Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2007, 12:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K10D Books...your opinion please.

I joined this forum just a little while ago. I’m glad I did as this is a great Pentax only forum with friendly members. I own a K10D, lenses and accessories. I have been in photography for about 30 years or more. I was using the Spotmatic when it came out! With the advent of digital, I purchased the *istD when it became available, then the *ist DS and finally the great camera that is the K10D. The K10D has so many revolutionary new features that it is almost mind boggling. Pentax finally got the positive attention that they deserve.

None-the-less, I found the K10D User Manual a little ambiguous and the information sometimes leaning too much toward generalities or whole important sections condensed to one paragraph. If you have learned photography with Film SLRs, the K10D is a natural extension. However, if you started photography in this digital age, the new breed of DSLRs can be a little challenging. Now you are dealing with aperture, shutter speed, sensitivity, all having an important role in the final results. Having not found any reading on the K10D, I decided to write a book about it. While writing it, researching, contacting Pentax, and trying every function on my own K10D, I developed a good knowledge of the camera. I wouldn’t call myself an expert, as expert title is earned, not proclaimed.

My book, “Pentax K10D Everything thing you need to know…..and then some”, has been out for a few weeks, selling on Ebay and at this site k10dbook home . I received positive comments from users, and some criticism from people that did not buy the book.

Here’s what I would like to know from you the photographers and users of the K10D. What would you like to read in such a book? More “How-to” specific to the K10D? More photography techniques? Color pictures and illustrations? Size and format you prefer? Working book or reading book (Perfect bound or coil-bound)? More on Theory? White balance? Color space? More technical stuff? Everything you need to know….and then some? Let me know what you need to know.

Regards,
YB

04-16-2007, 05:13 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
but i think it's unnecessary, u can use the user manual.
Or buy a book about photograhp.
I want to buy a book about all things about pentax DSLR and lens, but there is no.
04-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

OK. I'll let you know. I just ordered the book today and am looking forward to reading it. Bluedog is right that the manual might be enough, but I believe you can't have too much information and a second point of view might clear up a few things. My K10D is my first serious digital but I was pretty good with 35mm and above, including doing my own darkroom work. I need to get proficient in the use of my K10D quickly since I'm already being asked to shoot family occasions like I always did before. I wasn't happy with my easter photos, but I was using an old really cheap 19mm Vivitar that produced way too much flare on the digital. I never was really a fan of that lens on the film cameras either. Now I have my new Sigma 17-70 and it looks pretty good so far. Of course, I have a confirmation to shoot in one week and very little time to prepare. I bet your book could help. (no, I don't expect to get it early enough).
In any case, on to your questions. Coil bound is best. Photo techniques using the various specific functions of the camera. White Balance and Color Space explanations with samples Definately illustrative color pictures. I personally love the technical stuff (ie: Ansel Adams and Fred Picker in B&W Darkroom stuff), but I think a lot of people will get lost reading it (no one on this list though).
I hope I'm not expecting too much from your book (I'll sign up on your web site for updates and interaction once you open it up)
Thanks for the effort (hope you make a few bucks on this)
Brian
04-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi YB. I don't own the K10 yet, so maybe I the last person who should stick his oar in, but it's never stopped me before. So here's my nickels worth.
I agree with calicojack in that it should be coil bound. Especially if it's small enough to stick in your camera bag. I wouldn't want to see general photography info, there are a billion books out with general photography info. From what I understand the K10D has some unique features and photography modes, I'd like to see (read about) them explored in detail, with the emphasis on real world examples. Ie. TAv mode does such and such, if you find youself in xyz situation it will help you to get a better ____ by doing thus and so. I would also like see a section on settings. For instance, it took me about a month of trial and error to come up with smooth natural looking colors and sharpness in the JPEGs from my DS. I use natural color, 0 saturation, +1 sharpness and -1 contrast. It would be nice to see a small section: "for punchy colors try this; for natural try this; best settings for B&W conversion" etc. If there had been a DS book with this stuff, it would have saved me a whole bunch of time.
Finally I'd like to see a good trouble shooting section. Every camera manual I've ever seen has one, and they all are poop.
BTW thank you for doing this, I realize you are doing it as a service, but I do hope you at least recoup your out of pocket expenses.

