Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #1

Pentax K200D battery trouble

I have a K200D which I've owned for about 14 months. Recently I've been getting extremely poor battery performance from it. When I put inn new batteries, I'll usually get around 80 shots without flash. Then the camera will tell me the batteries are depleted. When I take the batteries out and press the two buttons which provide a battery reading, they tell me that the battery still has 75% of its charge left. When I put the batteries back inn again, there isn't even enough power for the camera to tell me the batteries are depletes. I get nothing happening at all. I then put in brand new batteries. They lasted for around 40 shots. Once they were used up, I put the previous batteries back inn, and suddenly the K200D reported that the battery was at full charge. This lasted for around 100 shots before it died again. Once again, I couldn't get any response from the camera. When I checked the battery, they still claimed to be over half full, despite the camera not reacting to it.

Has anyone else had similar problems with their K200D? My problem is that the shop I bought it from went bankrupt. Can I contact Pentax directly with these kinds of problems?

05-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #2

This issue comes up a lot. I'd suggest you do a search and look through the previous threads. You may wish to also visit batteryuniversity.com.

In particular, it's hard to diagnose your problem since you haven't even said what kind of batteries you are using.

For a baseline, in my K200D, I use NiMH rechargeables with high-quality chargers (a LaCrosse BC-900 and a Maha C-204W). Currently I have a set of LaCrosse 2600 mAh cells (non-low-discharge) which has been in for a couple of weeks and is up to almost 800 shots with no end in sight. On the other hand, the same group of cells gave me only 185 when I was shooting below freezing.
05-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're using anything but Eneloop or similar modern "hybrid" rechargeables, or else Lithium non-rechargeables, then just put all your existing batteries aside - use them in some other device if you wish - and buy the ones I just mentioned. those are the only ones that really do well enough to bother with in Pentax DSLR's, which require the batteries to put out a pretty high voltage compared to what other devices can deal with, and they also require more power than alkalines can put out for more than a few shots.
05-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What Marc wrote. Using Eneloop or Varta Ready2use rechargables is also more economical in the long run.

If the same type of batteries worked fine in the past then you might check the battery type in the menu, maybe it was set to wrong type by accident?

05-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #5

Is there a FAQ on this matter somewhere on the site? I know we don't always agree exactly but there is mostly consensus, and it'd save typing mostly identical advice all the time and let us be more comprehensive.

I'd be happy to contribute, though perhaps not organize it.
05-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rpriedhorsky Quote
Is there a FAQ on this matter somewhere on the site?
Hmmm, that sounds similar to a suggestion I made not long ago. I suggested an FAQ that covered several subjects that come up over and over including K100D batteries (use Eneloops), shutter dead with old manual lenses (use Aperture Ring Optiion), clunking when powered off (normal for SR to flop around), and so on.

alehel: If the K200D uses the same AA batteries as my K1x0Ds and you've had it 14 months I'm amazed you have not had battery problems earlier! As Mark mentioned the NiMh batteries that have trouble in a Pentax may still be suitable in another device. I used to move my "worn out" batteries to my Fuji P&S camera and they work fine there.

If you look through the archive deep enough you will find a person who did some voltage tests. He found the K100D indicates, "Battery Depleted" at a higher voltage than most devices. Standard NiMh batteries start to fade quickly, in fact they fade when not even used (known as self-discharge).
05-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use eneloop re-branded batteries (Duracell) in my K200d, and the battery life is ridiculous! They are cheap too

05-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
Bought an 8-pack of eneloop batteries and a charger for them. Taken about 100 shots without a problem so far, so I presume the problem is solved. 8 eneloop batteries (4 in the k200d and 4 in the battery grip) should last me a fair while
05-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

From my experience with the K200D, even when I shot a lot the batteries (8 total - grip & body) would last 2 weeks.
05-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #10

Despite initial misgivings, I purchased Energizer 2450mAh "6 month discharge" batteries. To my surprise, they're still going strong after 350 shots from the initial charge using the stock charger!

They are marked "ACCU" and "AKKU" and are made in Japan. Perhaps a new formula?
05-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rage Quote
Despite initial misgivings, I purchased Energizer 2450mAh "6 month discharge" batteries. To my surprise, they're still going strong after 350 shots from the initial charge using the stock charger!

They could be rebadged Eneloops. I know the 'made in Japan' Duracell hybrids are.

(maybe not - the Duracell/Eneloops are only 2000mAh)
05-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I came to China with the Energizer lithiums supplied with my 200D that i bought in Australia. Needless to say, they lasted months. I cannot suggest a better non-rechargeable battery.

I have been using Chinese batteries since, obviously, and they have given me quite poor performance. I should have some Eneloops. I bought two 4 packs of rebranded Duracells, (called Gao Feng Li), from a local street merchant here in China and they did not even have enough power to take one shot! I guess i should have at least tried to find some Durakells.

I have often wondered, if batteries are left in the camera will they discharge quicker?
05-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I came to China with the Energizer lithiums supplied with my 200D that i bought in Australia. Needless to say, they lasted months. I cannot suggest a better non-rechargeable battery.

I have been using Chinese batteries since, obviously, and they have given me quite poor performance. I should have some Eneloops. I bought two 4 packs of rebranded Duracells, (called Gao Feng Li), from a local street merchant here in China and they did not even have enough power to take one shot! I guess i should have at least tried to find some Durakells.

I have often wondered, if batteries are left in the camera will they discharge quicker?
I suspect the batteries you bought were not rebranded Duracells but cheap knock-offs. I would never buy batteries from a street vender to put in a €400 camera. The worst wouldnīt be that they donīt work but that they leak & damage the equipment. Always buy good batteries & from a reputable seller.
05-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
They could be rebadged Eneloops. I know the 'made in Japan' Duracell hybrids are.

(maybe not - the Duracell/Eneloops are only 2000mAh)
No, I don't think they rebrand eneloops, although it feels like the ones I purchased might have some sort of LSD tech. It still hasn't dropped a single battery bar!
05-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rage Quote

The same story with me in my K100D. I have used the Energizers quite a bit over the years with no problems until the life of the batteries is gone.

I bought some new ones a week ago, charged them fully and been going strong ever since.

I did not know they rebadged batteries the way the do lenses.

I may have the Eneloops and not even know it.

What is a hybrid NiMH BTW?