Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #46

Ok, I'm trying this and my results are getting better with every detail you add. Many thanks, Ben!

If one layer is desaturated, should it be the bottom, middle, or top layer when blending?
Thanks again,
Will

04-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Thanks for reminding me. Please play with the "opacity" and "fill" sliders to garner the effect you are after. After that, I go in to "Shadow-Highlight" and compensate for the increase in contrast to bring out more of the shadow detail and reduce the highlights.

Ben
By the way, do you flatten before doing a shadow/highlights? Thanks again!
04-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good Question

QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
By the way, do you flatten before doing a shadow/highlights? Thanks again!
You can do that for each layer and save your file as a three layer 16 bit image or flatten. To benefit from the larger file, I guess you might "S&H" for each layer, which I often do.
04-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Honestly, I don't really consider it..

QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
Ok, I'm trying this and my results are getting better with every detail you add. Many thanks, Ben!

If one layer is desaturated, should it be the bottom, middle, or top layer when blending?
Thanks again,
Will
You know, I haven't really noticed. I also often have just one B&W layer and the other two, one being the original and the other duplicate in colour. Play around with it. The colour layer the more saturated it will be. Don't forget the "Fill & Opacity Sliders". Mine usually end up about 60-80 for each...

04-29-2007, 04:47 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I've used various permutations while experimenting with this method over the past few days. I know there must be something to it because someone who has no idea that I'm messing around with this has noticed a difference.

Comment on one of my recent photoblog posts in which the method was applied:

"I really like the effect you got on your shots the past few days Mike; what did you do?"
04-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bravo...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I've used various permutations while experimenting with this method over the past few days. I know there must be something to it because someone who has no idea that I'm messing around with this has noticed a difference.

Comment on one of my recent photoblog posts in which the method was applied:

"I really like the effect you got on your shots the past few days Mike; what did you do?"
I am pleased that you are finding this approach helpful in adding to the impact of your images.

Best Wishes
Ben
09-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Bumping this thread because of its possible relevance to the current "sensor glide" rumours.
04-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Was I ahead of the curve or what? Looks like Pentax used my idea...sort of.

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 05:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Bumping this thread because of its possible relevance to the current "sensor glide" rumours.
No kidding....

Pixel Shift Idea. Was I ahead of the Curve by 8 years or so?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

04-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #54
Site Supporter

I don't have this reference but have an indirect reference to it, describing pseudo interlacing to a shielded array, to reduce pitch of the physical pixels.
Theuwissen, A.J.
"Solid-State Imaging with Charge-Coupled Devices" 1995