Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think Jewelltrail provides the answer there - the P&S cameras that offer an "always on" mode would indeed be always ready. I guess I wasn't thinking of P&S cameras. I'd be curious if any DSLR stabilization systems offer such a mode.
While in Liveview you can see the effect of continous stabilisation on the K20D. And yes this drains the battery quite fast.

05-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Ratmagiclady: Well, on the FZ7, what they say is that mode 1 gives you a stabilized view (and uses more power) and mode 2 actually can give stronger stabilization. (Possibly they improved Mode 1 by the time of the FZ28, but that's what I recall) It's not infallible, but those little guys can give some truly sci-fi like feats of stable
I think it is the same on the FZ28 now that you mention it: Mode 2 gives you better stabilization as well. I wasn't sure when I responded, that is why I chose this wording: "I believe Mode 1 is more effective according too Panasonic." Thank you for the correction.

I also agree that these little Panny FZs give incredible feats with stabilization. But, like Marc says, it is probably easier to do this on the much smaller Pannys than on DSLRs, like the K20.
05-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatella: I'd be curious if any DSLR stabilization systems offer such a mode.
Good point, so would I.

QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatella: Given how much larger DSLR sensors and lenses are compared to P&S, I would shudder to think of how much of a drain it would be on battery life if it were to attempted, but I'm sure it would be possible.
Agreed.

QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatella: Really, I guess the big question is, why aren't you in the habit of half pressing and holding long enough to stabilize *yourself* anyhow? That's kind of basic photographic technique. Quickly whirling around, pointing the camera as fast as you can, and punching the shutter button as fast as you can like some sort of Hollywood gunslinger in a duel is hardly conducive to sharp pictures, SR or no SR.
Excellent point.

Though the "Bridge" FZ 28 is truly spectacular value (loaded with cool features) when one considers what one gets for their money, it is almost always for the K20 and a few lenses that I reach when I'm going out to shoot pictures. Even when I hike, with a plan to do over 10 miles in a day, with serious elevation gain, it is still the K20 which gets first admission. The FZ earns its ticket because it has HD video capability. I never would have dreamed carrying all this extra weight around just to take pictures. I bought the FZ thinking it would lighten my loads on many a hiking trip, but it has not happened yet.
05-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
ManuH: While in Liveview you can see the effect of continous stabilisation on the K20D.
Good point. Have you ever tried composing and shooting with the K20's live view? I have only ever used it to focus (magnified) while Macro shooting.

05-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Really, I guess the big question is, why aren't you in the habit of half pressing and holding long enough to stabilize *yourself* anyhow? That's kind of basic photographic technique.
Try to do that when shooting fast action, please. You're either half pressing all the time (and then you have to focus manually or by different button) or you can half press and hold long enough just to realize it's too late and you missed the shot.

QuoteQuote:
Quickly whirling around, pointing the camera as fast as you can, and punching the shutter button as fast as you can like some sort of Hollywood gunslinger in a duel is hardly conducive to sharp pictures, SR or no SR.
"That's kind of basic photographic technique." If I see a good moment, I have like 1 second (or less) to point the cam there, focus and shoot.

I wish there was at least an option for "always ready" SR. I dont care if it needs more power, there are situations where one can sacrifice battery life.
05-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Try to do that when shooting fast action, please. You're either half pressing all the time (and then you have to focus manually or by different button) or you can half press and hold long enough just to realize it's too late and you missed the shot.
True. I don't do a lot of "fast action", but I do ride the half-press and focus manually a lot when shooting the type of action I do shoot (eg, concerts), so that doesn't seem like a huge limiter to me.

Anyhow, my point isn't that there would never be any advantage to having a faster SR system. I'm just trying to be realistic. The way they do it on a P&S would not be very effective on a SLR because the sensors and lenses are *MUCH* larger. And "most" of the time, you can make the existing scheme work just fine. With good technique, the numbers of shots you'd have no choice but to take without SR should be pretty small. But sure, an optional "always on" (I'm guessing it would be good for maybe 15 minutes before draining the battery completely) wouldn't hurt.
05-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I didn't even include SR as a criterion for considering the K20D, and I never use it (I've tried it a couple of times just because it's there). I'm old-school in the sense that I'll use a tripod/monopod/stable surface if I need a slower-shutter shot. I've always regarded SR on any system as only useful for someone who doesn't understand/want to understand the rule for determining shutter speed as 1/focal length. I'm wondering if I'm just a stick-in-the-mud or if others feel the same way about SR?
05-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Good point. Have you ever tried composing and shooting with the K20's live view? I have only ever used it to focus (magnified) while Macro shooting.
Yes, some shots are more comfortable when using Liveview.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I've always regarded SR on any system as only useful for someone who doesn't understand/want to understand the rule for determining shutter speed as 1/focal length. I'm wondering if I'm just a stick-in-the-mud or if others feel the same way about SR?
The 1/FL rule is very approximate. A good read about it on How to Read Image Stabilization Test Results - SLRgear.com!.

As with any technology, the best is to understand how and when it can help you. I use SR to lower my ISO as much as possible to get the best quality from my pictures. The good thing about SR is that there is almost no penalty to using it.

05-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I've always regarded SR on any system as only useful for someone who doesn't understand/want to understand the rule for determining shutter speed as 1/focal length.
Um, no. Plenty of us understand this "rule" well. We understand it well enough to know that it's not a "rule" - just kind of a approximation. Shots taken at faster shutter speeds are more likely to come out sharp, shots taken slower are less likely. But knowing this doesn't mean one can always *get* shutter speeds fast enough. And while a monopod or leaning against something increases the odds, it's still no guarantee of 100% sharp shots either. SR is just another way of increasing the odds. Deliberately not taking advantage of SR is kind of silly, I think - just as silly as deliberately not trying to get a faster shutter speed, or deliberately not using a monopod, or deliberately not leaning against something.

Although I notice from your signature you don't have a telephoto lens, so the advantages of SR aren't as great.