Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

New KM - very happy

I took my new KM out to try it out today. It's a great little camera...similar, but different than my K10D. To begin with the K10D with the battery grip is a lot heavier than the small, lightweight KM.

As mentioned in previous posts I plan to use the KM as a carry around camera and second body complimenting the K10D.

The kit 18-55 that came with it is light , fast and the pix seem fine.

I find the menu sorting not a big deal, although I prefer buttons...and the KM screen is very bright...like the info screen on the back...well thought out little camera.

I realize the primary audience is for newbies...but I just use the 'letter' side of the dial as I do in the K10D to set aperture, shutter or whatever I need to at the time. Even though I've used manual SLR's and medium format cameras for years...I think I'll love this little, lightweight KM...I can still choose settings, it's light and has a nice sized sensor.

I originally was looking at getting a Canon G10 or a Panasonic LX3...but when I compared pix quality on the internet...the choice was easy....you can't beat a DSLR.

I've even used the help button...good little button.

Last edited by lesmore49; 04-29-2009 at 03:24 PM.
04-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
you can't beat a DSLR.
Isn't this the truth?
04-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

Lesmore49

Welcome to the club!
K-m is a great camera!
04-30-2009, 05:01 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
K-m has no DOF-preview-button.

04-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #5

Also, the sky is blue.
04-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by quickiekuchen Quote
K-m has no DOF-preview-button.
Never been a problem for me in my many years of photography. Over 40 years ago everything was strictly manual for me...still is when I use my old 1952 Leica.

I rarely used any of my DOF buttons...I've taken enough pictures in my time, just to go by knowing the performance patterns of different F stops .

The fact that I have the choice of 3 metering systems in my KM is wonderful for a guy like me, who started SLR photography using hand held light meters...the reflection off the palm of my hand...then gray cards or sometimes if my meter was kaput...just using the old Kodak advice about settings for sunny/blue skies...etc.

I've always thought the brain is where many of the best photographs are set up.
04-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Never been a problem for me in my many years of photography. Over 40 years ago everything was strictly manual for me...still is when I use my old 1952 Leica.
True, but presumably many of the cameras you used during those 40 years would display a meter reading. The DOF preview is the only way Pentax DSLR's can display meter readings when using manual exposure K-mount lenses. That's why it's valuable - not so much for checking depth of field.

So in that sense, the fact that the K-m can't display a meter reading reading with manual lenses is a step *behind* most manual operation cameras such as the K1000, for example. But if you're OK with using a separate handheld meter, then this is obviously still a non-issue.
04-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Actually, you can configure the "+/-" button to meter with manual lenses. I use it with my M 135 and M 50 all the time. Check page 242 of the K2000 manual:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/product/K2000_IB.pdf

Last edited by gnaztee; 04-30-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: garbled my message...added reference page
04-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find the menu sorting not a big deal, although I prefer buttons...and the KM screen is very bright...like the info screen on the back...well thought out little camera.

I realize the primary audience is for newbies...but I just use the 'letter' side of the dial as I do in the K10D to set aperture, shutter or whatever I need to at the time. Even though I've used manual SLR's and medium format cameras for years...I think I'll love this little, lightweight KM...I can still choose settings, it's light and has a nice sized sensor.

I originally was looking at getting a Canon G10 or a Panasonic LX3...but when I compared pix quality on the internet...the choice was easy....you can't beat a DSLR.

I've even used the help button...good little button.

Yes it sort grows on you because its small size means that you'll use it when you would have left the K10D at home or in the bag. I almost have difficulties to get back to the chunky K20D at times (particularly when it's fitted with the 16-50 and the grip).

There are also bad sides on the K-m. Performance of burst is not great, it stops after 4 frames and is very slow to clear the buffer. It can be a problem at times, a problem I never had with the K10D or K20D (their buffers are large enough for most of my uses). It takes also times to review the picture taken, almost as slow as the K20D. The K10D was faster than both. The AF is good but sometimes the lack of corner AF points is dearly missed.

