Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS doesn't do f/1.8 well either.

I was one of the early adopters of this L zoom from canon, and mine unfortunately had that really nasty flare issue that cropped up...so in my view Canon stuffed up somewhere along the production line with these lenses. Mine was repaired after a month. yes, I agree with you it is a stellar lens, Nikon doesn't have anything that matches it....yet.
Then again, Canon doesn't have anything near the 14-24 either... any idea what they did to fix your lens? Was there maybe some internal parts left unpainted that caused it?

QuoteQuote:

BTW pingflood, how is the sinar F1 in terms of finding camera bags to fit it in?...where I am here in OZ I haven't found anything that I can comfortably fit my Ebony 8X10 or 4X5 into.
It actually folds pretty compact. If you disconnected the bellows from one of the standards you can fold the standards down on top of the rail and it doesn't use up a lot of space. I have the original Sinar "trunk" for it (it's HUGE) but have been looking at more compact bags. The guy I bought it from had a Domke bag (can't remember the model, F-something) that it fit in really well when folded.

But right now it's sitting in a shipping container waiting to go overseas so I won't get to touch it for probably another six months

04-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Was there maybe some internal parts left unpainted that caused it?
yes, I presume that is what they had to do to reduce this flare problem because the lens would create what I could only describe the most beautiful display of fuzzy green objects if anything bright was in the frame( sometimes even outside!). I also believe they added some flocking at the rear end of the lens to stave off any internal reflections from that quarter. but the flare looked like it was coming from the front end of the lens, because that is where the biggest elements are.

I always liked the Idea of the Sinar F1. My Sinar P3 is a pain, I use mine as a 5X7 format camera to fit between my 4X5 and 8X10 view cameras. And I kind of expected Domke would have a bag to fit the thing in - problem is that here in OZ Domke bags are about as common as hoop snakes. I have been searching for a seller that can get them in..i'm a bit old fashioned in my purchase of alot of camera gear..I prefer to hold it in my hands and measure up it's durability. because Internet resellers can only tell you so much, and what they don't tell you can lead to a potential disaster.
04-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Is this person me?
04-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Is this person me?
Do you have an evil twin?

Like Igligan (Gus) said "get what makes you happy... anything else makes you less happy "

After saying that I suddenly got the urge to save for a DA 35... sell my taks? (OH NO)

04-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #35
Damn Brit

Have any of you guys noticed that the OP hasn't made a single response to this thread.
Just saying, that's all.
04-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Have any of you guys noticed that the OP hasn't made a single response to this thread.
Just saying, that's all.
Things people do with Internet anonimity

Not saying I'm hoping the OP won't pop up at one point
04-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #37
Nubi

I guess it depends on what kind of photography you do. If you are the type that takes thousands of shots and has to rely on one or two of them being good, then Pentax may not be it for you. But if you are the type that starts out with a concept and think and feel your way through a composition, then Pentax may be the one. I am not implying that either style of photography is better than the other, by the way.
04-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Just saying, that's all.
What do you think Brit? Is the OP to busy to respond? Or somthing else...............?

04-29-2009, 02:19 AM   #39

Er, the OP basically said he decided to stick with Canon on page 2...
04-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #40
Veteran Member

This thread was a joke all along.
04-30-2009, 04:32 AM   #41
Site Supporter

I hate these "talk me down, I'm going to jump" threads. Whether they are real or not, they are generally just a waste of time. There are differences in camera brands, but they are really not nearly as much as most make them out to be. The real difference is in the photographer.
04-30-2009, 04:40 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I hate these "talk me down, I'm going to jump" threads. Whether they are real or not, they are generally just a waste of time. There are differences in camera brands, but they are really not nearly as much as most make them out to be. The real difference is in the photographer.
That's just crazy talk!

You're right though; there are some differences (sometimes important ones) between the brands, but a photographer without a vision will turn out crap whether he's using a Holga or a D3.
04-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Damn Brit said:

QuoteQuote:
Just saying, that's all.

Actually, he did, post #22.

And he followed Mickey's advice and updated his lovely bright red sig.

Last edited by MPrince; 04-30-2009 at 10:17 AM.
05-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #44
nah

05-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #45
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Damn Brit said:

Actually, he did, post #22.

And he followed Mickey's advice and updated his lovely bright red sig.

I did kind of ignore that post didn't I?

I was trying to make the point that he's a troll without actually saying that he was.