Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Taylor Quote
So what would you want in a pro DSLR from Pentax?

Ah, that elusive word again. What exactly is a "pro" camera (open question to anyone reading)? Is there something specific or special (some magic ingredient) required for this word to be applied? I've asked this at least a dozen times over the years and have never received a firm, consistent, answer.

Regardless, I consider myself a professional photographer, yet none of the cameras I've owned, expect perhaps the Mamiya (and I'm not even certain of that - perhaps you might know), were widely considered "pro" cameras (by the magazines and others). Instead, I buy whatever works for me (nothing less or more), and that becomes my camera (whatever others might call it).

As for myself, no such thing exists, any more than there are pro hammers and amateur hammers. There are hammers pros use (and that varies greatly), and ones they don't use, but I've never applied the words "pro" or "amateur" to either.

stewart

04-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #17

As I've said couple of times before, a digital back to fit on my MX bodies.
No Kidding.
If it were at a price that one could afford to ditch it with each new advance in the technology, so much the better.
All the rest is dross except to:
(a) those who have a working need for particular features and
(b) those who have not yet got a complete grasp on the knowledge and experience neccessary to operate a simpler machine.
"Pro" is the operator.
The acceptance of the concept of "Pro" equipment is just one further example of how human gullibility has been successfully manipulated for profit.
The fact that there is even a discussion in those terms indicates how completely brainwashed we are by the merchandising world.
'nuff sed.
04-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #18

I wanna camera with more megga picxselz that cn be a webb cam 2 use 4 myspace.

04-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
I often wonder what the profit margin is for N and C on their pro spec cameras. The sales volumes are magnitudes less than for their entry level DSLR's and their manufacturing costs are far higher.

Personally the quickest way to get me NOT to buy a Pentax pro model would be with an integrated grip. Too bulky and awkward.That's interesting, I wouldn't have bought my *istD without the grip, and wouldn't buy a K10D without one either as I find the camera too small. With the grip I find it just right. That said, I wouldn't want it any larger either.

Perhaps the only things that Pentax needs for pro spec are improved FPS and better AF. Oh yes and better RAW software. Nikon Capture NX is a really good tool. I'd love something similar for Pentax.[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]I'd agree there, I don't know whether many pros use their brand name Raw software anyway, they may use PS or C1 or something else. I do think that as a marketing thing the software should be better though.
I would still use the Pentax software occassionally though, recently I did a comparison of converting through Pentax software and Photoshop to see if there was a difference in exposure and colour. Camera manufacturers generally don't disclose how they make their raw files so from photoshop, it's really an educated guess in some ways.[/COLOR]
Thanks for the input.

04-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Phil, I know from my lurking and postings on Nikon forums that quite a few people use Nikon Capture NX for professional use. It is a very good image editing suite, but it isn't free, at $150 or so. I have used it and it is very powerful.. Control points allow for very fine adjustments.
04-19-2007, 02:37 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for that, I might see if I can find someone who has it.