Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #1

Corrupted Fimware?

I installed Firmware version 1.3 on my K10D 3 months ago and it has been OK until today when suddenly the DA 16-50 has suddenly become noisy again with whirring autofocus noise as it was before the firmware upgrade.

What do I do next-reinstall, or is there a fault with the camera? Do I simply flash a lower version, and if so, where can I find the download that will actualy work?? (it was difficult enough getting version 1.3).

Many thanks.

05-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Dom

What makes you think it's the firmware, If it's been working fine for three months?
05-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's more likely a pooched lens.
05-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by master49 Quote
I installed Firmware version 1.3 on my K10D 3 months ago and it has been OK until today when suddenly the DA 16-50 has suddenly become noisy again with whirring autofocus noise as it was before the firmware upgrade.
Oh man!
It's not a firmware. It's your lens. Poor-poor. Send it to service with camera for repair.
(your SDM stopped working)

05-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
Many thanks.

Being totally thick, I didn't think it was the lens! What a poor
If the cost of repair is more than £50.00 then I will NOT be pleased. For me this was a big investment.

This is the first time I've had a fault with any lens, and I'm not pleased that its happened with the most expensive lens I've ever purchased with hard earned cash, and only after 14 months. I won't be wasting money on Pentax lenses in future!! (And they always get poor reviews compared to all other independent makes anyway!) If the cost is over £50.00 then I will kiss it goodbye and get a Sigma-top quality, more within my budget and reliable, a make everyone can trust!!

I am really starting to wonder whether investing in Pentax was a good idea!

And to all others looking for a standard lens-DO NOT purchase the DA 16-50. It is true what I have read about quality control issues and faults.

Last edited by master49; 05-03-2009 at 01:11 AM.
05-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by master49 Quote
Many thanks.

Being totally thick, I didn't think it was the lens! What a poor
If the cost of repair is more than £50.00 then I will NOT be pleased. For me this was a big investment.

This is the first time I've had a fault with any lens, and I'm not pleased that its happened with the most expensive lens I've ever purchased with hard earned cash, and only after 14 months. I won't be wasting money on Pentax lenses in future!! (And they always get poor reviews compared to all other independent makes anyway!) If the cost is over £50.00 then I will kiss it goodbye and get a Sigma-top quality, more within my budget and reliable, a make everyone can trust!!

I am really starting to wonder whether investing in Pentax was a good idea!

And to all others looking for a standard lens-DO NOT purchase the DA 16-50. It is true what I have read about quality control issues and faults.
Just remember. Sigma is an acronym for SIGnificant MAlfunction.
But from the looks of it, the 16-50 is a piece of junk.
Why don't all you owners who've been screwed on this lens get together and see if you can bully Pentax into fixing them under a goodwill warranty?