Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #1

Sucky results with K20d... what am I doing wrong?

I don't know why, but it feels as though my K100d was giving me FAR better pictures than the K20d is able to deliver.

I have a bunch of limited lenses. All 3 FAs and 21 and 40mm DAs.

All images are slightly soft, and the colors are drab. They lack contrast. The images simply do not have the punch the k100d produced.

So far the FA limiteds need a lot of postprocessing to get good results. The DAs need somewhat less, but it's still far from as good as it was.

When cropping, as mentioned the razor sharpness of the k100 is just not there. I don't get it. 14mp is a ****-ton more that 6. Why are the pictures less detailed?

Also, SR doesn't seem as effective as it once was. I just updated to 1.03. hope it helps. Would suck to have to sell this and somehow track down another k100d.

05-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please provide supporting images with exif intact... if not there is really no basis to support what you claim about the K20D versus the K100D.
05-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
unfortunately i don't have the k100 anymore so i can't post direct compatisons, however, I will try to find pictures of similar settings and subject matter
05-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Be sure to post images at similar sizes. No sense penalizing the K20D for having more pixels by comparing images viewed at 100% - all you're doing then is pushing the lenses closer to their limits.

05-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
Could it be the image tone settings that are off?

I used to set the k100d to neutral... but the k20d neutral might be different.
05-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
65535 Could it be the image tone settings that are off?

I used to set the k100d to neutral... but the k20d neutral might be different.
Are you sure the K20's settings are neutral, and not below?

My K20 produces nice images in neutral settings. If you can post us a few shots with the K20, even without the K100 comparative images, the good people here should be able to give you great advice.
05-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
pdo

quote from one of the book I'm reading on Photo Retouch

"whatever the manner of capture, the "original" should be slightly too flat to start with, because it's better to add contrast in Photoshop then to reduce it. The tonal range should fill the dynamic range of the Histogram, without clipping at the endpoints. This should give you a bit of leeway for color and contrast corrections.

Image tends to look smoother that way after you post process it in Photoshop.
05-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Dom

05-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, I seriously doubt your lenses are at fault! I'll second the suggestion of reviewing the color settings in the camera and comparing them to those used with your K100D.

My second suggestion would be to check for a forgotten exposure comp setting and if present return it to zero for more test shots. I'd think this would be obvious while you're shooting though.

Finally, are you simply shooting in challenging conditions? I tend to have poor luck when shooting outdoors at mid-day under an overcast sky. Yeah, no surprise there, I guess.
05-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 65535 Quote
unfortunately i don't have the k100 anymore so i can't post direct compatisons, however, I will try to find pictures of similar settings and subject matter
I suppose you are located in Canada and hopefully Toronto. I would not mind exchange my perfect K100D plus some money with your K20D .

But maybe you should post some images with your ltd lenses. At least we cannot blame crappy lenses

Daniel
05-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
Igilligan

I can relate...

By the time I switched from the K100d to the K20d, I knew the K100 really well. I knew what settings worked in what conditions. And I had the pp down, to get the look I like out of the 6mp...

When I first got the K20, it seemed soft to me. Not as punchy as the K100. Took a couple of weeks to really start to dial it in for me. After 4 months I still have a lot to learn, but I now have a comfortable base to work from. It is also a very different sensor to PP in my opinion... you can do more to the pics without 'over doing it' if that makes any sense.

Give it some time, ask some questions and try some different settings...

Believe me, when you get the camera set to your 'look'... You are gonna like it more than the K100d
05-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Wait for a sunny day and shoot at (at least) 1/(focal length) shutter speed.
05-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
By the time I switched from the K100d to the K20d, I knew the K100 really well. I knew what settings worked in what conditions. And I had the pp down, to get the look I like out of the 6mp...

When I first got the K20, it seemed soft to me. Not as punchy as the K100.
I feel that way now. My K100D is off for warranty repair(Up in 05/30) for some odd Aperture/Shutter speed lockup/freezing issue where I can't adjust the settings after an image is taken and the exposure values jump from +/- .

Luckily the store where I purchased my K100D gave me a K20D as a loaner.
The K100D is a speedy little camera to adjust settings when you're used to it. Add better live view WB, faster FPS, dedicated ISO button, low light AF light and higher MP and I'd be happy to keep what I have.

I'm not too keen on trying to hold the AF button on the K20D while rotating the front dial just to change the shutter speed. They should have switched the location of that with the Exposure +/- or left it on top near the shutter release. I haven't had a chance to use it much, too busy and I need to go back to pick up the power cord to charge it up but overall I'm not eager to buy one like I thought I would. Never thought I'd say it but I like my K100D better, despite its limitations, for ease of use and fun factor, poor WB has always been the killer to me but I can live with it for a while longer.
05-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
I'm not too keen on trying to hold the AF button on the K20D while rotating the front dial just to change the shutter speed.
In which mode? Have you tried the TAv mode? You can also change the behavior of the dials in the custom settings menu.
05-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
In which mode? Have you tried the TAv mode? You can also change the behavior of the dials in the custom settings menu.
I generally shoot in manual, I haven't tried anything else yet as I haven't had time.