Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

F****** K20d

Worked all day yesterday with no issues at all... Left it as is and never changed the memory card.

This morning, driving home, ice everywhere frozen in the giant steel wheels of farming sprinkler systems on the side of the highway mixed with the orange and red of the sunrise and green grass.. ... jump out of my car and run over to the sprinklers excited to catch something awesome...

No memory card?!?!

... took out the memory card that was in the camera while it told me, "No card in the camera", checked for anything lodged in the memory card slot, nothing. Put another memory card in... NO card in the camera?!?

Checked the pins, nothing bent. Took the battery out, put it back in.

No d*** card in the camera still??

well hells..
this sucks.

Tried 12 different SD cards. Nothing.

Pins look fine.

04-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I had a similar heart-stopping moment with the K200D - turned out to be a card gone bad. Card reader on the PC still recognized the card, could even format it. I wrote a few files to it, but poof! they were gone when I tried to read them back. K200D was a bit smarter than the PC in giving the "No Memory Card" error, knowing it was a bad card.

So before you blame the K20D, try another card...

EDIT: ^^^ Looks like you edited your post to say you tried 12 different cards. Never mind.
04-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
I had a similar heart-stopping moment with the K200D - turned out to be a card gone bad. Card reader on the PC still recognized the card, could even format it. I wrote a few files to it, but poof! they were gone when I tried to read them back. K200D was a bit smarter than the PC in giving the "No Memory Card" error, knowing it was a bad card.

So before you blame the K20D, try another card...

EDIT: ^^^ Looks like you edited your post to say you tried 12 different cards. Never mind.
Heh, yeah I've had the same issue that you are talking about. The software Data-Rescue-II for mac and PC usually always helped me out, sometimes depending on the curruption or damage there were damaged photos, but not too bad, always worked... so keep that in mind. But yeah, 12 different cards, I have all my old 64 and 128mb cheapo's stacked up and they're all not working.

Called pentax and he immediately said its the logic board in the camera and that the solder has had to of come loose. I'm more of a fix it myself guy, but it's under warranty and I'll have to send it in. Bah, true bummer. As tough as the pentax bodies are built, I'm now beginning to think I have had to send every DSLR pentax camera I have had besides my *istDS for weird and similar issues.

Thanks
04-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
hmmm thats a bad sign, i wonder how good the solder joints are on our cameras if they knew the problem right away.

04-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
hmmm thats a bad sign, i wonder how good the solder joints are on our cameras if they knew the problem right away.
Im guessing nothing has changed since the K10D https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/44936-k10d-no-memo...a-problem.html

Is it possible to custom order parts from pentax?

I have seen on other threads that people have been ordering parts and specifying part numbers... This isn't exactly about my camera because mine is under warranty, but I also have a K200D of my girlfriend's with a cracked info screen (the LCD on top of the camera), the plastic cover is fine, just the LCD is cracked and distorted because of a calculator landing on top of it, hit it just right I guess, shock damage.

I'm very experienced in self-repair. I have so many shoots lined up this week for senior high-school photos and I feel terrible putting them off. I depend on my K20d too much I suppose... Does anyone have a link to a guide of a k10/k20d repair/take-apart guide? I have no hesitation taking it apart, but IF there is anything or anyone to help me out, I'll wait a while for some replies. I'm insane, I know, it's how I am, ha.

Last edited by steve500; 04-27-2009 at 08:51 AM.
04-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
and... there's more . . . https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/55553-how-open-k10d.html
04-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve500 Quote

I'm very experienced in self-repair. I have so many shoots lined up this week for senior high-school photos and I feel terrible putting them off. I depend on my K20d too much I suppose... Does anyone have a link to a guide of a k10/k20d repair/take-apart guide? I have no hesitation taking it apart, but IF there is anything or anyone to help me out, I'll wait a while for some replies. I'm insane, I know, it's how I am, ha.
If you have shoots lined up, then I presume you are a working professional.
Why don't you use your back up equipment?
If the answer to that is you don't have back up equipment, my next question is how can you call yourself a professioanal?

04-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you have shoots lined up, then I presume you are a working professional.
Why don't you use your back up equipment?
If the answer to that is you don't have back up equipment, my next question is how can you call yourself a professioanal?
Then maybe I'm not a working professional, I don't care.. People love my work, but sometimes we break down, and sometimes our backups break down too. That isn't about that. Why bring it up? I'm looking for help in specific to getting my k20D repaired.
04-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you have shoots lined up, then I presume you are a working professional. Why don't you use your back up equipment?
Were you half-asleep when you wrote this? He didn't call himself a "working professional", you hung that title on him and then ridiculed him because you don't think it's applicable.
04-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Optigrab Quote
Were you half-asleep when you wrote this? He didn't call himself a "working professional", you hung that title on him and then ridiculed him because you don't think it's applicable.
He didn't NOT call himself a 'working professional'. I think the point Wheatfield was making is that if you are going to work for money, it is irresponsible not to have a backup.
This argument is taking the thread way off topic. Can we get back On Topic please?

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-27-2009 at 11:39 AM.
04-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve500 Quote

I'm looking for help in specific to getting my k20D repaired.
Send it to a repair shop.
And buy another camera.
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

cold and K20D not so great

the K20D have some weird behaviors. especially in cold weather .
is happened to me before that the camera did not read the card, also the camera will not recognize the lens aperture and will stuck on F/4 .

about the memory card, some computer stores specialize in saving data from disks and drives.
about the camera what worked for me before.
re charge the battery and put camera in room temperature for a few hours .

I know its very unscientific but it worked for me .
04-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys.

I'll ship it off to pentax tomorrow in Colorado and let you all know what happens.

I have a small crack in the housing from I have no idea what near the battery housing and I hope it does not interfere with the warranty. If warranty doesn't cover me, I can't imagine how much the repair is going to be if the solder points have broken on the main board, the main board has lots of soldered and non-unplug-able cables on it that would take a lot of service to replace.

So that's that. I'll send it in tomorrow.

Now, for the K200D... Does anyone know if it will be possible for me to order a new info (top b/w) info display for it?

-steve
04-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

just wanted to say first good luck
and second the K20D is an incredible camera... in extreme freezing condition most electronic devises have problems even the best of them, even my Ipod .

thats all I meant
04-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #15
Damn Brit

Strange that the K10 doesn't seem to have these problems in the cold. Not that I've heard anyway, in fact I've heard it outperforms other cameras in sub zero weather.