Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member
247nino's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 302
K20D firmware 1.03 - doesnt use SB for the 540 and 360 flash?

ok so this new 1.03 firmware doesnt use the spot beam on the pentax flashes. I noticed because I was at the club and it would be dark enough to the point where the spot beam would usually come on but instead I get the green hex in the VF and its in focus and this was while I was using my 12-24, so the AF is definitely faster with this firmware but I think do miss the spot beam for the super sharp accuracy.

anyone else?

04-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit MI, USA
Posts: 502
QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote
ok so this new 1.03 firmware doesnt use the spot beam on the pentax flashes. I noticed because I was at the club and it would be dark enough to the point where the spot beam would usually come on but instead I get the green hex in the VF and its in focus and this was while I was using my 12-24, so the AF is definitely faster with this firmware but I think do miss the spot beam for the super sharp accuracy.

anyone else?
OK what did you change on the camera? Check to make sure your not in AF.C, it won't work in that mode you have to be in AF.S. This has tricked me before and I think its whats happening here. I do have the new firmware but the Promaster 7500EDF, and the spot beam works in AF.S as before and not in AF.C as before. Now as far as your flash it could be different, but...
04-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member
247nino's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 302
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
OK what did you change on the camera? Check to make sure your not in AF.C, it won't work in that mode you have to be in AF.S. This has tricked me before and I think its whats happening here. I do have the new firmware but the Promaster 7500EDF, and the spot beam works in AF.S as before and not in AF.C as before. Now as far as your flash it could be different, but...
I have both the 540 and the 360 flash, the spot beam works on both flashes when used on my k10d but since upgrading firmware on the k20, the spot beam doesnt come on anymore in afs.

Last edited by 247nino; 04-27-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: clarification
04-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit MI, USA
Posts: 502
QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote
I have both the 540 and the 360 flash, the spot beam works on both flashes when used on my k10d but since upgrading firmware on the k20, the spot beam doesnt come on anymore in afs.
Sounds so far that you may be the first to find a bug in the new firmware. Hope others test and see with your flashes.

04-28-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member
-=JoN=-'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,000
hmm..used the sb feature on the 540 on the k20 w/ the new firmware this weekend..worked just fine..
will double check again later when i get home though
04-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 726
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Sounds so far that you may be the first to find a bug in the new firmware. Hope others test and see with your flashes.
Hmm...that's interesting. I hope this is just a coincidence.
I'm watching this thread, now since I haven't updated my firmware yet :ugh:
04-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member
247nino's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 302
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
hmm..used the sb feature on the 540 on the k20 w/ the new firmware this weekend..worked just fine..
will double check again later when i get home though
fail(me), I just tested my gear again... and it works now, I didnt do anything different either...

hmmmmm, will be at the club again this thursday, hoping for no bugs!

Last edited by 247nino; 04-28-2009 at 10:30 AM.
04-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 11
Still works over here.

I updated the firmware and its been working on my 540FGZ.

I remember it came on for this specific photo of my son:
Click here!

Thanks, Bob
www.robertcain.info
Q9300 8GB DDR3
ATI 4850, 750GB Local drive, 4TB of NAS storage
Bibble Pro 4.0, PhotoMatrix, PTGui
Pentax K20D, 16-50mm f2.8, LensBaby 3G, 12-24mm f4, 50mm f.14

07-28-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Posts: 266
does that apply for the metz 58?

will my metz 58 flash lose that red flash assist light when upgrading the firmware? anyone know?
07-28-2009, 02:01 AM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
Shouldn't matter which firmware... it's a feature of the flash - either it has it or it doesn't.
07-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 110
I immediately upgraded my K20 to 1.03 yesterday. Tried it out with both external flash (Quantaray 9000 Series) and the built-in. Beam worked on the Quantaray and the focus assist illumination from the built-in also worked.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
beam, camera, dslr, firmware, k20d firmware, photography, spot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted - Acquired: Flash 360/540 ot Metz 48/58 <300$ ledovskoy Sold Items 1 02-27-2010 04:33 PM
Bounce Flash w/540/360 mysterick Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 16 01-21-2008 06:08 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top