Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello Ben,

Thank you for sharing this method!!

I am not sure is it the same thing if you do it using 'Filter-Other-Offset' and moving the layer by 1 pixel (for example one layer to the right and one downway) . You changed the size of the layer ... maybe I am lost, but still I see good results.

04-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
OK Ben,

HOW ITS DONE:

Step 1:

Please let us know

Larry
Yes, please. Pretty please.
Do you actually have the camera sensor shift, or is this all in Photoshop? Sorry if that question sounded stupid...

Also, can I do this in Elements, or do I need 'Big Photoshop'?
04-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Explanation..

QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
Yes, please. Pretty please.
Do you actually have the camera sensor shift, or is this all in Photoshop? Sorry if that question sounded stupid...

Also, can I do this in Elements, or do I need 'Big Photoshop'?
Just looked through all of my posts. It is explained in 2/3 parts. No?..It is done in PS CS2...
04-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just looked through all of my posts. It is explained in 2/3 parts. No?..It is done in PS CS2...
Sorry, I'll look over the thread again. I posted that after a long night of homework...

04-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #35
Veteran Member

When you layer three images with soft light what opacity and fill %ages have you found acceptable. Alternately, after three images, sharpening, etc, do you brighten as an individual step? Thank you.
04-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Is everybody who is asking questions also rolling up their sleeves and experimenting with this?

From the camera:

After experimenting:
04-22-2007, 03:59 AM   #37
Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Is everybody who is asking questions also rolling up their sleeves and experimenting with this?

From the camera:

After experimenting:
I'm getting results pretty much like yours. Dunno what I'm supposed to see, but I'm not seeing 30Mpix or anything close to it.

04-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #38

Please Benjikan, would you be so kind as to give us more detail on your technique? Apparently nobody here seem to understand what you do, and we can't achieve a good result with what we THINK you do.

If you want to present a new technique, then please do it well and give clear instructions, otherwise it's not useful at all.
04-28-2007, 05:08 AM   #39
Inactive Account

Ditto, I would love a clear, concise step-by-step outline of your technique. It sounds great and would be very useful to us a little further back on the path.

- Andrew
04-28-2007, 05:51 AM   #40

Ben,

Are you enlarging and shrinking the images by a pixel to get the shift, or are you moving the same size image left or right to get the shift?

Tom
04-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shrinking one and enlarging the other

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
Ben,

Are you enlarging and shrinking the images by a pixel to get the shift, or are you moving the same size image left or right to get the shift?

Tom
I am shrinking one and enlarging the other by 1 pixel...

Ben
04-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A little more info

The pic you posted is great.
Can you give a more in depth description of the technique.
I played with one of my images with interesting results but I want to be sure I'm doing it right. Especially the microscopic shifting. Whe I tried it I got a very contrasty image.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
joe
04-29-2007, 02:26 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
USM after the fact

QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
The pic you posted is great.
Can you give a more in depth description of the technique.
I played with one of my images with interesting results but I want to be sure I'm doing it right. Especially the microscopic shifting. Whe I tried it I got a very contrasty image.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
joe

Please understand that this is a work in progress for me as well. I generally shift by "1" pixel and in doing so the image will appear ever so slightly out of focus or out of phase. What I do to compensate for this is to USM afterwards in PS to varying degrees. The numbers that seem to work for me in the final pre-press stage for the K10D is the following. From 0.3 to 0.6 pixels at 120 to 300 percent as well as 30-60 pixels at 5 to 15 percent. This will not completely offset the result but will appear more "3D" when printed. Again, as many have suggested, it is a "2D" image and the final result is obviously that. But the perceived result can be pleasing if that is what you like. If you don't want to use this idea, you may wish to try one of the USM methods I have discussed earlier on this forum.

Ben
04-29-2007, 02:32 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Compensate

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
When you layer three images with soft light what opacity and fill %ages have you found acceptable. Alternately, after three images, sharpening, etc, do you brighten as an individual step? Thank you.
Thanks for reminding me. Please play with the "opacity" and "fill" sliders to garner the effect you are after. After that, I go in to "Shadow-Highlight" and compensate for the increase in contrast to bring out more of the shadow detail and reduce the highlights.

Ben
04-29-2007, 06:08 AM   #45

I tried it by shifting one pixel left and one right using the same size image and I liked the results too.

I forgot that is at 300 pixels/inch in CS2.

Tom