Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Do Samsung reserve the better sensors for the GX20?

There's always a certain amount of variation in the quality of the chips produced in each batch. These quality variations can be identified, and the lesser (but still adequate) ones can be sold off cheaply, while the best ones will command a higher price. At least, that's my understanding of CPU production, and I imagine that the production of camera sensors would be similar in this respect.

I noticed that the K20D and GX20 get different sensor results in DX0 testing, which leads me to wonder if Samsung are reserving the better chips for their own line. See:

Compare cameras

04-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you also noticed that the K10D gets better results than the K20D in DxO testing? I guess Pentax reserves the right to use the better sensors in the older cameras.

Seriously, though, DxO's tests are shaky at best. The Luminous Landscape seems to agree, though for the love of me I can't find the link right now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
04-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Perhaps this theory (as silly as I find it) is the reason why Samsung charges more for the GX20 than Pentax does for the K20D?

Jason
04-26-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I am going to go on a limb and say not so much. If you consider how many of the sensors they make (as well as the fact that they use the same people/plant to fabricate other sensors) then it would be pretty hard to find the best sensors to put only into their own cameras. Also take into account that they would have to forecast the exact amount of cameras both Pentax and Samsung will need from year to year to get the "best" sensors. I am more of the school of thought that Samsung has engineers more familiar with the behavior of the sensors so their software takes advantage of things that they know vs Pentax who is given a firmware to integrate into their own software.

04-27-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Perhaps this theory (as silly as I find it) is the reason why Samsung charges more for the GX20 than Pentax does for the K20D?

Jason
They must send to Australia then the lessor quality Samsungs as they are cheaper here than K20's
04-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the gx20 wasnt cheaper when i bought my k20d

or id have had a gx20
04-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

HA! As you can see in this thread, one can get a crazy-cheap GX20. No such offer from Pentax.

04-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
I noticed that the K20D and GX20 get different sensor results in DX0 testing, which leads me to wonder if Samsung are reserving the better chips for their own line.
Also note that they used a higher precision ADC IIRC...
04-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The bottom must have dropped out for the GX20 price....seems the price is about 200 dollars cheaper now than a couple of months ago when I last checked...

According to Amazon's prices, the GX20 is still higher priced than the K20D as of today...

Anyway.

Jason
05-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
the gx20 wasnt cheaper when i bought my k20d

or id have had a gx20

Mine was more than $250 cheaper at Teds Cameras about 12 months ago
05-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know a whole lot about the manufacturing process of sensors and CPU's but I have read in many articles that that after a certain chip is in production for a while that almost all of them are very high quality so it's pretty safe to buy the slower chips for less money when building a system and overclock. If camera sensors are similar in the manufacture then after a few months of production there should be very little quality difference. It would not be in their best interest to sell Pentax crappy sensors. Samsung is the new kid on the block in the camera world and they need a quality camera maker with the reputation of Pentax to use their sensors.
05-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #12

The difference isn't much. It's doubtful they'd go to the trouble. Funny, DxO has the pixel pitch as being different.
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
Igilligan

Yes

Of course they do... why wouldn't they? Their name is on it!

And Toyota uses higher quality parts in their Japanese built Toyotas, than they do for the Mex-american made cars.
Even closer to home in this forum... The Pentax Vietnamese factories, send the highest rated (QC'd) lenses to the Asian Pacific markets and the lowest rated to the European - American markets...

From high on the Grassy Knoll, Gus Oswald reporting...
05-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Have you also noticed that the K10D gets better results than the K20D in DxO testing?
They corrected their numbers since 28/4. Now the high ISO performance of all the Pentax is down... (for example, the K20D was better than the D300 before the change). The GX20 is still not corrected and enjoy a second place amongst the APS-C cameras!

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor/DxOMark-reviews/DxOMark-...Pentax-cameras
05-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
They corrected their numbers since 28/4. Now the high ISO performance of all the Pentax is down... (for example, the K20D was better than the D300 before the change). The GX20 is still not corrected and enjoy a second place amongst the APS-C cameras!

DxOMark review for Pentax cameras
DxO isn't impervious to bribery. Something foul is afoot.