Speaking of performance, I'm going to do some formal tests with my SD cards ranging from a Sandisk Extreme III 30Mb/s to a Toshiba Class4. Even the Sandisk Extreme III 30Mb/s edition doesn't improve the 4 frames limitation. Buffer clearance is a bit faster though.
04-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Actually, you can configure the "+/-" button to meter with manual lenses.
Yes, you can get it momentarily stop down and set shutter speed based on the meter reading in that moment. But you can't get it to *display* the meter reading while scanning about the scene - something that many people coming from older manual cameras would take for granted as a given and would be shocked to find missing.

But as well all know, some things had to be cut to create an entry level camera. Some are bothered by the lack of selectable AF points, but that doesn't bother me a bit. Others see the lack of top LCD as a deal breaker. We all probably have our individual list of must-have features that are irrelevant to others.
05-01-2009, 02:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
We all probably have our individual list of must-have features that are irrelevant to others.
Exactly. And that's why all these "it doesn't have this or that" posts are useless and imho not needed. I could also throw in just as smart posts of what K20D is missing, but who cares? The (happy) owners of that camera probably don't.
Most of the time those people feel the need to contemn and bash others' (cheaper) equipment who suck with their own one. The biggest badass equipment won't make you a better photographer and also won't enlarge your p***s.

Be happy with your camera and also let others be happy with their one.
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I disagree - they aren't useless. Someone new to these cameras sees just a list of features and has a hard time gauging why such-and-such a feature might be useful and whether it is worth spending more money to get it. A one line description in a press release isn't really enough information to allow one to make an intelligent decision. Much better to hear from someone who values the feature and is able to describe why they value it. Not because everyone else should feel the same, but to give the reader more information to enable him to decide for himself if it will matter to *him* or not.
05-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Much better to hear from someone who values the feature and is able to describe why they value it.
In that case you are right and posts like that are useful. I was referring to "intelligent" 1 sentence posts like "K-m has no DOF-preview-button.".

And my post was not directed at you, it was directed at people making those "smart" posts. I quoted your post only because I agree with that quoted sentence, the rest of my post has nothing to do with your post. Sorry if you misunderstood and thought the entire thing was directed at you.
05-02-2009, 04:34 AM   #14
Forum Member

SIMICO:

It looks like, too many people who are using Pentax K20/10/200D as a semi-pro/pro camera (hmm.. let's say for business) can not use it without "DOF-preview" feature or they have to have "selectable focusing points". Thats why too many people don't like K-m, but like I've wrote in a previous thread, they do not realize: it's an entry level DSLR :-) for people (like me for example) who just moved from P&S camera to DSLR. Many of them will never use such things like DOF, Focusing points etc, simply because they are not pro-photographers, IMO this is the main reason why Pentax removed DOF feature in K-m/K2000. not to mention that many of them will never buy an expensive lenses :-) and will be ok with using KIT lens only. :-)
Anyway, I like my K2000 and price/quality ratio is the best one in my case :-)
05-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As the original poster I am surprised how this thread has gone. I got the KM to complement my K10D...to use as a second body and mostly as a lightweight carry around that will provide better quality pictures than even the best of P + S...because of the sensor size and the undeniable advantage of interchangeable lenses.

Yes I realized it doesn't have all the features of my K10D...but...and it's a big but...I realized that it was not a K10D replacement.

Forty odd years ago I did what might be considered some pro photography...I worked in the publishing field and took pictures that were used for publication purposes. I was very young, it wasn't a big deal...I was no Eisenstadt working for Life Magazine...but it was part of my job. Hence my Pentax S1a and hand held Sekonic light meter. Both still work...even with the dents and scrapes on them from 40 + years of service.

I've had and still got many mechanical and other cameras ...still used.

I do get a kick out of all the techie 'mavens'..probably a word that Burt Keppler would use...descend on threads with their you gotta have this feature...if Camera 'A' doesnt...than it's well nigh useless.

My point being that no it's not useless...it dependes on who is using the camera to get the best out of it.

Again I'm no Eisenstadt or Cartier-Bresson...but check out their photos from the past with using just a simple mechanical camera...with 50 mm lens...sometimes using a light meter...sometimes not .

Many of us have a lot to learn about what photography really is...just not all the bells and whistles. BTW I still have a lot to learn about basic, non frills photography.