Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2007, 05:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

A Pro DSLR from Pentax

So what would you want in a pro DSLR from Pentax? Do you feel the 645D is the way to go and forget about creating a APS-C style one (for higher MP reasons) and if a pro body was available, do you feel the lenses are up to it (not talking about sharpness, contrast etc here but more AF speeds etc)?

Personally I'm pleased they came out with the K10D first but I also think we've been waiting long enough. I wouldn't care what came first, APS-C as I feel for most situations 10MP is more than enough or 645D (but let me buy up cheap lenses first )

I think it must be an all in one unit or it wont be taken seriously i.e. no seperate battery pack). Put out a consumer priced body with the same sensor and processing gear and sort out any problems first.

I'd like to see faster buffer times, shooting speeds and better noise reduction.

I'd like the lenses AF to be faster and PLEASE bring back fixed aperture zooms.

And bring it out slightly AHEAD of the promised date!

04-16-2007, 05:49 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This thread may be worth checking

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/2871-pentax-wish-list.html

It is the wish list of features that many users would like to see in a K1D

Other then that i think the SDM lenses that are due out iminantly should be fast enough for any "pro" level system.
04-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

k1d will be probably something to expect in the year 2008 rather than 2007

645D would be great for studio shoots. However, I had seen Japanese photography magazines showing stunning landscape photographs using mamiya cameras. The colour and the details are just amazing. 645D would be heavy for sure - not sure how it would appeal to the majority of pentax users that usually prefer light and compact equipment ...
04-16-2007, 06:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Not wanting to make this into a lens post but I would also love Pentax to brand their "pro" lenses. I know generally that Canon "L" lenses are good, I know that Pentax "*" glass is great, and the limiteds are fantastic, but it takes a bit of work to find out about other lenses. This could be started at the same time as a Pro DSLR is brought out.

04-16-2007, 06:38 AM   #5

I'm a professional photographer, that is I make my money from photography.

For many years the MX was my camera of choice. It was not marketed as a "pro" camera, but an awful lot of news stringers and newspaper employees used it anyway.

The K10D is certainly a pro camera. Pros use it, so there you go!

For studio work, the 645D looks really attractive./

But remember, any camera used by a photographer to earn their living is a "Pro" camera. Even if it's a Holga!!

It's only hobbyists that obsess over camera brands. The rest of us are too busy trying to put food on the table!
04-16-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
Inactive Account

This thread may be worth checking

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/2871-pentax-wish-list.html

It is the wish list of features that many users would like to see in a K1D

Other then that i think the SDM lenses that are due out iminantly should be fast enough for any "pro" level system.
04-16-2007, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, if you insist;

this is an old well worn topic and frankly your 'wish list' is typically droll and pedestrian. Where is your imagination?

The all improved: K10^6dXIII(enhanced).

The camera of the future needs to be multi-powered; all for cheap. Say an inboard nuclear reactor for main power and then for the green folks a solar panel and a wind turbine as back-up. An extra accessory here would be electricity from sea-water--drop a couple of electrodes in a glass of salty water and POW-instant spark! And the side effect would be desalination to drinking water standards! There is a similar power set-up for our new 650 gigawatt-second external flash--fully adjustable from simple tan through crispy-critter to atomic dust.

Buffer-smuffer. The future picto-capture-box will be multi-radio capable. A microwave set-up for immediate frame dumping to any nearby computer or photo kiosk-and they will be everywhere. A long wave rig for remote locations and underwater--yep, its waterproof to five mile depth at least. You just specify the end location with the handy fold-away keyboard and pop-up flat screen monitor panel (available up to billboard dimensions) and the photos get where they need to be right from the camera (we use the new trans-warp multi sampling hyper internet transfer protocol, 3-d imaging so real actual people have been teleported from continent to continent in the blink of an eye-there is no truth in the rumor that they arrive severely aged or dead by the process) .

Noise, well now that you mention it, noise will be better. Each image will have inboard audio. You can select from any of your pirated music tracks, an actual capture of the conversations ongoing when the shot is being composed and captured or a computer voice spewing all the particulars of the exposure---all delivered along with the image to the recipient of your choice.

