Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 05:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Your next purchases ...

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get your take on the recent developments' (see Rumor's section) effects on your future plans for buying camera bodies (and or lenses). Although information still isn't 'official' I believe it has come to a point where my mind may be swayed to move from one direction to another with regards to purchases.

What I mean is, before the circus came to town. I was considering two possible paths:

1) Buy my dream Limited, the 31mm.
2) Buy the K20D

Time frame: Before December.

I'm on the straddling the fence on those two options because they are relatively close in price. The 31mm is as I said and we all know is Legen - wait for it - dary. But the K20D is such an excellent camera which would definitely be an upgrade to my K100Ds.

Now with my time frame, I probably could afford both of them, but during times like these frugality must be maintained.

But now the horizon has changed. The K7 seems within reach as well. Which im guessing at the time of the release would make it almost as expensive as my option 1 and 2 combined (at current prices).

This really makes is difficult now! Why? Because, for 1 the 31mm Limited is still something that I want, but if the features of the K7 warrants its price it's might be enough to make me throw frugality out the window!

Well that just my bit

I didn't really post this to ask for advice (though those who would want to give their advice would be greatly appreciated), as I said before I wanted to hear how
the recent developments has affected your future plans if it has at all?

Thanks and Godspeed!

04-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Since the only things I plan/care to buy are things they already made decades ago, their current/future production plans don't affect me at all.

If they come to their senses and release a digital ESII, I'll be interested. Otherwise nothing-for-me-thanks-just-looking until my K20D wears out.
04-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I'd get the 31 while the getting is good and wait awhile for the brand new stuff's price to settle down.
Oh yeah, might as well get the K20D too, awesome camera and the prices are right at the moment.
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
04-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Forum Member

If you've already got a camera body, don't rush to buy a new one. Instead, I think you should buy the lens, as it's more cost effective for long-term.

04-27-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I just ordered a 43 ltd, and am seriously considering picking up the 31 and 77 while I can still get them new at a decent price. The reason I got the 43 ltd was that I wanted a "fast fifty" that was built to last and would inspire my shooting. The 31 would make a great normal lens on APS-C but ouch, that price tag! I might get the F28/2.8 instead as it seems to perform well. And I have the M85/2 which is almost like the FA77 ltd without AF.

Along with the 43 ltd I ordered the 50-135 DA*. With all the good hype about it, with weathersealing, sdm, etc, and my lack of a decent mid tele AF zoom, I figured I couldn't go wrong with it. Wondering if I'll pick up the 16-50 DA* as well at some point, but I really like internal zooming, and not in a rush to fill that space. My Tokina 28-70 ATX Pro does pretty well (but only 28 at the wide end).

Now, my only debate is whether to wait for the new body announcement before buying any other lenses. I'm pretty sure I will upgrade to the new body (or the K20D if the new one doesn't work for me), since my K200D is definitely lacking for me in several areas (mainly viewfinder size, AF adjust, and ISO performance).

The one thing holding me back from picking up any of the other FA ltds (other than the price) is that in the future, I wonder if pentax will release weather-resistant LTDs. That would be awesome! Of course, maybe they would cost as much at ltds and DA* combined. I guess if I did buy the FA ltds now that they would hold their value quite well, so maybe I should just buy them!!
04-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

considering I have bought the FA 77 and 31mm limited lenses and I have access to a whole catalogue of Pentax lenses I really don't need to buy much more...so I'm just waiting for the K-7 or K1D and put my trusty K10D into semi-retirement.
04-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
1) Buy my dream Limited, the 31mm.
2) Buy the K20D
Notice the bolded text? That should itself answer your question.

If you had instead typed...
QuoteQuote:
1) Buy the 31mm Limited.
2) Buy the K20D I've been dreaming about.
... then your answer would again be there but in the opposite direction.

04-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Me? Convert the k100d to IR. Buy the DA* 50-135. More off camera flash gear. Maybe a grip for the k20d. A fisheye. Then keep an eye out for old lenses. That's it!

Well there are more lenses I lust for... All in good time.
04-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm planning on going on a gap year to Beijing for like 3 months, so I want to get a good set of lenses to take with me, which invloves having to get a job. I'm also gonna be shooting all film, so I'll nedd alot of money for development.

I have the M 50mm 1.7, and a 28mm 2.8. I have a 35-80mm and 80-200mm, but both are cheap and soft, I just want a set of good primes. I want a good portrait lens, so I'm gonna get the 77mm first. I'm also thinking about upgrading my 28mm to a 31mm, but that will probably be a bit too much money. I want a longer telephoto, so I'm gonna find a 135mm, I'm not sure which. I'm also thinking if 28mm is wide enough for some cityscapes. Once I've got the 77mm, and a load of money, I'll see what I can get for what price, and work out what I can afford.
04-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #10

I'm focusing on getting the lenses on my "wish list" before upgrading the body again. I'm shooting with my K10 and have the *istD as backup. In the last year I've manged to pick up the following

50-135
50 1.4
70 2.4
FA 35 (just ordered today )

I still have the 21 on my list but after that I'm not sure what else I can legitimatly justify to my wife.
04-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Awaiting the arrival of my FA31 limited, ordered from the states 2 days ago

This was my first lens for 8 months. I had planned on getting it long ago but was being held back with more than happy results with my DA 16-50.

Only thing missing for me is a macro lens... and I am not into macros yet, so I think I will be looking at another prime if anything in the future

Neil
04-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
I'm also thinking if 28mm is wide enough for some cityscapes
It's not. Great for a lot of things, including "some" cityscapes, but clear not wide enough for others.
04-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I WAS planning to buy the DA 10-17mm in May... but since Pentax Canada hiked up the prices to obscene levels I won't be buying it.

Pat
04-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

da 40 ltd
da* 55
and some studio lights
04-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
@eaglerapids and @FengyBoy
yeah I'm trying to force myself to lean towards your suggestions