Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another reason K20D is a winner.

Care to read the following: (Shutterbug comment/test, about image stabilizing methods and limits.

Shutterbug: Do You Know Your SBA?

extract "To test my Pentax K20D and 18-250mm Pentax lens (at 300mm equivalent) I shot a series similar to the Canon 5D Mark II and cropped the 14,500,000 pixel images to 900x300. To my delight I discovered that the body-integral Image Stabilization in my Pentax allowed me to shoot down to 1⁄25 sec at the 200mm setting. Because of this strong performance and—most importantly—because my Pentax delivers Shake Reduction (their term) with all of my Pentax lenses, I’ve declared the K20D the overall winner of the SBA competition. Other companies offer a selection of stabilized lenses—and for the most part, they’re terrific. But with my Pentax I can enjoy the Anti-Shake benefits with my macro lens, 50mm f/1.4, and other types of lenses that are not available in IS versions".

05-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Dom

Groovy.
05-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #3

from an engineering perspective, (not design quality or electromech performance, but from a scope/suitability perspective) in-body IS is a clear winner.

The fact that it can be used with ANY GOD DAMN LENS make sit an invaluable feature.
05-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Care to read the following: (Shutterbug comment/test, about image stabilizing methods and limits.

Shutterbug: Do You Know Your SBA?

Thanks for sharing the info. How dare Shutterbug challenge the well spun info that in lens IS is better than in body SR? Does Shutterbug need advertisement money?

One rare article indeed

Daniel

05-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good and clearly written article. One question: Why do you suppose, at bottom of page 2, he left out the 35mm equivalent of the Canon?
05-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't shoot me for this... but I find Panasonic's optical image stabilization to be better. I can make shots with 1/4 shutter speed in 35-70mm (equiv.) FL range with 80% success rate and shots with 1/6 shutter speed in 300-400mm (equiv.) FL range with 50% success rate. I can't do the same with Pentax's in-body SR.
But it's not a fair comparison as the Panasonic cams don't have mirror and I think the vibration caused by the mirror is responsible for this in my case.
05-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
simico: Don't shoot me for this... but I find Panasonic's optical image stabilization to be better. I can make shots with 1/4 shutter speed in 35-70mm (equiv.) FL range with 80% success rate and shots with 1/6 shutter speed in 300-400mm (equiv.) FL range with 50% success rate. I can't do the same with Pentax's in-body SR.
But it's not a fair comparison as the Panasonic cams don't have mirror and I think the vibration caused by the mirror is responsible for this in my case.
No, in fact I welcome your discussion. My FZ28 will often get me 4 stops + with SR, and its effectiveness is adjustable, which is really cool--you can save battery power according to Panasonic in different SR modes.

So, I would agree with you--some of those Panasonic bridge cameras represent the ultimate, IMHO, in value for the dollar.

With which Panny do you shoot?
05-04-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
With which Panny do you shoot?
I have a 4 year old FZ5 and also had the opportunity to play with the new G1. I was seriously considering buying the G1, but it's price was too high at that time for me, so I chose Pentax's K-m double zoom kit.

There's one thing I really don't like about the Pentax SR: the 1-2 second delay for it to be ready after half-pressing the shutter-release button. This is something I really don't understand (all other image stabilizer systems I've seen so far are "always ready", there's no delay) and really hate. I either miss a shot (quick action) or have to turn SR off so there's no delay.

05-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I actually kind of doubt all the other stabilization systems are always ready. Most probably just aren't nice enough to tell you when they aren't ready.
05-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
There's one thing I really don't like about the Pentax SR: the 1-2 second delay for it to be ready after half-pressing the shutter-release button. This is something I really don't understand (all other image stabilizer systems I've seen so far are "always ready", there's no delay) and really hate. I either miss a shot (quick action) or have to turn SR off so there's no delay.
Maybe processor needs some time to analyze the vibration of the camera to apply the right amount of "counter-shake" - after pressing the shutter release that is. That makes the delay - nothing wrong with that.

P.S. Optical IS has one difference, which some can see as advantage - the result of the stabilization is actually visible in viewfinder. I myself could not care less about that - it just feels pointless to buy separate stabilization with every lens...

Last edited by tim71; 05-04-2009 at 03:05 PM.
05-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim71 Quote
P.S. Optical IS has one difference, which some can see as advantage - the result of the stabilization is actually visible in viewfinder.
Ah yes, and that reminds me - it is definitely *not* instantaneous on, for instance, the Canon 55-250 IS.
05-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatella: I actually kind of doubt all the other stabilization systems are always ready. Most probably just aren't nice enough to tell you when they aren't ready.
On the FZ 28 Panny you have two options: mode 1 & mode 2. From the manual:

Mode 1: Jitter is always compensated

Mode 2: Jitter is compensated only when the shutter button is pressed

I believe Mode 1 is more effective according too Panasonic. Mode 2 is a battery saving selection.

My Canon IS3 had a very similar setup.
05-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Most probably just aren't nice enough to tell you when they aren't ready.
Then they must work magically as just pressing the shutter release without any delay delivers blur-free images - if you do that while Pentax SR is not ready then you get blurred image most of the time.
05-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
On the FZ 28 Panny you have two options: mode 1 & mode 2. From the manual:

Mode 1: Jitter is always compensated

Mode 2: Jitter is compensated only when the shutter button is pressed

I believe Mode 1 is more effective according too Panasonic. Mode 2 is a battery saving selection.

My Canon IS3 had a very similar setup.
Well, on the FZ7, what they say is that mode 1 gives you a stabilized view (and uses more power) and mode 2 actually can give stronger stabilization. (Possibly they improved Mode 1 by the time of the FZ28, but that's what I recall) It's not infallible, but those little guys can give some truly sci-fi like feats of stable.
05-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Then they must work magically as just pressing the shutter release without any delay delivers blur-free images - if you do that while Pentax SR is not ready then you get blurred image most of the time.
I think Jewelltrail provides the answer there - the P&S cameras that offer an "always on" mode would indeed be always ready. I guess I wasn't thinking of P&S cameras. I'd be curious if any DSLR stabilization systems offer such a mode. Given how much larger DSLR sensors and lenses are compared to P&S, I would shudder to think of how much of a drain it would be on battery life if it were to attempted, but I'm sure it would be possible. But anyhow, like I said, definitely *not* the case with Canon's IS system on their consumer lenses - it is only enabled when you half-press the shutter, and it takes at least as long to stabilize as Pentax.

Really, I guess the big question is, why aren't you in the habit of half pressing and holding long enough to stabilize *yourself* anyhow? That's kind of basic photographic technique. Quickly whirling around, pointing the camera as fast as you can, and punching the shutter button as fast as you can like some sort of Hollywood gunslinger in a duel is hardly conducive to sharp pictures, SR or no SR.