NaCl(good luck, and I hope my input helped)H2O

04-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #5

Hi Yvon!
I saw your 'please excuse our cyberdust' sign, but was wondering if you'd like to have someone to typesetting and graphic design for your book and website. I think I could help you give the book a modern, refined, professional feel. PM me if you wish to do so.
04-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi YB. I don't own the K10 yet, so maybe I the last person who should stick his oar in, but it's never stopped me before. So here's my nickels worth.
I agree with calicojack in that it should be coil bound. Especially if it's small enough to stick in your camera bag. I wouldn't want to see general photography info, there are a billion books out with general photography info. From what I understand the K10D has some unique features and photography modes, I'd like to see (read about) them explored in detail, with the emphasis on real world examples. Ie. TAv mode does such and such, if you find youself in xyz situation it will help you to get a better ____ by doing thus and so. I would also like see a section on settings. For instance, it took me about a month of trial and error to come up with smooth natural looking colors and sharpness in the JPEGs from my DS. I use natural color, 0 saturation, +1 sharpness and -1 contrast. It would be nice to see a small section: "for punchy colors try this; for natural try this; best settings for B&W conversion" etc. If there had been a DS book with this stuff, it would have saved me a whole bunch of time.
Finally I'd like to see a good trouble shooting section. Every camera manual I've ever seen has one, and they all are poop.
BTW thank you for doing this, I realize you are doing it as a service, but I do hope you at least recoup your out of pocket expenses.

NaCl(good luck, and I hope my input helped)H2O
That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. My book addresses most of what you brought up except, which is are very good suggestions; Trouble shooting and "for punchy colors try this; for natural try this; best settings for B&W conversion" etc. I do some of that in the book but I probably need to include more. My wife suggested, of all people, that I should include a book marker with that kind of information on both sides, that someone could bring on a shooting trek. Sort of like a cheatsheet but what I am not crazy about most cheatsheets outhere is that they are mostly touching upon technical stuff. People have their fill of technical. They just want to take pictures and they want to know how for specific scenes, etc. Good idea. I could include 3 book marks with different kind of photography type like "Portraits", Night photography, selective focusing, taking picture of children, etc.

Thank you for tthe input.
Yvon Bourque k10dbook home
04-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluedog Quote
but i think it's unnecessary, u can use the user manual.
Or buy a book about photograhp.
I want to buy a book about all things about pentax DSLR and lens, but there is no.
I do touch about all the lenses mount and how to use all of them succesfully on the K10d. I am not sure that there would be enough material to fill a book.

Not everyone has the ability to fully understand manuals and technical books. That is the reason the book has a lot of pictures and illustrations. I believe I took the Ambiguity out of the user manual.

Thank you for your constructive comments,

Yvon Bourque k10dbook home

04-17-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

1.) I would like to see your entire "table of contents" posted to your web pages, not just a 'sample' TOC. That way, potential purchasers will know exactly what to expect in the text. Book manufacturers quite commonly post the entire table of contents on their web sites. Need not be scans of the actual printed page. ASCII text is plenty good enough.

2.) Examples are quite useful and illustrative of the various modes. Such as, on your sample page that explains the different metering modes, it would be useful to me to take three images in rapid sequence, one in each metering mode. Then, follow the examples with a discussion on the relative merits of each mode in that specific setting. Instead of just explaining the different modes, which the OEM manual does, give some background on how the Pentax modes differ and what situations to use each mode...and also, in which situations to NOT use a particular mode.

This could border on a general theory photographic thesis, but when ties specifically to the K10D, will become valuable to their owners.

3.) Flash confused me greatly and a chapter on the 360 and 540 flash and its integration with the K10D would be useful (to me). Touch on things like the various modes, how the flashes work, how they work with the K10D, the various optional flash accessories, and 3rd party accessories, such as a Stofan. Again, examples are extremely worthwhile.

4.) My preference is for spiral or comb binding. Perfect binding doesn't lend itself well for "workbook" or "field" manuals.

5.) Lens discussions are not important (to me). That information is available elsewhere and when published with ink on paper, becomes dated quite quickly. Within six months or a year, there are new lenses and they will not be a part of your book.

6.) Consider an electronic PDF version of your book. This will allow more frequent updates and would (hopefully) be available for a lesser cost (as printing and binding costs are minimal). I'd probably spend ten bucks without a second thought for an electronic copy, but hesitate spending 30 bucks for something, sight unseen.

7.) A good idea, all in all. But, I'm less inclined to spend the asking cost without examining a copy first. Most photographic texts are available in either a local chain bookstore or in a photographic store for examination before purchase. (Then again, Victorville isn't all that far away from me (Palmdale), so this is probably not a factor in my particular case).

8.) If you are seeking a "beta" tester for any individual chapter, I'm available to review and comment.
04-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
1.) I would like to see your entire "table of contents" posted to your web pages, not just a 'sample' TOC. That way, potential purchasers will know exactly what to expect in the text. Book manufacturers quite commonly post the entire table of contents on their web sites. Need not be scans of the actual printed page. ASCII text is plenty good enough.

2.) Examples are quite useful and illustrative of the various modes. Such as, on your sample page that explains the different metering modes, it would be useful to me to take three images in rapid sequence, one in each metering mode. Then, follow the examples with a discussion on the relative merits of each mode in that specific setting. Instead of just explaining the different modes, which the OEM manual does, give some background on how the Pentax modes differ and what situations to use each mode...and also, in which situations to NOT use a particular mode.

