Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I do get a kick out of all the techie 'mavens'..probably a word that Burt Keppler would use...descend on threads with their you gotta have this feature...if Camera 'A' doesnt...than it's well nigh useless.

My point being that no it's not useless...it dependes on who is using the camera to get the best out of it.

Again I'm no Eisenstadt or Cartier-Bresson...but check out their photos from the past with using just a simple mechanical camera...with 50 mm lens...sometimes using a light meter...sometimes not .

Many of us have a lot to learn about what photography really is...just not all the bells and whistles. BTW I still have a lot to learn about basic, non frills photography.
Absolutely right.
Put a camera in the right hands and one will see what it's capable of.
I still feel I'm learning the basics, too.
Composition is one thing I have to seriously work on, and my K10 doesn't have a function to help me with that...neither does a wallet-denting "pro" camera.

Anyway, glad the op is enjoying the K-m.
I have tried it in the shops several times recently.
It feels too small for me, but beginning to see that as a plus point for a second body, keeping the K10 busy as the main workhorse...

05-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
In that case you are right and posts like that are useful. I was referring to "intelligent" 1 sentence posts like "K-m has no DOF-preview-button.".

And my post was not directed at you, it was directed at people making those "smart" posts. I quoted your post only because I agree with that quoted sentence, the rest of my post has nothing to do with your post. Sorry if you misunderstood and thought the entire thing was directed at you.
No apology necessary. Consider my post also not directed at you, but a gentle prodding for the people who do post the one-liners - in order to be useful, such statements really should come with context supplied.

I absolutely agree that for many people, lack of a meter display is not even going to be noticed. It's important to me, because of how *I* use the camera, and I try to make that clear, so others can decide if that would be important to them.

But just to be clear - this is not an esoteric modern convenience feature that photographers accustomed to fully manual cameras would not care about. Quite the contrary - it's a feature that folks looking for the fully manual experience would be *more* likely to be expecting. It's the folks who are accustomed to shooting in autoexposure modes who are more likely to be satisfied with the "Green" button method (+/- on K-m) - it's basically a "manually assisted" Av mode. However, folks looking for something more like the manual experience of a K1000 or other older camera that shows you a meter reading directly should know that this won't be an option. As I said, this is actually a step *backwards* from most fully manual cameras. Except, of course, for *really* old fully manual cameras that have no meter at all.

Most of the other "missing" features are, however, are things that people accustomed to fully manual cameras would not care about. Eg, no selectable focus points? What's a focus point? Need to use a menu to change ISO? Beats changing a roll of film!
05-04-2009, 01:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

After a bit more than 2 months and 580 shots I'm also very happy with it. I'm convinced it was a good purchase decision and this cam will serve me well in the next 3-4 years
05-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
As the original poster I am surprised how this thread has gone. I got the KM to complement my K10D...to use as a second body and mostly as a lightweight carry around that will provide better quality pictures than even the best of P + S...because of the sensor size and the undeniable advantage of interchangeable lenses.

Yes I realized it doesn't have all the features of my K10D...but...and it's a big but...I realized that it was not a K10D replacement.

Forty odd years ago I did what might be considered some pro photography...I worked in the publishing field and took pictures that were used for publication purposes. I was very young, it wasn't a big deal...I was no Eisenstadt working for Life Magazine...but it was part of my job. Hence my Pentax S1a and hand held Sekonic light meter. Both still work...even with the dents and scrapes on them from 40 + years of service.

I've had and still got many mechanical and other cameras ...still used.

I do get a kick out of all the techie 'mavens'..probably a word that Burt Keppler would use...descend on threads with their you gotta have this feature...if Camera 'A' doesnt...than it's well nigh useless.

My point being that no it's not useless...it dependes on who is using the camera to get the best out of it.

Again I'm no Eisenstadt or Cartier-Bresson...but check out their photos from the past with using just a simple mechanical camera...with 50 mm lens...sometimes using a light meter...sometimes not .

Many of us have a lot to learn about what photography really is...just not all the bells and whistles. BTW I still have a lot to learn about basic, non frills photography.
Yes, but your rhetoric still does not put a DOF-preview button on the k-m.

Just kidding. I couldn't help myself. If it wasn't for the humor, I'd already have an ulcer after the last 14 years of internauting...

05-04-2009, 05:49 AM   #20

K-m DOES have a DOF/preview button.

you choose the option in the menu to assign the '?' to preview
05-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
K-m DOES have a DOF/preview button.

you choose the option in the menu to assign the '?' to preview
It's digital preview only, not very useful. But they could implement it in a future firmware update though.
05-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
i am happy km owner for 3 months

I bought a km two months ago as a backup for my k100d super. The battery life is a lot better. I do not have manual or plan to buy manual lens. The km is smaller than my k100d super with a battery grip.
05-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #23
Forum Member

I bought an k-m about one month ago, very happy with it as a walk-around camera, enjoy it a lot
Wrote a few words about it here if anyone is interested: Pentax k-m / k2000|Blågg

05-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I recently picked up a K2000 as a backup to my K200D, and a DA21 lives on the camera. I've tried a variety of point-and-shoots, but I just can't settle for less than DSLR quality, so the K2000 with the DA21 on it is my current point-and-shoot. When I want to go really heavy, I'll put a DA70 in my pocket
05-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm very tempted by this camera for use as a "traveling light" "point and shoot" DSLR (to the extent that is not a contradiction in terms). I've tried a pocket camera (Canon SD 880) for times I just can't be bothered with a lot of gear, and I've found I have a tough time taking decent photos with the current crop--the lack of an optical finder is a killer. My middle age presbyopia has me holding the screen out at arm's length, which is neither steady nor convenient. In addition, there are the skies in low light which are full of clumps that remind me of a really bad day in the darkroom.

As the op stated, you can't beat a digital slr. Even a light one with a kit lens will run rings around the next best thing.