Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I just checked my D40x and found that Program Shift (camera set to program and I spin the command dial to change the shutter+aperture combo) adjusts both shutter speed and aperture when moving the frame to an area with a higher or lower exposure value. My guess would be the software adjusts both in proportional steps relative to the deviation of the original Program Shift setting selected compared to the full auto combo. My departed N80 had both front and back command wheels but I'd have to ask the person currently using it to check what Program Shift does on it.

I'd be surprised if the D700 doesn't offer Program Shift. The only telltale is the P symbol with the asterisk above it that appears in the viewfinder and on the LCD so maybe it's not obvious.

For me, the deal killer for buying an up-market Nikon was the lack of a green button. Sure, the mid-level and higher Nikons can meter and fire with the pre-AF lenses but I guess I don't see having to key in the lens I'm using as being convenient. My K200D is fantastic with the old lenses I bought back in college, the LensBaby I gave myself for Christmas, the bellows kit I like to tinker with.

So, anyway, if it pleases you, you may call me a Penkonian or Nikaxian.

05-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
I'd be surprised if the D700 doesn't offer Program Shift. The only telltale is the P symbol with the asterisk above it that appears in the viewfinder and on the LCD so maybe it's not obvious.

I feel like an idiot...I forgot how the dials on the Nikon are reversed of sorts from the pentax (im so used to using the front e-dial on the pentax as the main one), on my Nikon, I reveresed the dials so it be like the Pentax (front e-dial for S, rear/main for A, Nikon had it the other way around)..

so I tried it again, Rotated rear dial..on 'P' it aperture along w/ the shutter...