Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
inconsistant k20d whitebalance

I took this set of images to make a panoramic out of....

dial on M, iso 200 with D range on
1/800 fps
and f4.0 on the FA 35mm

White balance was set to daylight.
jpg mode,
10mp
four star quality

Can anyone tell me why there is so much inconsistency over the images? Some clouds are white others purple some greener some bluer and its not like those images are even facing the sun so its not flare.

04-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #2

might be a silly question, but did you have a polarizer on?
Also, even though the sun isnt in the frame, it does look like the sun is more intense in something like the 15th frame, as if it was high overhead but in that direction. Maybe it would help if you posted some of the unprocessed original frames.
-southy
04-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think to do this, you have to lock the WB into a colour temp. I've noticed myself that the WB presets still seem to leave the camera some wiggle room for adjustment.
04-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
yes i did have a polariser on, but I would not think that could cause the problem... however if what wheatfield says is true that the camera still had wiggle room on 'daylight' mode then ill have to try with a set temp.

04-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should look at Custom Settings -> 12.
04-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ahh thanks rawhead, i did have a quick look through but nothing stuck out as being that exact option
04-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #7

I don't think there is anything wrong with the white balance of the camera. I do mostly panoramics myself and use a K20D. I think the reason for the inconsistent white balance you have is the light actually changing between exposures. When shooting panoramics the changing light is one of the most difficult things to deal with. The camera is much more sensitive to the changes in light than your eyes. I believe that even those thin clouds would have that effect on exposure and white balance as you see in your images. As long as the clouds move during the shoot that is. My guess is that you should be able to stitch those images into a nice panorama with invisible seams anyway. A software like Photoshop Elements 6 Photomerge function would probably do a good job with it.
You could try shoot the same set of images on a perfectly clear day to see if you have the same inconsitent result.

Lennart