Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Marc, logically, I agree with you. And I originally bought my DL kit as a gift for my sister. But when it arrived and I had to unbox it to set it up for her, I forgot how much I liked the 6mp sensor and the ergonomics of it.
Oh, and as a second body - as backup, or for use in situations where you know you don't need SR or SDM - I can see it making sense. Or as a gift for someone unlikely to get serious.

QuoteQuote:
Plus, for $250 for the DL kit, you just can't find anything equivalent in my opinion.
I'm sure that's true. It's just that when you consider that just $100 more or so gets you SR & SDM, I'd find a way to do that if I were a first time buyer into the Pentax system who expected to be in it for the long haul.

QuoteQuote:
BTW, thanks for confirming that the later versions of the 10mp sensor have a better handle on high ISO noise. I figured as much but I don't have hands on experience with them.
Well, I don't have first hand experience with the K10D. I can only go on prevailing wisdom - how others have felt out about going from the 6MP cameras to the K10D versus going from 6MP cameras to the K200D. Also GordonBGood's tests posted over on dpreview seem to bear some of this out, although there tend to be very technical - based on numbers and measurements based on showing comparison pictures. So anyhow, I can't guarantee that there isn't an element of subjectivity in how we *perceive* noise, what conditions we test under, and so forth, that is at play here.

05-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Man, I'm no better off than when I started! I'm very happy for what I got with the DL kit for 260. I've more than gotten my money's worth. But it's basically been a catalyst for getting me back into 'real' photography after a 30 year hiatus. I'll take all of the recommendations and digest everything. I need to remember that I took decent photos 30 years ago with a mamiya 500DTL and a 50mm lens.

I change my mind often as you can see so I'll probably come upon a deal on lens or body and then pounce. At that point the difficult part is explaining the purchase to the wife.
Hey - you got a very capable camera at a terrific price; go enjoy it for a while until you see where you want to go. One thing for sure: there'll always be another camera to buy.

Jer
05-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vaughn, there is another option you can consider. Since the ist* DL was not expensive, keep it as a 2nd MF-optimised camera. Put a cheap $30 USD Chinese split-prism focusing screen, maybe a M42 mount adapter on it, and explore the world of good-value classic Pentax MF lenses, rather then slow, mediocre, modern zooms. If you use 50mm F1.4-F2 primes (a Pentax-M 50/F1.7 would hit the price/performance sweet-spot), SR won't be as necessary. You can also play around with DOF. This setup won't be that useful for birding, but as a 2nd setup, would give a lot of satisfaction.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 05-04-2009 at 01:02 PM.
05-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Vaughn, there is another option you can consider. Since the ist* DL was not expensive, keep it as a 2nd MF-optimised camera. Put a cheap $30 USD Chinese split-prism focusing screen, maybe a M42 mount adapter on it, and explore the world of good-value classic Pentax MF lenses, rather then slow, mediocre, modern zooms. If you use 50mm F1.4-F2 primes (a Pentax-M 50/F1.7 would hit the price/performance sweet-spot), SR won't be as necessary. You can also play around with DOF. This setup won't be that useful for birding, but as a 2nd setup, would give a lot of satisfaction.

Dan.
I'm planning on keeping the DL either way as my 'bike' camera for bike rides. I'm loving the 50mm that I have because of the DOF and I like manual focus. I think that the thing that is driving me to more lens or camera is the birding. I think I'm leaning toward the 55-300 and selling my 50-200 for now.

05-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Ah, I forgot you've got the A50/F2. I got one of those when I upgraded from a M50/F2 purely to get AE. But I rarely use it.

Out of a Super-Tak 50/F1.4 (too much mucking around to swap the M42 adapter in and out), M50/F1.7 and A50/F2, I find myself almost always choosing the M50/F1.7 when I want to use a standard prime.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 05-04-2009 at 03:15 PM.
05-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My path

was to pass on the DL to a family member and get a K2000 kit from an authorized dealer for about $500. You may want to sell on the kit lens and flash, giving you the body for $300-$400. Sell on the DL body, and your additonal K2000 cost gets pretty small. Now you have 10MP, better noise handling, SR, and the ability to get that partridge in a pear tree.

