Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unforseen disadvantage of Dslr with video

Had a friend tell me that a sports stadium that used to allow Dslrs, now prohibits them. She asked why was told that there are now Dslrs that do video capture and that could not be allowed. Since they don't know which can and can't all are prohibited. Ouch! Don't care a thing about video, but will be penalized for it.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #17 Winners in P&S forum. Enter #18. Any brand camera. Ends tomorrow. Enter now!

04-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That sucks. How they gone penalize ALL of us for the few that can? Shouldn't they at least have the make and model to check by instead of banning them all?
04-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
such a check it far too complex for the shit muncher watching the door.
04-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #4

seems they would also have to ban all cell phones and point-and-shoot digital cameras since they record video as well.

05-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
Dom

That does suck big time. The way round it is to use a film camera
05-01-2009, 04:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
such a check it far too complex for the shit muncher watching the door.
That's a nice thing to call someone doing honest work for low pay.
05-01-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonMexico Quote
seems they would also have to ban all cell phones and point-and-shoot digital cameras since they record video as well.
So true! Or are they only worried about high quality video getting out?

05-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #8

prohibiting DSLr in sports

so far the only group that has published a prohibition of Digital SLR is FIFA and they have only certain ones on a list for the press photog's since the cameras could violate Television vs Print exclusivity agreements they have with their press partners

if there is a stadium doing this to consumers we would love to hear about it ....
maybe you friend of a friend can tell us which one

this is the only real information i've seen and its on a canon rumor forum
Canon Rumors Blog Archive 1D Mark X [CR3]
05-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you want to take photo just get in touch with some one and as long as you can prove your freelance i.e your website etc then you should be fine and that way you can sell the photos too to press etc it's worth doing.. worst they'll say is no
05-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Had a friend tell me that a sports stadium that used to allow Dslrs, now prohibits them. She asked why was told that there are now Dslrs that do video capture and that could not be allowed. Since they don't know which can and can't all are prohibited. Ouch! Don't care a thing about video, but will be penalized for it.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #17 Winners in P&S forum. Enter #18. Any brand camera. Ends tomorrow. Enter now!
So, have they outlawed P&S cameras all along? My P&S is my video camera. I haven't noticed a shortage of P&S cameras at any venue I've been to lately.
05-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sometimes you can get around situations like this with a smaller camera like the K-m with something like the Da40 attached, while your tele sits in a jacket pocket...
05-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Somebody needs to make a fake "film back" cover for DSLRs
05-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
Kei

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Sometimes you can get around situations like this with a smaller camera like the K-m with something like the Da40 attached, while your tele sits in a jacket pocket...
Yes, but my (cheaper) solution would be using the *istDL + DA40 or DA50. Mine is the silver-black model which look more like a film SLR than a dslr

The good tele in pocket would be a MF 135mm f2.8 once I train my MF skills to an acceptable level.
05-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Wow - I just realized the last time (and only time) I was in a stadium was for a Pink Floyd concert in 1994 - might be the last time I will ever be in one if I can make that happen .

Seriously though, this sort of knee jerk ban is silly and does nothing more than drive away business (I assume - well they'd loose mine, but I guess they never had it to start with ).
05-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Wow - I just realized the last time (and only time) I was in a stadium was for a Pink Floyd concert in 1994 - might be the last time I will ever be in one if I can make that happen .
My first and last was an Eric Clapton concert in 1974, bloody awful affair. And my camera was stolen. I've been to various smaller-scale festivals since, with AV gear, but never stadiae for sports or music or anything. Maybe if televangelists were being thrown to hungry lions...