Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K100D Viewfinder smudge/scratch

Well this is the first time I've posted on the forum in a very long time but I've been pretty happy w/ my Pentaxes.

Anyway, I was doing some photographing at my job when I noticed the viewfinder was all smudged up. I cleaned it up w/ one of my lens cloths and a dab of rubbing alcohol and noticed it didn't go away.

They look like hairline scratches but they are smudged up to the point that my eye can't tell what's in focus. Pictures come out fine, but the viewfinder is frustrating--to say the least.

What should I do? I have a warranty thru Mack I think.. I got it thru KEH and it was near-perfect(bought it as a back-up camera) or perhaps I should send to Pentax? Or should I try something else to clean it or polish it? Is it glass or plastic? Can't tell.

It doesn't photograph very well, even with a polarizer so here's what you can make out of it:

04-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #2

Original Poster
Aw, no one has any input at all?
04-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Does it affect the photographs or your ability to focus? If not, it might be better to just live with it rather than go to the expense of getting it fixed.
You might want to take it to the nearest camera store to you and ask them to look at it and tell you what they think.
04-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skydragoness Quote
Well this is the first time I've posted on the forum in a very long time but I've been pretty happy w/ my Pentaxes.

Anyway, I was doing some photographing at my job when I noticed the viewfinder was all smudged up. I cleaned it up w/ one of my lens cloths and a dab of rubbing alcohol and noticed it didn't go away.

They look like hairline scratches but they are smudged up to the point that my eye can't tell what's in focus. Pictures come out fine, but the viewfinder is frustrating--to say the least.

What should I do? I have a warranty thru Mack I think.. I got it thru KEH and it was near-perfect(bought it as a back-up camera) or perhaps I should send to Pentax? Or should I try something else to clean it or polish it? Is it glass or plastic? Can't tell.

It doesn't photograph very well, even with a polarizer so here's what you can make out of it:
You think you got a problem?

Check this out!

Camera fell about a foot onto a TILE floor and bounced four to six times on the top.

I was devastasted as I had just purchsased weeks before, used off of EBAY.

Camera was in MINT condition with no scracthes whatsoever.
View Picture EXIF
Name:  cracked.jpg
Views: 4685
Size:  112.0 KB

Mine still works great!

Like shooting close to a fence.

Sometimes the cracks glare.

But the camera fuctions perfectly.

Focus and everything.

Did a wedding and a model shoot recently.

Photos available upon request.

The diopetor does not work, however.

Small loss. I am lucky.

When I get my K20D, I will have fixed.

My concern is weather sealing may be breached at the viewfinder.

04-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
I was just hoping maybe there was some kind of cleaner that could get it off.
I'm a car geek so I just had some idea there was 'something' out there. My only guess is something like sand got in the viewfinder when I was outside shooting and I rubbed the cloth in there not knowing.

Res: That sucks! I'm sure that happened in slo-motion with you yelling "NOOOOOOoOOoOOOOo!"

Anyway, at least you can see thru yours, mine is like vaseline. K100D isn't exactly fantastic in the AF department so not having visual confimation of something being focused is a bit annoying. (I use MF 90% of the time).

Well at least it's the back-up to the K10D I have anyway...
04-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lint or smudge in the viewfinder can be cleaned by removing the assembly, I had mine K100D done when it was under warranty by Pentax repair shop. The lint most likely get in when I was blowing the sensor (I would avoid getting the aire blower too close to the camera in mirror lock-up position.
04-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skydragoness Quote
I was just hoping maybe there was some kind of cleaner that could get it off.
I'm a car geek so I just had some idea there was 'something' out there. My only guess is something like sand got in the viewfinder when I was outside shooting and I rubbed the cloth in there not knowing.

Res: That sucks! I'm sure that happened in slo-motion with you yelling "NOOOOOOoOOoOOOOo!"

Anyway, at least you can see thru yours, mine is like vaseline. K100D isn't exactly fantastic in the AF department so not having visual confimation of something being focused is a bit annoying. (I use MF 90% of the time).

Well at least it's the back-up to the K10D I have anyway...

Yea. That is EXACTLY what went through my mind.

That sucks you can't see through yours as mine should be the one like that.

Maybe the K10D has tougher materials than the K100D

BTW I am looking for a backup before my K10D becomes a backup to the K20D I will purchase in time.

Your take on the K100D aside from the viefinder problem as I had considered it a cheap but good alternative.

Thanks!

05-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My K100D has this problem a well but it doesnt seem to affect me (can still see through etc). Perhaps it's from when I stored it in some weird way? Probably you should send it to pentax for a quote.
05-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #9

I had the same problem with my ist DL. i was out shooting one day, cleaned some water off the viewfinder and i noticed the smudging/scratching on there that hadn't been before. Theres nothing that will take it off as it is actually the surface of the viewfinder that has been damaged. What i did was I called pentax and asked them to send me an exploded view parts diagram of my camera (which they did and which i posted on this forum along with the k200d diagram. both can be found in a search of my threads) I found the part i needed which was just the viewfinder "glass" (it's plastic on that camera) and I had them send me one. It only cost 12 bucks! I undid all of the screws I could find on top of the camera and the top came right off. Two little screws home the viewfinder in place which is enclosed in a sort of capsule. Pop it out, toss in the new one. and replace. Thats all it took, I never had a problem with it again and it probably saved me the service fees which would have cost into the hundreds. If you are somewhat handy you could easily do the same fix. I havent done it on your specific model but I cant see the design being much different. I say give it a shot.

Good luck,

Owen
05-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #10

Hi everybody!
Yesterday my K10D felt to the ground and the viewfinder has gone in pieces...

So, I was looking on internet about possible solution without shipping the camera, and I saw this thread...
Is it any change to get the replacement part? I need just the external glass... the lens inside is ok, the camera works fine.
05-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #11

I've found the exploded view of the K10D, but I'm unable to identify the part number of what I need... does anyone understand better than me this diagram?

06-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
lyn

Last edited by lyn; 06-11-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: mistake
06-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #13

to me it looks like part 239
06-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

oh god haha you guys had me like wincing in pain throughout this thread! Its a possibility the previous owner cleaned it with something he/she wasn't supposed to...or it could have been someone who picked up your camera recently, saw some dust and decided to give it a wipe or two. (did you notice the obstruction when you first got it from KEH?)

Like the other posters mentioned, the screen's plastic. I only use the blower bulb and at most (worst) my shirt (only the 100% cotton stuff).

I'd look into getting replacement part. $12 ain't bad at all for clearer vision!

(about the parts diagram, I agree it looks to be part 239)
06-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #15

Thanks you all, I solved it.
I found a small shop where they repair cameras and they just changed the outer glass... with 50€ I have my camera back, not bad!
Anyway, if someone is able to find a way to buy online replacement parts, I think it would be interesting to share this information...