This could border on a general theory photographic thesis, but when ties specifically to the K10D, will become valuable to their owners.

3.) Flash confused me greatly and a chapter on the 360 and 540 flash and its integration with the K10D would be useful (to me). Touch on things like the various modes, how the flashes work, how they work with the K10D, the various optional flash accessories, and 3rd party accessories, such as a Stofan. Again, examples are extremely worthwhile.

4.) My preference is for spiral or comb binding. Perfect binding doesn't lend itself well for "workbook" or "field" manuals.

5.) Lens discussions are not important (to me). That information is available elsewhere and when published with ink on paper, becomes dated quite quickly. Within six months or a year, there are new lenses and they will not be a part of your book.

6.) Consider an electronic PDF version of your book. This will allow more frequent updates and would (hopefully) be available for a lesser cost (as printing and binding costs are minimal). I'd probably spend ten bucks without a second thought for an electronic copy, but hesitate spending 30 bucks for something, sight unseen.

7.) A good idea, all in all. But, I'm less inclined to spend the asking cost without examining a copy first. Most photographic texts are available in either a local chain bookstore or in a photographic store for examination before purchase. (Then again, Victorville isn't all that far away from me (Palmdale), so this is probably not a factor in my particular case).

8.) If you are seeking a "beta" tester for any individual chapter, I'm available to review and comment.
Thank you for your constructive comments. I am noting everything for future issues. A PFD version will probably be available later on, although many members prefer having a book they can read anywhere and bring with them on photo treks. I am currently researching the risks of piracy especially on a global point of view.
04-18-2007, 01:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
volosong

I agree with you and I have made the Table of contents available on my site. k10dbook home
04-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #11

Hello, I recieved your book today and it looks good so far (just finished with chapter one )

However, there are a few typos/errors:

More or less consistent use of the word "JEPG", I'm sure you mean "JPEG".

Page 43: "double data rate 2 (2 meaning that data is sent on both the rising and falling edges of clock cycles)"
should read: "double data rate 2 ('double' meaning that data is sent on both the rising and falling edges of clock cycles)"
The "2" is short for "version 2" or "2nd generation".

One thing you may want to add:

Page 47: (when describing auto focus modes)
The shutter can only be released when the camera detects proper focus when in AF.S mode. It can be released at any time in AF.C or manual mode. You may also add a note of how this can be used to "auto focus" with manual lenses (focus trap method).
My apology if this is mentioned later on in the book.

Oh, and keep up the good work!
04-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kskjon Quote
Hello, I recieved your book today and it looks good so far (just finished with chapter one )

However, there are a few typos/errors:

More or less consistent use of the word "JEPG", I'm sure you mean "JPEG".

Page 43: "double data rate 2 (2 meaning that data is sent on both the rising and falling edges of clock cycles)"
should read: "double data rate 2 ('double' meaning that data is sent on both the rising and falling edges of clock cycles)"
The "2" is short for "version 2" or "2nd generation".

One thing you may want to add:

Page 47: (when describing auto focus modes)
The shutter can only be released when the camera detects proper focus when in AF.S mode. It can be released at any time in AF.C or manual mode. You may also add a note of how this can be used to "auto focus" with manual lenses (focus trap method).
My apology if this is mentioned later on in the book.

Oh, and keep up the good work!
Thank you for your comments. The demand for the book was so pressing that I did let some of the books get out without waining for the editor completing the complete editing of the book. I looked at my writting a thousand times, but you can't always edit your own stuff. The editing is completed and I suppose that all the typos are corrected now. I can send you or email you the pages you have discovered typos. Just let me know. As for the Autofocus, I do mention that there are modes or exceptions where it works.

Thank you very much for your comments. At the end of the day, I really want this book to fill the needs of most and the book to be everyone's book, not my book. Therefore, all constructive comments, additional material, ect will be incorporated in the upcoming editions .

k10dbook home

Yvon Bourque
04-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #13

I love it when I can find any manual available in with a spiral binding that can lay flat, so I add another vote for that.
04-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
I love it when I can find any manual available in with a spiral binding that can lay flat, so I add another vote for that.
Thank you for your comments. I did have some people prefering perfect bound book instead of spiral binding. So within a week or so, I will have the book in both binding methods and the purchasers will have the option, for the same price.

Thanks again,
Yvon Bourque
k10dbook home
04-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think that the previous posts have pretty much touched on the main issues. I would like to see a card (or two) that can be carried with the camera and covers primary functions and the like. As an example, I tend use one or two modes most of the time. When I need a different approach, I can't always totally remember how/why to reset. As an example, I carry a little card with shorthand instructions for using a manual lens because I don't do it that often. The trick here would be the determination of what goes on the cards.
Thanks for your efforts.