Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Banned

Lure me back to Pentax

I've been thinking about switching back to Pentax and getting a k20d. I can't see spending $$$ on L lens in this economy. Help lure me back. Is the k20d that much better than the k10d I had???

04-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The controls are pretty close to the same, but the sensor (CMOS, you know) is much better. Also, if you do astro-photography, the k20 cannot turn off the dark frame, so a 30 sec exposure can only be taken every 60 sec.
04-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm happy with both....but I find the k20d much better with old glass and there is lots of great glass available. The k20d price has dropped (at least here) and it may drop more once a new camera is released. I guess one question is if you still have some glass available or did you sell it to finance the Canon? I switched back to Pentax from Canon when the k10d came out and while I was very happy with my Canon, I like the Pentax more.
04-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thumper Quote
I've been thinking about switching back to Pentax and getting a k20d. I can't see spending $$$ on L lens in this economy. Help lure me back. Is the k20d that much better than the k10d I had???
Thumper,
The post quoted below was found on the dpreview site at this address:

Re: Congrats on your PPG pics...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The poster is awaldram who reports how he now has to disable SR before using his K20 on a monopod, otherwise there is blurring.

I asked him what changes he had to make in his shooting after upgrading from K10 to K20. His reply indicates that Pentax really upgraded the SR in the K20. I've used SR in my K10 on a sturdy monopod and never had bluriness, which indicates the SR on the K20 is really strong. There are other comments about the K20 which indicates its good qualities.

Its was mainly about exposure and SR I found with the k10d I needed to keep shutter speeds up and iso's below iso1250 sr on even on monopod.

With the k20d iso is less important you can push it to 3200 without to much issue but having SR on when on the monopod was causing slightly blurry images.

The biggest difference though was the handling, difficult to explain but I found initially I had to slow down my image taking and think about my actions else the image just didn't work either camera shake or OOF images.

With time I'm back upto speed but suspect if I still had a k10d in my hands the problem would be the other way round.

Best wishes,

04-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Thumper: Help lure me back. Is the k20d that much better than the k10d I had???
Thumper, you have to lure yourself back to Pentax--which is what you are doing by starting this thread. If you owned a K10d, then you know the awesome value of a Pentax DSLR and I'm sure you know the K20 picks up where the K10 left off.

You need to make the decision for yourself. Tell us, why are you considering coming back to Pentax? What is it in your leave that has caused you to look at the greenery of the Pentax lawn again? What are you currently shooting with that has you straying once again?

I would suggest that as you begin to answer these questions for yourself, the answer you seek will reveal itself.
04-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm surprised you went to an 8.2 MP Canon 30D from a K10D. The 30D a fine camera...but I don't know what you gained by going to it...I do know what you lost by going to it...shake reduction...weather sealed...excellent lenses at a reasonable price.

The Canon system has some very good lenses...but expensive +++.

I've got a K10D and I'm very happy with it.
04-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
Damn Brit

... I can't see spending $$$ on L lens in this economy.
Looks to me like you answered your own question.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-25-2009 at 12:50 AM.
04-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

L primes are good stuff.

L zooms are just simply rip off.
04-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rent a K20D with any of the limited lenses then go out and make some photos. Sold.

Jack
04-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

This is the most ironic thread I've read in some time.
04-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Your 30D is over-exposing your highlights if i remember your posts correctly and you don't like it because you have to dial a -EV compensation. However you didn't like it when your K10D under exposed your frame when you spot metered on a white sail. Maybe a SLR isn't what you are looking for? Have you considered a high-end point and shoot like a DMC-LX2 from Panasonic?
04-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #12

Previously...

In the past I've bashed Pentax products pretty hard because of my previous experiences with a K10d. I then went to an XTi and now am finally happy with a 30d. To be honest, I don't think any camera body has an advantage with todays PP programs. One might have more bells and whistles than the other, thats all. It comes down to what camera feels right in your hands. It took me over a year to find mine. Pick which ever one feels right to you.
Emphasis mine.

It may help to read over your previous posts and see which way the wind blows.
04-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
L primes are good stuff.

L zooms are just simply rip off.
I don't think I've ever seen a crappy modern prime lens, save for the EF 50mm f/1.8
04-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Put one in your hand and see for yourself. If you like it, buy it.
That's what i do.:-)

Dave
04-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have no vested interest in what system you use.

So if you want me to lure you back to Pentax, you'll have to pay me.

Make me an offer, and I'll consider it.