Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Video on a DSLR?
Video is just a marketing gimmick with no proper use 3027.52%
Video is a useful feature but not a major factor 5247.71%
Video is a must today, my next DSLR will have it 2220.18%
Properly done video would be great, but we're not going to see that on a DSLR 54.59%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #31

Although it isn't a make or break feature, video is definitely one of the reasons I am upgrading to a K-7. In terms of video adding size and cost to the camera, the video-enabled K-7 is smaller and launched at the same price as the K20D it replaced. Also, one can't simply assume that dollars were spent on X instead of Y. Maybe Pentax increased the development budget, to accommodate the cost of adding video, with the expectation that additional sales would be generated by the feature. Sony and Olympus are the only two manufacturers not to jump onto the video train with their dSLR lineup, and can you honestly say they're better off for it?

I am not a cinematographer, and I have no interest in capturing video for the sake of video. I don't plan on recording events, nor do I intend on filming a movie. As such, spending money on a camcorder is of no interest to me.

So, if I have no interest in camcorders, why would I want video on my dSLR? That is because, in my opinion, the video in a dSLR doesn't perform the same function as a camcorder. First of all, viewing the picture on the rear LCD while operating the focusing ring does give you a stable shooting position without the use of a tripod or a steadycam. Furthermore, the rolling shutter phenomenon severely limits the ability to pan and capture action. A dSLR just isn't practical to be used as a substitute for a camcorder, and every attempt I've seen by someone to use it at such produced terrible results.

The way I see it, video in a dSLR is an extension of the still photo taking process, and not simply camcorder functionality shoved into the camera body. It is simply another creative option and another layer that can be added to a base photograph. Instead of having a series of similar pictures, I could have a collection of short clips accompanied by sound or music. Slight movement and the selection of the audio track is just another layer that can be added upon the initial composition. If you look at any decent K-7 video, most of the selected scenes and compositions could have easily been still photos instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIsPisBi7_k

Here are the two best examples I've seen so far. The things that draw me to these movies are the same things that draw me to still photos; the composition, the artistic control over focus, depth of field, and exposure (to an extent). On top of that, the tonality produced by the K-7 is very pleasing. Now, if video was adding significant cost or drastically compromising the functions of the camera, then it'd be a different story. But, for all intents and purposes, the functionality is a damn near free bonus.