Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K10D on a cloudy day....

around 6:00 p.m. Does anyone else have trouble with the K10 needing an excessive amount of light in these types of situations? I had to kick my ISO up to 800, sometimes 1600, just to get a good exposure @ f5.6, ss around the 250/350 range. It didn't really matter which end of the lens I was, except of course at the shorter end, I could get f4. Seems like I shouldn't HAVE to go that high on f-stops OR ISO. Am I missing something, or is it the camera?

Thanks!

04-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

why such a high shutter speed?
04-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At that time in the evening you'd have to expect to have ISO above 800 to capture anything handheld. But yeah, why do you need such a fast shutter speed anyway?

Usually shooting at that time in the evening, I'm looking for more static shots or long exposures to depict dynamic movement - so I can afford a low ISO...
04-28-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
why such a high shutter speed?
action shots

04-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #5

Sounds perfectly normal for a cloudy day.
04-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The camera make is irrelevant - exposure is exposure - use any other cam in same situation (with similar lens) and it will give you similar exposure readings.

Dyl
04-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
so the answer is to get a faster lens!

04-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Why on Earth would it be the camera?

It's just probably alot darker than you think.
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for answering my question.

Now, I am hearing I need a faster lens. The issue is the fact that 1.) I need a long lens because I am shooting sports, and 2.) I shouldn't HAVE to have a faster lens. Shouldn't 5.6 be fast enough to shoot outside in the light?? I guess that was my issue. It seems like 5.6 is plenty fast to handle outdoor stuff, even in the evening.
04-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by strictlypentax Quote
Thanks for answering my question.

Now, I am hearing I need a faster lens. The issue is the fact that 1.) I need a long lens because I am shooting sports, and 2.) I shouldn't HAVE to have a faster lens. Shouldn't 5.6 be fast enough to shoot outside in the light?? I guess that was my issue. It seems like 5.6 is plenty fast to handle outdoor stuff, even in the evening.
At 6:00 on a cloudy day, yea I could see the camera requiring a faster lens or a high ISO to get the shutter speeds you desire.

We had some of the worst flooding today here in Houston since the hurricane and I was at home testing a used old MF lens set to f/5.

It to did not want to go with high shutter speeds in AV mode.

It was probably darker than your senerio and I too thought there was plenty of light to have a faster shutter speed.

I was able to achieve 1/125 @ ISO 800 using f/5 shooting the bright but cloudy sky.

Everything else I shot(ducks in the pond) was way lower. Thank goodness for SR. The lens is a 100-300 Vivitar I bought to shoot sports and wildlife. This lens will work great in sunlight and so-so in cloudy situations.

If you can afford it, get a faster lens.
04-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
StrictlyPentax, as I read you, I think you are placing your expectations far too high.. Evening light, cloudy , action shots etc etc and you say your 5.6 is all you should have to open the lens to. And then suggest, whilst using faster speed necessary for the action, suggest this ISO should not be so high???
Its not the camera, its the thinking of the operator is the problem in the case, as I see it.
No camera would be any different, given all the circumstances you describe.
Lower your expectations and your problem will be solved.
04-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
If the shots look correctly exposed, then I would say that the camera is doing it's job correctly.

If you are unconvinced, buy or borrow an incident light meter to compare. Shoot manually if you need to.

Paul
04-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

what sort of action shots were u trying to take? and @ what focal length...

just too many variables...
04-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by strictlypentax Quote
It is - *if* you raise ISO to compensate. f/5.6 is fine in broad daylight at low ISO. It's not very good when light gets low, even outdoors.

Google the term "sunny 16" and see if you can find a chart listing the equivalents for different types of light. You'll see typical figures of f/4 for that kind of light. Meaning, at f/4, you would expect shutter speeds of 1/ISO. So in order to get a a good exposure at 1/350", you'd need ISO 350 at f/4 - or ISO 750 at f/5.6. That's pretty much completely in line with what you are seeing.

Look at this way: they make 70-200/2.8 lenses for a reason, and it's not for indoor use. Look on the sidelines at any professional sporting event, and you'll see the telltale big long lenses everywhere - that's because pro sports shooters know that f/5.6 just *isn't* good enough for shooting sports in anything but bright sunlight.
04-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to those who have answered my questions and tried to be helpful. I apologize for having offended some by my lack of knowledge or "expectations". It was in no way my intention to cause you any kind of offense. I appreciate those who are here to help me along. This is certainly a new aspect of shooting for me, so I am glad to have the ideas and suggestions. I will not be purchasing a faster lens due to the expense, but thank you for pointing out that this is my best option.