Frame speed will be finger pressure dependent: a light touch for a single snap, mash it good for a movie quality stream of images at 100MP resolution or greater.

If you can see it (or imagine it) we've go the lens to go along. Zero to 4000mm, insta-zoom with insta-auto aperture and insta-auto focus. Constant f/0.1 at all focal lengths. All coupled to our new eye tracker device (patent pending). This sucker reads small eye movements and keeps the lens locked on what ever you can see. Some small bugs need to be ironed out and that rumor of spine-ripping injury due to rapid eye movement and blinking are purely speculation and internet gossip.

Lets talk portability. This little gem self folds into an object the size of a quarter dollar. As soon as we trim some of it's 3/4 ton weight it will be pocket portable. Oh, and that folding mechanism--there is no truth to the other rumor that the gravitation field of the planet is adversely effected when the camera folds up like a small black-hole collapsing.

Anticipated deliver date is just short of the-end-of-time, but we plan on being out ahead of schedule.

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Taylor Quote
So what would you want in a pro DSLR from Pentax? Do you feel the 645D is the way to go and forget about creating a APS-C style one (for higher MP reasons) and if a pro body was available, do you feel the lenses are up to it (not talking about sharpness, contrast etc here but more AF speeds etc)?

Personally I'm pleased they came out with the K10D first but I also think we've been waiting long enough. I wouldn't care what came first, APS-C as I feel for most situations 10MP is more than enough or 645D (but let me buy up cheap lenses first )

I think it must be an all in one unit or it wont be taken seriously i.e. no seperate battery pack). Put out a consumer priced body with the same sensor and processing gear and sort out any problems first.

I'd like to see faster buffer times, shooting speeds and better noise reduction.

04-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Well, if you insist;

this is an old well worn topic and frankly your 'wish list' is typically droll and pedestrian. Where is your imagination?

The all improved: K10^6dXIII(enhanced).

The camera of the future needs to be multi-powered; all for cheap. Say an inboard nuclear reactor for main power and then for the green folks a solar panel and a wind turbine as back-up. An extra accessory here would be electricity from sea-water--drop a couple of electrodes in a glass of salty water and POW-instant spark! And the side effect would be desalination to drinking water standards! There is a similar power set-up for our new 650 gigawatt-second external flash--fully adjustable from simple tan through crispy-critter to atomic dust.

Buffer-smuffer. The future picto-capture-box will be multi-radio capable. A microwave set-up for immediate frame dumping to any nearby computer or photo kiosk-and they will be everywhere. A long wave rig for remote locations and underwater--yep, its waterproof to five mile depth at least. You just specify the end location with the handy fold-away keyboard and pop-up flat screen monitor panel (available up to billboard dimensions) and the photos get where they need to be right from the camera (we use the new trans-warp multi sampling hyper internet transfer protocol, 3-d imaging so real actual people have been teleported from continent to continent in the blink of an eye-there is no truth in the rumor that they arrive severely aged or dead by the process) .

Noise, well now that you mention it, noise will be better. Each image will have inboard audio. You can select from any of your pirated music tracks, an actual capture of the conversations ongoing when the shot is being composed and captured or a computer voice spewing all the particulars of the exposure---all delivered along with the image to the recipient of your choice.

Frame speed will be finger pressure dependent: a light touch for a single snap, mash it good for a movie quality stream of images at 100MP resolution or greater.

If you can see it (or imagine it) we've go the lens to go along. Zero to 4000mm, insta-zoom with insta-auto aperture and insta-auto focus. Constant f/0.1 at all focal lengths. All coupled to our new eye tracker device (patent pending). This sucker reads small eye movements and keeps the lens locked on what ever you can see. Some small bugs need to be ironed out and that rumor of spine-ripping injury due to rapid eye movement and blinking are purely speculation and internet gossip.

