Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
cracked lcd screen

Well, my K200d got bumped inside its bag and when I took it out alas there was
a big crack across the plastic cover of the lcd screen! Fortunately everything works fine, even the lcd screen. I guess I should just ignore it because the camera
works fine, but it bugs the hell out of me. Is the lcd one piece or is the outside a protective cover on top of the actual lcd? Can I order a part from Pentax and fix it myself or do I need to send it in? If it's prohibitively expensive I guess I'll just live with it and keep snapping away. Thanks for any insight anyone may have.

04-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the meantime, I would suggest getting an inexpensive LCD cover to keep things together and keep the dust and moisture out. Other than that, I think it's the repair shop. Unfortunately.
04-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I would send it in, just to have it "all good"
and as Albert points out, to keep it from the harms of dust and moisture..
and at the same time treat your baby to a full sensor cleaning..
04-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #4

I just replaced the screen cover on my K20D myself. It's a pretty straight forward job. I stuck a block on to the old screen to help pull it off while levering under the edge with a knife. Cut thin strips of double sided tape to fix the new one in place. You should be able to get a new screen from Pentax themselves or a firm which does repairs.

The actual LCD on mine was completely unmarked excpt for a small smudge at the centre of the crack, and it brushed away leaving no damage. I consider myself lucky!

04-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Mikeru!
The crack on mine looks almost identical to yours. LCD works fine,camera works fine.
I consider myself very lucky as well. I think I will check into getting it fixed. There is an authorized Pentax repair shop here in Metro Atlanta (Duluth, GA) If that's all there is to it,
it should be a reasonable price to fix. If not maybe I can get the part from them and reapir it myself.
04-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #6

You're welcome! I'd been meaning to post about it anyway, thinking that it might be of help to someone. If you've got a repair shop near you then yes, just drop along. I live a long long way from mine.
04-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikeru Quote
I just replaced the screen cover on my K20D myself. It's a pretty straight forward job. I stuck a block on to the old screen to help pull it off while levering under the edge with a knife. Cut thin strips of double sided tape to fix the new one in place. You should be able to get a new screen from Pentax themselves or a firm which does repairs.

The actual LCD on mine was completely unmarked excpt for a small smudge at the centre of the crack, and it brushed away leaving no damage. I consider myself lucky!

Nice! in the K20D service manual they show (for the OP info) the LCD as part number A241, and the one piece double sided tape that you seem to show in the last pic as part number A242. It might be easer to order the pre-made double sided tape that fits right on? Never tried or called them, but just giving some info from the schematic.