little off base with his lack of insite and when he spouts off about something Rice high has once again gone off track (with no reliable proof except his own demented testing ). I think he (steffi) does border on troll. Everyone must remember that, everyone on this forum has their own opinion and we for the most part do get along well with each other. There is no point to continuing this thread because it will only increase hostilities.

Steffi if you really feel that the shutter lags then by all means that's your opinion. However the consensus of the people here that own the camera and have used it for quite some time do not find the problem you have perceived.
It was the way you formed your opinion and stated it here that is at fault and in the future you might want to think before you make a statement like this again.
04-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oH, DON'T BE A b*TThEAD!

If you find something wrong other than what you cause yourself, please let us all know! Get bad service or rude tech support on the phone, write it up and post. Same if you get great service and support.

But if you are in 'over-your-head' wrt to the manual or the camera or anything else photographic, just ask for help without all the theatrics of brand bashing.

Pentax users are friendly and courteous and helpful (just like other camera users) if you offer the same respect.

Fanboy is a pergoritive term; much like a racial slur--don't use such terms or go away! Like other camera fanatics, Pentax users probably have other cameras nearby, but they mostly stick to Pentax gear here. That's not a crime.

04-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Objectivity is exactly what I’m looking for, and while the original post could have been less aggressive I found some of the answers to be even worse. I figured the poster was concerned about shutter lag and the answers basically stated that he was an idiot and that he should stop criticise Pentax, and finally what the h..ll was he doing here anyway.

And now it seems I’m a troll too.

Anyhow, I should lighten up, darn headache is making me cranky.

So Bori, you drive a Nissan, hehe. Just kidding, I’m a Citroen driver, feel free to laugh.
04-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Hmmm I know what he means. It's not lag as such .. or we 'd be missing shots left right and centre... although maybe I should test it more.

What he means (I think) is that when you press the shutter on a canon 30D for instance there's a definite, short and rather nice 'click' .. but at the same exposure time the sound the K10 makes is soft and it sounds too long for such a short event!

Next time you're in a camera shop try it. It did put me off the K10D a little.

I wondered exactly the same thing as the poster did. But in the end I wrote it off as just the sound it makes rather than shutter lag. But maybe it is shutter lag? My S5i has shutter lag but I bet I could capture a flying shoe with that if I wanted to! haha
04-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #37
Inactive Account

that was a bit long winded.. what I mean to say is.. because of the long sound it makes I couldn't tell if the shot was taken the instant I pressed the button or not... it didn't 'sound' like it (I'm talking about short exposures obviously)

04-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Critiques at Pentax Forums

Objectivity is exactly what I’m looking for, and while the original post could have been less aggressive I found some of the answers to be even worse. I figured the poster was concerned about shutter lag and the answers basically stated that he was an idiot and that he should stop criticise Pentax, and finally what the h..ll was he doing here anyway.

And now it seems I’m a troll too.

Anyhow, I should lighten up, darn headache is making me cranky.

So Bori, you drive a Nissan, hehe. Just kidding, I’m a Citroen driver, feel free to laugh.
If you spend more time here and read some of the posts related to objective concerns regarding many issues with many of the Pentax models, you will see that criticism is offered and welcome. I have been critical of certain issues related to BF and FF in the 21mm Limited for example. It was a real problem that I was perplexed by and seeking solutions to solving. The difference here I think, is that I used this lens for a Pro shoot and captured several hundreds of images with it. Therefore my basis for the critique might be considered well founded. I do not think that spending a few moments in a camera store with a product constitutes a valid and objective analysis of that product. None the less, I believe the reason the attacks were so vehement, was due to this lack of a solid basis for a valid or objective critique.
04-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Gimbal,
You say you have lurked this forum for some time, and if that is true you would know your statement about blind fanboys and brand fanaticism is truly hog wash here. I think Beth's quick tongue in calling you another troll is uncalled for and very unfounded. (so far) And Beth, Stu has the right to ask the question about a lemon camera, it is a possibility and a reasonable thought while trying to defuse this thread.
I did post my statement as a uncertainty, did I not? I feel Gimbal's post was in trollish form, but if he shows that he has actually read the forums while he lurks, and refrains from 'hogwash' exclamations in future postings, I am willing to accept the fact that he isn't a troll.

Further, I was merely pointing out (to Stu, thanks for reminding me of his name) that the number of lame-duck cameras is likely far lower than perverse internet sensationalism has made it out to be.

As always, your opinion is yours, David, but being patronizing only raises the ire of my 'quick tongue.'
04-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
I did post my statement as a uncertainty, did I not? I feel Gimbal's post was in trollish form, but if he shows that he has actually read the forums while he lurks, and refrains from 'hogwash' exclamations in future postings, I am willing to accept the fact that he isn't a troll.

Further, I was merely pointing out (to Stu, thanks for reminding me of his name) that the number of lame-duck cameras is likely far lower than perverse internet sensationalism has made it out to be.

As always, your opinion is yours, David, but being patronizing only raises the ire of my 'quick tongue.'
Beth,
I'm not trying to be patronizing by any means. My actual intentions is in defusing a situation where feelings and egos will not be hurt. Yes you have a valid point of the stats on lame duck cameras, but I think Stu was trying to find a way for the guy to bow out of this thread with something in tact. I realize you do have a quick tongue and your ire is quick also and to tell you the truth At times I find it refreshing, But I think we all need to give this guy a break. I think he has gotten the message.
04-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #41

Gimbal,

A little off topic, yeah I drive a Nissan and it rides well. I've just noticed that most things I own electronic-wise are Japanese manufactured (Toshiba,Sony, Onkyo, Pentax, Panasonic, etc.). I am probably a Japan fanboy! I am dying to go to Tokyo someday. Well, just about everything else I own is made in China, lol. Can't get around that it seems.

As to your Citroen, I like French wine and pastries too, lol.
04-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #42
PDL
Pentaxian

First we get a post from someone who does not own a K10D about something that does not exist. Then we get to listen to RH - whose long history of backhanded Pentax comments are spread across three forums - and not a single image posted - hmmm. And now we hear from a lurker who states that he will remove himself from the forum if the "fanboy's" don't lighten up.

Well the proof is in the posters words and responses - If you do not own a Pentax - ask - do not declare. If you feel compelled to measure every possible pseudo technical aspect of a camera - then do it for all brands. If you basically b*tch about a K10D - you should own one. If you are a lurker (and I have been lurking for years in many forums) then lurk - If you don't like perceived "Fanboy's" and their comments - which will make you buy a different camera - then go purchase another camera brand.

Oh and to the OP - if you want to eliminate your perceived existence of "shutter lag" focus first - it is the AF button on the back of the camera -- so much for extensive research eh?

PDL - fanboy wannabe
04-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #43
Inactive Account

What's an OP? Is that me? Yeah I focus first before firing. that's not what I was referring to. I'm talking about the naure of the shutter and how that could lead to the feeling (at least) of shutter lag. Maybe i was testign a lemon with regards to the shutter.
04-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #44

OP = Original Poster
04-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
What he means (I think) is that when you press the shutter on a canon 30D for instance there's a definite, short and rather nice 'click' .. but at the same exposure time the sound the K10 makes is soft and it sounds too long for such a short event!
I know what you're talking about.. I was just testing out my old ZX-M and noticed the shutter sound is a lot quieter and shorter than the one produced by my K110D, by a long shot.

as far as the OP (original poster) - I can't comment, I've never once seen or held a K10D in person. In another year or two perhaps I'll get one.