of course since i work for these guys this is what i reccommend
5.6 inch
ikancorp.com: V5600 5.6" HD TFT LCD Monitor
17 inch
ikancorp.com: V17 17" High Definition TFT LCD Monitor
8 inch
ikancorp.com: V8000HDMI 8" High Definition TFT LCD Monitor

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I am considering combining the K-7 with a field monitor like the DP1 from SmallHD
SmallHD.com - 8.9" High Definition - the DP1.

This is a 9" 720p monitor weighting ~800g. It should be hot-shoe mountable with the accesories coming out for the DP1. It connects to K-7 via its HDMI port. The monitor is wider than the K-7 by 50mm on each side.

This should allow for much better control of manual focus and composition than using the screen. In the studio.

Does anybody know if the new grip for K-7 (D-BG4) has a power outlet to connect the screen to?

Does the hot shoe supply power supporting a constant 10W (this is as much as the DP1 draws)?

Should I mount using a bracket to tripod socket rather than the hot shoe?

Is there an alternative to the DP1, maybe a smaller 720p screen?

Does anybody have experience with this combo (or any field monitor ...)?

04-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
of course since i work for these guys this is what i reccommend [...] ikancorp.com
The 8" is disappointing with only 480p.

The 5.6" looks very interesting. Only a bit larger than the camera and 600p resolution. Thanks for pointing this option out.

Since you work for these guys, let me ask a question: If a camera sports a 3" 480p screen, why can't a field monitor be 6" 1080p?
04-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #18

The 5.6" looks very interesting. Only a bit larger than the camera and 600p resolution. Thanks for pointing this option out.

Since you work for these guys, let me ask a question: If a camera sports a 3" 480p screen, why can't a field monitor be 6" 1080p?
Probably becuase the market is so small only you are in it. It's like putting 5.1 audio in the headphone. Sure you can make it work, but the field environment is so bad you won't be able to tell the difference.
04-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #19

6" 1080p

the main problem is companies like ours do not actually make the LCD display panels built into our monitors and we are at the mercy of companies like Toshiba, Hitachi and others who actually design manufacture and sell the panels used in our monitors and others. they decide what the market desires in terms of resolution and size. There may be a few at the size you want with a full 1080 resolution(I don't know of any), but its cost would probably put most buyers off. what we buy for our monitors are in the low thousands while they would rather design for dell or some other consumer electronics manufacturer who will buy tens if not hundreds of thousands.

04-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
others who actually design manufacture and sell the panels
Ok, so it is all about market. We have 480p monitors now (and you even have a 5.6" 600p). So maybe, 5" 720p monitors aren't far anymore.

DVD players, portable TV, and now DSLR field monitors may create enough market for them. Would be great to see one. IF K-7 outputs at better than 480p (5Dmkii doesn't ...).
04-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #21

5dmkII output

the 5dmkII outputs 480i with a menu surround only when recording. it outputs a 1080i with menu during live view and 1080i full screen when reviewing depending on the review mode

Ok, so it is all about market. We have 480p monitors now (and you even have a 5.6" 600p). So maybe, 5" 720p monitors aren't far anymore.

DVD players, portable TV, and now DSLR field monitors may create enough market for them. Would be great to see one. IF K-7 outputs at better than 480p (5Dmkii doesn't ...).
05-05-2009, 04:49 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Today, May 5

Just a reminder,

today, May 5, is the only day you can order the DP1 field monitor.

Regular sales starts after all orders today have been shipped, only.

Personally, I skip today and wait for K-7 final specs and tests. Just wanted to share the info, though.
01-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

What I'd like most is this, a device like the epson p-7000 multimedia storage viewer with an added HDMI input and a rechargable battery. That would make it into a unit like this IKAN or the DP1, but better because it is a combined storage AND player unit, and one that could easily be mounted on a hotshoe (but powered by the battery) and connected via HDMI cable. I'd buy that tomorrow.