Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #1

K20D kit lens

Is it proofed as per the camera? I was looking at getting this kit, and a DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 zoom. I know the tele is proofed (well, resistant), but is the kit 18-55?

Thanks for any help.

Nick

04-24-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
to my knowledge, neither have been weatherproofed in anyway.
04-24-2009, 05:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
So it's a waste of time buying the camera for that feature?
04-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #4

It is to my understanding that only the DA* lenses are water resistant.

04-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #5

Original Poster
OK. Thanks. I had understood that the DA stuff was up to the same standard as the body, as you say.

Your statement bears out what the vendor said.

The _store_ were great. As I say they said what you said.

It was the manufacturer that were shocking.
04-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #6

Anecdotal evidence suggests it's still useful having a weather-resistant body, even if the lenses aren't, because the lenses aren't quite as sensitive. There are simply less openings on most lenses, and you can generally control what gaps are moved under bad conditions (e.g. zoom ring). You're also able to use the body to "shield" the lens when carrying it around, and the prism/flash overhang serves as a mount-area guard when horizontal.

You should still be careful, of course; there are tales of condensation inside lenses that takes professional work to deal with, etc. The non-sealed lenses are also missing a gasket on the mount, which means moisture etc may be able to enter the body there. Some people like to use older, optically good lenses that are relatively cheap to replace if something goes wrong, so they can afford not to worry about it, but seem to have no trouble in foul weather anyway.

But yes, as the others said, the DA Star series are the only Pentax lenses that have weather seals; the regular DA series (including the 18-55 and the 55-300) do not. The most fantastic images and stories about Pentax gear surviving things like mud puddle drops, sand storms and tripod-mounted blizzards almost always have a sealed lens in them.

There's a long thread here that shows some of the experiences people have had.

Last edited by Quension; 04-24-2009 at 07:53 AM.
04-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
None of my Pentaxes have ever had permanent damage from weather. The closest I came was a salt water whale tail splash in the aquarium at Victoria, BC, Canada, but the only damage was to my ego as my family laughed their heads off at my missing the rest of the show while wiping down the camera.
04-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree - having a weather sealed camera *is* valuable whether your lenses are sealed or not. sure, it's *more* valuable if you have sealed lenses, because the you have a combo you can use completely uprotected in the rain if you feel like trusting those seals. With an unsealed lens, you're going to want to be a bit more careful - hold a plastic bag over the lens, etc. You'd want to do that anyhow, though - water drops on the front element of a lens won't ruin lens, but they may ruin the picture!

And since the body is sealed, at least you don't have to worry about ruining it - just potentially the lens. So don't use an expensive lens (and the kit lens is not expensive!) and you're fine. Some people worry that so much water would come in through the lens mount that's still risk ruining the camera. That's just not true, especially if you're even the slightest bit careful.

04-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies folks. Very helpful and food for thought.

The comment about the splashes, _on_ the lens, rings true. I was taking some lightning shots a few days back, and although I was sitting in the car, every now and the a drop would smear across the lens, and I would miss three flashes while I wiped it off. Trying to use my hand to shield a 27mm lens was really risky, because stopping the rain without photographing my hand was not easy.

Nick