Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2007, 04:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Why no HSM lenses?

Does anyone know why new lenses from Sigma with K-mount don’t have HSM when the same lens for Canon or Nikon does? Aren’t the DSLR’s from Pentax supposed to be able to use HSM lenses?

Besides missing the advantages of HSM it buggs me that I have to pay the same price for a lens without motor as C & N does for the same lens with HSM.

//Gimbal.

04-17-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think there are two reasons (feel free to disagree as these are guesses).

1st I think Sigma has to reverse engineer the HSM from a Pentax lens. This means that they would need a HSM lens from Pentax to be on the market before they could make one themselves, and Pentax hasn't released them yet.

2nd, there is only 1 Pentax camera that supports HSM Sigma would loose all those non K10D sales. That is of course assuming that they couldn't or didn't want to implement a dual focus system that supports all Pentax cameras.
04-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with palmor. I believe that the 1st reason is most probable and that by the end of this year there should be at least an announcement of Sigma HSM lens for Pentax.
04-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
I agree with palmor. I believe that the 1st reason is most probable and that by the end of this year there should be at least an announcement of Sigma HSM lens for Pentax.

I agree, but Sigma and others may wait to see if Pentax is strong with the merger thing going on !!

wll

04-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The next generation of Sigma Lenses will all have HSM on the K mount. This is my bet.
04-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What's HSM?
04-17-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
What's HSM?
Sigma's in lens motors. Hyper Sonic Motors.

04-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

AH! We need an acronym dictionary.
04-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We need one, and we need it PDQ IMHO. LOL!
04-17-2007, 07:22 AM   #10
Forum Member

It's all about market share. If Pentax has enough, then Sigma will do it.

Minolta has had a few SSM lenses for years now. Sigma hasn't bothered to do an HSM Minolta lens largely because the numbers in the Minolta camp just don't compare to Canikon.
04-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Google is your friend: one such list,; from these terms "photographic acronym".
04-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, an unknown TLA can be mysterious.
04-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
The next generation of Sigma Lenses will all have HSM on the K mount. This is my bet.
I hope you're right.
04-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #14
Inactive Account

pentax could double their market share,
if they could offer a dslr with canon mount,....

for my taste, there should be one mount for all dslr cameras,
and an adapter for all old lenses. (period)

will never happen,... that's why my mercedes rims don't fit my volvo,
and the volvo rims don't fit subaru, and the subaru rims .....
it's round, and has 5 holes in it, how difficult is it to have a standard rim ?

not just my 2 cents, Robert
04-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #15

/rant

...and why have diffferent brands of computers? And what's with the multiple types and makes of automobiles available these days? Isn't one enough? If it'll get you from A to B, then no-one should complain, right ? Why do we need 40 different stores all selling hamburgers?

Please excuse the sarcasm, but the preceding statement was just a bit of hyperbole to punctuate the fact that personal taste is the biggest factor in most purchases, camera or otherwise. And, it just might be the only real factor...

I don't "get" these threads... and there seem to be a lot of them... and I don't mean to offend, but even the most basic logic dictates that if Pentax doesn't have what you want, you should go to wherever you need to go to get what you do want.

And though this is a Pentax Users' forum, I don't think that any reasonable photophile or cameraphile, pro-, amateur, or otherwise, would be so arrogant to say that in every situation, bar none, Pentax was the epitome of imaging equipment. But don't be surprised when people defend their purchase, their expression of personal taste. I like my camera - and I purchased a Pentax for reasons that may be unimportant to some, but who cares - I like my camera, and I like reading, and sometimes contributing, information about my camera, and the techniques I need to develop to take better photographs.

It probably wouldn't be the politest thing to do, but I'd be inclined to answer questions like "Why doesn't Pentax have .....? " with the same answer many parents end up giving the 4 year old that asks 35,492 questions every day : "Because that's just the way it is !" and then refusing to answer any more questions on that particular topic.

/rant off

Once again, sorry if I've offended, I may regret my moment of (albeit minor) forum rage later...

Oh, by the way - Hi - I'm Jamie - been lurking here for a lonnnggg time, but just registered a week back. I'm not usually the cranky person I must seem to be right now...