Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #1

K100D - I like it so much it's almost scary

Hello good folks,

I read often and post little I've only had this camera for about a month and I'm still just awed with it. I fought a bloody Panasonic FZ30 for a darn year before I finally quit and dumped it. It never did a darn thing correctly in it's own auto mode. I keep waiting for the "now you screwed up" moment to come with the K100D and it just has not happened.

I'm so blown away by what this camera will do all by itself, I'm almost afraid to change anything. I selected a few general custom options, but haven't fine-tuned any color correction, changed the metering mode or fiddled in any way. Heck, I shoot 3/4 of the time in "auto scene". This is a do-nothing shot, but it's a great example of the range of tones in all the cars and the clarity to the far end of the shot, with the kit lens. These colors look perfect to me, but I have a very strong correction in my glasses. What do you think? Is it as true and accurate as I think it is??! I am so happy with this camera.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
10-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Debbie,
It's great to see you're enjoying your new camera. The shot looks good to me except for the Reds, mainly the red car, seems to have bled or over saturated a bit. Do you have the camera set on bright mode or Natural mode? If it's on bright mode, you might want to change it to natural mode and the reds won't be so saturated. Other than that, the colors are great.
Cheers.
10-29-2006, 09:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Scott,

Enjoying barely describes it. Yes, I've read a great deal about switching to the natural mode and it seems to be the recommended thing to do. However I'm so darn pleased to be getting this quality that I'm being a wimp about going out and doing a shoot in natural. Which is so DUMB, I know I guess I'll force myself to try it out on stuff I don't care about.

I had noticed two things. That one red car was weirdly red, and then the whole shot unsharpened slightly when I downsized it to post here. I really appreicate your comments. I'll go natural here soon...(be afraid - LOL)

Debbie
10-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Izzy Quote
I had noticed two things. That one red car was weirdly red, and then the whole shot unsharpened slightly when I downsized it to post here. I really appreicate your comments. I'll go natural here soon...(be afraid - LOL)
After downsizing you always must sharpen your photo.

10-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
enjoying the K100D

Glad you are getting along so well with the camera. A good dslr beats a good prosumer almost every time. There is a quality difference that you get with that big sensor. The Pentax is a very straight forward camera to use. Enjoy it. Do experiment once in a while. Take the same shots on natural and high color settings. Its free with digital to shoot more.
thanks
barondla
10-30-2006, 03:34 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Congrats Debbie ... you are exactly the kind of person that can truly enjoy the benefits of a camera like the 100D.
Like barondla said ... shoot often and experiment when and if you want ... but above all, enjoy.

Cheers .... Hawki
10-30-2006, 06:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everybody! It's suppose to get miserable and cold tomorrow (poor kids) so I shot again tonight after work - quick before the sun went totally down. Could not bring myself to switch to the natural mode

You have no idea what a battle I fought with the darn FZ30. I *hated* it. This Petax is just such a pleasure I guess I'll bask in it awhile and play with setting later. It's not lack of understanding what the various functions do - it's just the sheer pleasure of not having to guess, or fight or keep my fingers crossed about what might come out of the camera.
10-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #8

Hi Izzy, I think that is an outstanding Autumn picture. It is so good to hear that the K100D is a pleasure to use!! Bob