Lets talk portability. This little gem self folds into an object the size of a quarter dollar. As soon as we trim some of it's 3/4 ton weight it will be pocket portable. Oh, and that folding mechanism--there is no truth to the other rumor that the gravitation field of the planet is adversely effected when the camera folds up like a small black-hole collapsing.

Anticipated deliver date is just short of the-end-of-time, but we plan on being out ahead of schedule.
LOL!! Thanks, you made my day!
04-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, I understand there are Pros using the K10D, and it serves their purpose. That's great but it is not a pro spec camera, is not marketed as such and until Pentax brings out something marketed as such, they will not be taken seriously in the realm of pro photography by the general majority of pros. This is proven by things such as leaving off the PC socket which even my 'D has.

In saying this I am not saying you can't accomplish most or all of your pro work on one - I understand this, and as I said in another thread, I will use Pentax until I need a function a Canon, Nikon or a Holga has!

What I am after in this thread is reasons why Pentax should choose the 645 direction over the APS-C sized direction or vice versa, and what should be put into that camera.

The wish list is something which applies to all Pentax cameras and all users. I'm looking for practical things Pros would be after.
04-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The wish list is something which applies to all Pentax cameras and all users. I'm looking for practical things Pros would be after.
Practical things all pros desire: paying customers. Put a few in a box, any size and ship'em to me, I'll start snapping!
04-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Practical things all pros desire: paying customers. Put a few in a box, any size and ship'em to me, I'll start snapping!
This pretty much sums up how pros think.

Phil, Dana already mentioned how the MX still ended up as a pro cam by photojournalists even though it wasn't marketed as such.

It really depends on you how you use the camera. Here in my country, the 300D still sees professional use EVEN TODAY. Yes, that silver and plastic affair is used professionally still.

On the other hand, I've been with some Japanese tourists who use their 1Ds's for snapshots.

If it puts money on the table, then it's a professional cam, be it Pentax, Olympus, Canon, Sony, Nikon, Minolta, Contax, Mamiya, Hasselblad, or even Aiptek (kudos to people who know this brand! ). Well, at least to me, that's how I'd define a pro cam.

Just remember that the great photographers of the past didn't even have access to Photoshop and 3 FPS shutter speeds back then. And they still got paid for their photos.
04-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
even Aiptek (kudos to people who know this brand! ).
Oh, dear. My former supervisor refers to them as kraptek, and had the nerve to yell at me after he blew my sale (they actually make okay helmet cams, because you are just as likely to destroy them while using as you are to get decent pictures/video). Down with Aiptek!
04-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I understand you can use basically anything for Pro photography, I'm currently completing a science degree in scientific photography and I shoot 8x10, 4x5, digital, 35mm or anything else that works, actually at the moment I'm using the electron microscope for some imagery so in case I haven't made myself clear, I understand it doesn't matter what you are using to make an image.

Try to think of it from the manufacturers point of view. If you were put in charge of promoting the K10D, or any relatively recent cameras from Pentax and you went ahead and promoted it as a fully fledged proffessional DSLR body, you'd be stopped pretty quick IMO. Partly because it isn't, and partly because they want to use that line when they do bring out the pro body.

So, a "pro spec" body has certain features which may not be available on your camera. What do you feel should be added, and what do you feel might be worth getting rid of? i.e. automatic functions? etc.

I didn't put this post up to put Pentax down, or to put Pros using Pentax down. I simply wanted to find out others thoughts. Not enter into a discussion of why you think any camera can be a pro body.
04-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My Dream Camera..

A Camera that comes with a 10,000,000 Dollar "Nike" Ad Campaign Contract and a Five Year Contract with American "Vogue"..That should do it. Oh yeah and it has to take "PITCHERS"...
04-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I often wonder what the profit margin is for N and C on their pro spec cameras. The sales volumes are magnitudes less than for their entry level DSLR's and their manufacturing costs are far higher.

Personally the quickest way to get me NOT to buy a Pentax pro model would be with an integrated grip. Too bulky and awkward.

Perhaps the only things that Pentax needs for pro spec are improved FPS and better AF. Oh yes and better RAW software. Nikon Capture NX is a really good tool. I'd love something similar for Pentax.