My package came with a rebate card good for a total of $150 on the 10-17mm fisheye and the 55-300mm tele. That meant I got those, new, for the used price. If I don't like them, they'll go on the block as well. No harm done.

That assumes, of course, you have the capital in the first place. There I got lucky. Others won't be able to take advantage of this arrangement. And Pentax may have discontinued that (unmarketed) promotion.

In any case, keep shooting!
05-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #22
Banned

Original Poster
My wife actually gave the go-ahead for the upgrade!!!!

What about this deal from the marketplace on a 10D.

Or would the K2000D lens/camera/flash be the deal since I can sell the lens and get me a flash.

05-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #23
edl
Veteran Member

$425 for a K10D is a good price, especially since it's new - but having both I would prefer the K20D. The sensor produces nicer images and the increased resolution gives you more flexibility to crop.
05-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #24
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
$425 for a K10D is a good price, especially since it's new - but having both I would prefer the K20D. The sensor produces nicer images and the increased resolution gives you more flexibility to crop.
Out of my budget.. I'm trying to stay around 400-450 net. If I get the K2000 I'd go ahead and sell the lens with my DL. That's part of the deal with the missus. I could also go for a K200D for around 500 and sell the DL body.
05-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of camera features but the KM/K2000 can be had for a good price here:

Pentax K2000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DA L Lens and AF200FG Flash | Warehouse Deals: Used and Refurbished from Amazon

It is an open box unit but from what others are saying out of all the 10MP pentax cameras available now this one has the best AF. You loose a bit in terms of features compared to a K10D or K200D but it is a fairly good price.

Also looks like Amazon has the K200D body only in stock:

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-10-2MP-Digital-Camera-Reduction/dp/B0012QAXNA/r...1547080&sr=1-4

Keep your lens and use it with the new body.
05-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of camera features but the KM/K2000 can be had for a good price here:

Pentax K2000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DA L Lens and AF200FG Flash | Warehouse Deals: Used and Refurbished from Amazon

It is an open box unit but from what others are saying out of all the 10MP pentax cameras available now this one has the best AF. You loose a bit in terms of features compared to a K10D or K200D but it is a fairly good price.
I'd go for a new one. The are at a lot of places for 499 with lens & flash after the rebate. I really like the features on the other cameras such as DOF preview etc. And the K10D would also give me the ability to use motorized lenses. I also think I'd like having the dual wheels since I'm getting into manual a lot more.
05-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #27
Banned

Original Poster
Any opinion of the K2000(500) vs the K10d(425)? I'm tempted by the K10D deal in the marketplace since I like to play with manual settings and lenses. I know I'm beating this to death but I want to get a good camera I"ll be happy with for a while. I like my DL but I think I jumped the gun when I bought it. I don't want to buy the 10d and then have an outdated camera like the DL is without the SR.
05-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I imagine most will tell you the K10D is better in practically every way than the K2000, so if it's cheaper too, it should be a no brainer. I'd say it's not that simple - size & weight matter to me, and the couple of small improvements in the K2000 (new AF algorithm & perhaps somewhat better noise performance due to a differen ADC) might make it interesting. I'd say either should make you happy for a while.
05-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #29
Banned

Original Poster
I've dragged this on long enough so I'm done asking questions and taking up bandwidth. I'm going to play the cards as they come. I think I'm pretty much locked onto a K10 or 20D because I want the easy manual features that the K2000 doesn't have. I'm going to just see what pops up online and in the marketplace and pounce on what I think is a good deal. I'm also planning on keeping the DL since the KX0D's look a bit large for carrying on my bike.

Thanks to all. Until I need to discuss more lenses..
05-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Man, I'm no better off than when I started! I'm very happy for what I got with the DL kit for 260. I've more than gotten my money's worth. But it's basically been a catalyst for getting me back into 'real' photography after a 30 year hiatus. I'll take all of the recommendations and digest everything. I need to remember that I took decent photos 30 years ago with a mamiya 500DTL and a 50mm lens.

I change my mind often as you can see so I'll probably come upon a deal on lens or body and then pounce. At that point the difficult part is explaining the purchase to the wife.
Go take pics with your new *ISTDL and have some fun.

When you get some extra cash, buy your wife somthing first, then upgrade.

You all will both be happy!