Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

My K10D died, did it really die?

What an irony, this is my first post.

I've had the camera brand new for less than a week and took only 124 photos. Earlier today I was going to do some more testing photos but when I started pressing the shutter button and I was getting black pictures at first, then it even stopped responding. No indicator on the big display, no nothing. The only indicator is that when it's turned on and I got the "no battery" icon flashing on the mini display next to the shutter button. I have two batteries, the 2nd one was not even opened and used. Both batteires give me the same result. it is not a faulty battery problem. When I take a smell around the camera to detrmine whether something got burnt and it does smell strange. But how can something like this get burnt or maybe it smells, bacause the camera is new? I don't know.

Any tips or advices?

04-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are both batteries properly charged? Remember that new batteries (rechargeables) do not come charged, except or Eneloops I guess.
04-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Recharge the battery before you make a snap judgement. New batteries do not necessarily come charged and ready to use.
If it still doesn't work, take it back for an exchange or refund if they can't exchange it.
04-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Supposedly the batteries are charged, or so the charger indicates -- the light on it goes off when the batteries are charged.

Does this thing have a soft reset or something like that? I'm skeptical it's a battery issue since seconds before it stopped responding, it behaved strange, asking me to enter a new date when I couldn't even interact with the navigation buttons. Then it went off.

04-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The only soft reset I know about is leaving the battery out for 12 hours or so.
If the batteries are charged (you weren't clear on this originally), then just get the thing replaced.
You've only had it for a week, it should be an OTC replacement.
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
I'm skeptical it's a battery issue since seconds before it stopped responding, it behaved strange, asking me to enter a new date when I couldn't even interact with the navigation buttons.
The new date screen pops up when the clock and settings memory is lost, which only happens normally when an internal watch battery fails after several years. It's way too soon for that, and it sounds like something more serious is wrong. I'd return it.
01-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #7

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm experiencing the same problem with a K20D and for future reference, its best to stick to a thread on the same topic.

Camera was working fine, was taking photos of my animals when it just switched off, displaying only a flashing battery icon on the top LCD. First thought was obviously flat battery, but as my Wife was standing right next to me with her K10D, we swapped batteries. Again, the K10D displayed a flashing battery (empty) and the K10D fired up straight away showing a full battery.

I've since tried changing lenses, swapping out SD cards, cleaning the battery contacts both on the battery and in the camera, leaving the battery and card out for over a week, charging both batteries fully, and the list goes on.

I have contacted a few repair agents within Australia and all of the techs are stumped, saying that I should just send it in.

Anybody have any ideas?

01-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your camera has a circuit that senses battery voltage. If that circuit fails the camera will show the problem you describe.
01-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #9

Thanks for the reply, looks like I'll be sending it in.
01-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Forum Member

I've had a similar problem with my K10D. The charger indicated that the battery was full, but camera didn't turn on. Another battery worked perfectly, but I'm still not sure if it was battery or camera issue.
01-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jüri Quote
I've had a similar problem with my K10D. The charger indicated that the battery was full, but camera didn't turn on. Another battery worked perfectly, but I'm still not sure if it was battery or camera issue.
Batteries do go bad. If your camera works fine with one battery and not the other, mark the bad battery somehow, so that you won't use it any more, and when you get around to it, take it to a recycle place. Sounds like you have a failed battery. New clone batteries for a K10D are cheap on ebay.