Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Weatherproofing Coming Through in Hawaii!

So I was in Honolulu a couple of weeks back. The weather wasn't the most perfect as it was a mix of sun, clouds and rain everyday we were there.

On the 2nd to last day, we decided to go to the top of this hill (forgot the name) that overlooked Waikiki and Diamond head to catch the sunset. As it turns out we weren't the only ones up there for this and it got to be a little crowd up there.

There was an especially annoying Sony DSLR shooter with his family there and would "hog" up the prime shots. There were a few kids with their lower end Canon SLRs too, but they weren't so bad.

This whole time, I had my K20D mounted on my tripod (with the DA* 50-135) shooting the wife and I. As the sun was about to set, in comes a dark cloud and the rain starts to pour! The other shooters book it for cover with their DSLRs under their shirts while the wife and I were happily posing, as the K20D kept on shooting in the down pour!

I just had the biggest grin on my face the whole time as the weather seal came through and we got great shots as there wasn't anyone around to get in the way. The only question I had was, why couldn't the rain come earlier?

04-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
emr

This post demands photographic evidence.
04-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree. Where are the photos?
04-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just came back from 3 1/2 weeks in China. 3 of which had continual rain.

Attached Images

04-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
Forum Member

Location: The 808 State: Hawaii. From Nikon to PENTAX to Canon to Pentax
QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
So I was in Honolulu a couple of weeks back. The weather wasn't the most perfect as it was a mix of sun, clouds and rain everyday we were there.

On the 2nd to last day, we decided to go to the top of this hill (forgot the name) that overlooked Waikiki and Diamond head to catch the sunset. As it turns out we weren't the only ones up there for this and it got to be a little crowd up there.

There was an especially annoying Sony DSLR shooter with his family there and would "hog" up the prime shots. There were a few kids with their lower end Canon SLRs too, but they weren't so bad.

This whole time, I had my K20D mounted on my tripod (with the DA* 50-135) shooting the wife and I. As the sun was about to set, in comes a dark cloud and the rain starts to pour! The other shooters book it for cover with their DSLRs under their shirts while the wife and I were happily posing, as the K20D kept on shooting in the down pour!

I just had the biggest grin on my face the whole time as the weather seal came through and we got great shots as there wasn't anyone around to get in the way. The only question I had was, why couldn't the rain come earlier?
Hope you enjoyed your stay in Oahu. The place your thinking of is Called Diamond Head Lookout!! Same situation but with my friends who shoot strictly canon(5d and XSI). I laughed at them while Im still shooting in the rain and we were doing some car photography!! Cant wait to see your pics.
04-29-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Going on holiday with a sealed pentax camera + lens is the best thing ever
04-29-2009, 02:20 AM   #7

I know I shouldn't but I can't avoid a little smirk whenever rain comes along and I see fellow photographers.

I remember one time I was In Linlithgow with friends taking pictures, it started raining heavily and we went for shelter. I saw a guy with a nikon running for cover towards us and he starts cleaning his D80 with is shirt.
My imediate thought was thats no way to treat a shirt...

04-29-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
Forum Member

Location: The 808 State: Hawaii. From Nikon to PENTAX to Canon to Pentax
QuoteOriginally posted by edumad Quote
I know I shouldn't but I can't avoid a little smirk whenever rain comes along and I see fellow photographers.

I remember one time I was In Linlithgow with friends taking pictures, it started raining heavily and we went for shelter. I saw a guy with a nikon running for cover towards us and he starts cleaning his D80 with is shirt.
My imediate thought was thats no way to treat a shirt...

Thanks for the good laugh especially the part about the shirt as a cleaner!!
04-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
nah

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iNVision ART Quote
Hope you enjoyed your stay in Oahu. The place your thinking of is Called Diamond Head Lookout!! Same situation but with my friends who shoot strictly canon(5d and XSI). I laughed at them while Im still shooting in the rain and we were doing some car photography!! Cant wait to see your pics.
Well, I didn't get a pic of the guys running, but that would have made for a funny shot. I was too busy smiling and smirking to pay attention to them. I'll post the pictures I did take when they did clear though! haha.
04-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #10

Had a similar experience last year. Was in Japan shooting snow monkeys.. Temp was just above freezing and it started to rain... The only ones left was myself and a D2x shooter with a 70-200mm. The rest with a huge assortment of very expensive camera's and lenses ran for the shelter.

Had a great time...

Cheers
Shang
06-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
nah

Original Poster
Sorry to revive an old thread, but something came up and totally forgot about this thread. I was looking through my iPhone the other day and found the pics I took.

You'll have to excuse the photo quality, it's definitely not a Pentax.

Last edited by nah; 06-18-2009 at 03:16 PM.
06-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Not a great pic, but thought I would test the weather resistance. Vivitar 28/2.8 auto wide angle. f11 at 1/180
Attached Images

06-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote

This is the main reason I went with the K20 over a Nikon. Thanks for the chuckle
06-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #14

I wish my k100d was weather proof

Last edited by catsman50; 06-22-2009 at 12:24 AM.
06-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by catsman50 Quote
I wish my k100d was weather proof
welllll, you'd still need a weather resistant lens (like the da* 50-135), otherwise water can get in through a lens join and eventually into the camera.

BUT, i've shot in some crazy weather, and even on the rough ocean (k10d and old/reliable/cheap vivitar zoom) being directly hit with waves, and not had a problem. not saying you should hold your k100d in the shower, but it's amazing what they can take.

check out this link for an example of what a k100d can go though (and some thoughts on cleaning up afterward):

babying your equipment - PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photo Forum